• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Refresh) 3900XT/3800XT/3600XT

Caporegime
Would love this. Going from 4/4 to 8/16 would be worth it, just can't justify a 6/12 upgrade. Ideally a 12/24 but that's probably overkill and will cost £450+
...which to most isn't worth it unless you have significant productivity demands.

An 8-core 4600 for ~£200 would clean up, however I suspect they'll maintain the core counts per model, at least for Zen 3. No commercial reason to give another 2 cores away at the moment.

Soldato
I suspect they'll maintain the core counts per model, at least for Zen 3.
Indeed. Reworking the CCX design into a single 8 core unit will net bigger gains than increasing core counts. 5nm shrink and a rumoured total rework of the chiplet design opens up possibilities for core count increases in Zen 4, but even then I can see that only happening at the lower and mid SKUs: 8 cores across the board with 12 and 16 if you want them. I could see a 5950X with 20 cores just to rub Intel's face in it a little more though, but unless Rocket Lake's successor moves past 10 cores (hell, rumours suggest Rocket Lake isn't even getting 10 cores) there's no commercial reason for AMD to move past 16.

I can see Threadripper holding station for the same reason.

Associate
4.6 all core overclock is not unusual for people who bought Zen 2 cpus recently (from quick look at overclock.net forums)
tech process matures
And it will still be subject to power limits, so will not be held for long.

Last edited:
Associate
4.6 all core on the 3900X would be very unusual.
how many 3900X bought after March 2020 and tested for overclock are there?
3600 is more common
Perhaps good 3900X bins are held from market to be sold as 3900XT, but 3600 are needed in higher numbers so some good silicon is now on the market

Back
Top Bottom