When did you realise that most people are morons?

Man of Honour
People who hate other people due to how they voted during a referendum

I'm 62 and learned a long time ago that all Politicians are scum and none are there for us the people.
I had to work from 1974 to 2007 on factories who believed Labour were for the working man, what a load of tosh, none of them are.
Personally I think the most pathetic people are these voters.

Soldato
I'm not sure I would be comfortable labelling most people as morons, although I doubt that you meant that literally. I could say with certainty that the moment I decided to act and actually refuse to participate with social media was during the Scottish Independence Referendum. That was an eye opener, I've never used Facebook since. I tried Twitter during the last UK election but deleted it again. Just, no. :p

This forum is a form of social media and the only forum that I use, admittedly far too much. I can't put my finger on why I view it differently from other forms of social media. I think to be fair if PC hardware hadn't lost its appeal due to price gouging then I probably wouldn't even post in GD much at all.

There's definitely been an evolutionary leap backwards in recent years IMO. What can you do but reach to GD for good moan about it? :)

Man of Honour
This forum is a form of social media and the only forum that I use, admittedly far too much. I can't put my finger on why I view it differently from other forms of social media

Careful, I usually get flamed for saying that.
Anything that is wrote about on Facebook is also wrote about here with the only differences being:
1) On Facebook people don't go on & on arguing over the simplest thing .
2) I don't know anybody here so when they say stupid things I don't know them.

Soldato
@SexyGreyFox having considered it a bit more, I think the crucial differences between here and the likes of Facebook are:

• I decide what I read on here, nothing gets filtered. The only possible filter is the ignore facility and that's why I've only ever used it once, I just don't believe it's healthy to filter. Having said that, at least on here it's you that decides what gets filtered and not some advertising algorithm.
  • Only one single solitary advert for Noble chairs, and I've already decided I'm not buying one :p
  • No alerts on my phone here, I need to actively open the website to use the facility.
  • Anonymity is a double edged sword; freedom to express yourself honestly but unfortunately some people abuse that although most probably don't even realise they're doing it.

There's probably more.

Associate
A lot of people do stupid stuff, it's true. We seem to encourage it as a society these days. Arguably the bigger problem is how many stupid people seem to think they know better. The difference between knowing and believing seems to have been blurred almost beyond recognition, and the very vast majority of people aren't smart enough to see that, regardless of academic intelligence.

Soldato
yeah in the last few years i've seen more how selfish we are.
although with population as it is now we kind of have to be. in our society it's all about the money, it's all about the status. bigger house, bigger car, most holidays, yolo yolo yolo
even people that think they are nice aren't, when it comes down to it they would rip your face off for the last piece of food :p
just try and be nice to each other even though it's a difficult task in this overcrowded world :D

Soldato
Just LOL if you don't think most of your fellow human beings are good-for-nothing pond life, who's opinions on national events are indicative of their intelligence level and not a multifaceted unknowable composite, influenced in huge part by their immediate environments. I bet you even believe that comment sections on the Internet/those that stick out day to day acting in a way that displeases you are simply a vocal/more noticeable minority, and aren't representative of the entire populace!

Noobs.

Sounds like a self righteous facebook post all day long.

But going back to the question it was probably when I became a proper adult and had to deal with adult things like a mortgage and having a more responsible job, and seeing a general decline in moral standards over 48 years. But ask anyone who's 48 over the years they will say the same thing.

Last edited:
Associate
Lately... with the coronavirus stuff and reading peoples comments online! Being sceptical and questioning things is good, but some people don't seem to able to consider that it might not actually all be one big conspiracy and just automatically discount everything that is 'mainstream'. Also some peoples idea of 2 metres is way off! Instead of walking at the side of a path they walk in the middle - morons!

Caporegime
Many times a week. Last week’s was a doozy, when I watched a lady have a massive argument with a Sainsbury’s customer service rep who was refusing to refund her 24 packets of mince meat which she panic bought when all this kicked off.

I mist say that my sympathy system was not functioning that day. In fact I found it rather amusing, as did everyone else watching this whole saga go down.

Man of Honour
I think that we all know and accept that “most” people are not moronic, but occasionally you come across someone who gives you pause for thought.
One example for me was when I drove a Black Cab in London.
I was sitting on a rank at Canary Wharf, reading a paper, when a breathless guy appeared at my n/s window.
“Can you get me to London Bridge Station please, I’m really pushed for time?” he asked.
Canary Wharf Station was 100 metres from the rank, he could have taken the Jubilee Line, London Bridge was three stops away, but who am I to tell the customer what to do?
As I drove off, he said, “Can you go along The Highway, Upper Thames Street, then cross London Bridge near the Monument?”
I said, “I can if you wish, but Rotherhithe Tunnel, Jamaica Road, Tooley Street will be 8-10 minutes quicker, and around £1.00-£1.50 cheaper.”
“No, The Highway please.”
“The customer’s always right”, I thought, as I aimed for The Highway.
He probably made his train, but he was the one who opted for the longer route.

Soldato
I think that we all know and accept that “most” people are not moronic, but occasionally you come across someone who gives you pause for thought.
One example for me was when I drove a Black Cab in London.
I was sitting on a rank at Canary Wharf, reading a paper, when a breathless guy appeared at my n/s window.
“Can you get me to London Bridge Station please, I’m really pushed for time?” he asked.
Canary Wharf Station was 100 metres from the rank, he could have taken the Jubilee Line, London Bridge was three stops away, but who am I to tell the customer what to do?
As I drove off, he said, “Can you go along The Highway, Upper Thames Street, then cross London Bridge near the Monument?”
I said, “I can if you wish, but Rotherhithe Tunnel, Jamaica Road, Tooley Street will be 8-10 minutes quicker, and around £1.00-£1.50 cheaper.”
“No, The Highway please.”
“The customer’s always right”, I thought, as I aimed for The Highway.
He probably made his train, but he was the one who opted for the longer route.

Maybe he was claustrophobic and didn't like tunnels.

I'd rather take a cab than the tube too.

Soldato
I've held the same opinion of people since I was 12/13 (I'm about to hit 40)

You're all morons until you prove to me otherwise. Sadly very, very few have proved otherwise.

Everyone blames social media but I don't believe it's the case. What I'm about to say is going to come across as elitist.

Making technology easy to access for the masses is the problem. When I first started in IT you had to have a basic understanding of how things worked, beyond simply turning it on. That understanding required a certain level of intelligence.
The dumbing down of technology has eroded that requirement & more people of much lower intelligence are able to access things like social media.

Man of Honour
When I first started in IT you had to have a basic understanding of how things worked, beyond simply turning it on. That understanding required a certain level of intelligence.

because of a problem (that is in the Windows section on here), I had to ring our NHS IT up about 90 mins ago.

"I want to disable or uninstall Sophos from my home computer because I want to install something I know is safe but Sophos won't let me so I need a password".
"What is the NSH number of your laptop?"
"You don't need it, it is my home PC"
"Have you got a works laptop?"
"No, I am VPN'ing with my own PC"
"I still need your laptop NSH number"
"I haven't got a laptop, I'm using my own PC that I made with parts from OCUK up the road and then I make contact with my NHS PC via something like Teamviewer"
" I'll get somebody else ..................................

Repeat all the points above

"Can you send me screen grabs with your detailed problem?"

I'm now waiting but it looks like I'm going have to do a full reinstall and put Sophos on last :(

Caporegime
These days it's all about self!! Even these shows of doing good for people and posting it online is simply self promotion, like collecting.

To answer your question, I've never really had any time for people on social media or even at work as they are generally as you say...morons.
yes exactly this.

I don't get influencers or seeing people as godlike icons because they were in a band, movie, tv series or whatever.
they are normal boring people just like us so I don't get the obsession.

it's almost like people belong to different cults without realising it.

some people even have partners who will openly say stuff like "if I ever had the chance to sleep with [insert random famous person here] then you know I would have to.

and they act like their partner should be okay with it because the dood sang a couple of songs or whatever..

usually its someone idolising a person way out of their league so it would never happen anyway, but if a partner of mine said something like I'd have to just end it right there.

what kind of nonsense talk is that???

it's like me going to the pub some 10/10 woman starts hitting on me but shes 10/10? how am I supposed to resist? my partner must be okay with this right? how can she not allow me this pleasure?

you know damn well no women would be okay with that but it's basically the exact same circumstances no?

Man of Honour
because of a problem (that is in the Windows section on here), I had to ring our NHS IT up about 90 mins ago.

"I want to disable or uninstall Sophos from my home computer because I want to install something I know is safe but Sophos won't let me so I need a password".
"What is the NSH number of your laptop?"
"You don't need it, it is my home PC"
"Have you got a works laptop?"
"No, I am VPN'ing with my own PC"
"I still need your laptop NSH number"
"I haven't got a laptop, I'm using my own PC that I made with parts from OCUK up the road and then I make contact with my NHS PC via something like Teamviewer"
" I'll get somebody else ..................................

Repeat all the points above

"Can you send me screen grabs with your detailed problem?"

I'm now waiting but it looks like I'm going have to do a full reinstall and put Sophos on last :(

So you're calling a help desk dedicated to supporting NHS IT, about a problem with a personal machine?
And you're surprised they don't know how to help you? Maybe I'm missing part of the picture here but that sounds about right!

Back
Top Bottom