• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 3900X thread

Caporegime
@megatron Thanks for the helpful information. :)

Some of that looks a bit beyond my understanding (probably an understatement), but after checking out the first link I printed out my DRAM calculator settings, and then entered the BIOS to alter as many settings as I could find/was comfortable altering.

* tCL = CAS latency, right?

* tRFC (alt) I used the option tRFC (2)

* I struggled to locate the VDDP voltage and although the caluclator recommends 0.900, the most available appears to be 0.700.

* I couldn't locate the VDDG voltage at all.

* The DRAM voltage recommendation is 1.375 though the options are slightly different: 1.360 / 1.370 / 1.380, for example.

I saved and exited and booted up without issue (so far).

My main Ryzen Master settings after that bit of tweaking now reads:

AonE29R.png

----------

The first thing I've noticed after having just accessed a few sites, e.g. OcUK, is just how snappy it is in comparison to what it was before.

Last edited:
Associate
@arc@css

You have made a mistake somewhere because originally your Memory and IF were both running at 3600 now they are both only running at 2400.
You need to go and put them back to 3600 for better performance.

Caporegime
I booted into the BIOS and for some reason, it reset all the settings (greeted with a message upon entering the BIOS). I don't know why it does that, it's happened at least once before.

I'm too tired now to tinker with these settings, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Caporegime
Well, I tried reapplying yesterday's settings today and was welcomed with a blank, unresponsive screen - as well as my saved profiles being wiped. :/ The BIOS at the time, F11, was automatically reset to F10a so I've now reapplied F11.

I then reset all the timings to optimized defaults though, for some reason, some of them still remained the same e.g. tCL - still read as 16 instead of 24.

Another thing I noticed was that when PBO was enabled in the creator and gaming tabs, only 6 cores would show up in Ryzen Master and HWinfo64. Disabling PBO seemed to sort that 'problem', if it is one, out.

I double-checked that the 1usmus power plan was working, which it seems to be:

4TYIy8n.png

I've then run the DRAM calculator again but this time elected to go with safe settings. The program appears to have been updated since I last used it and some of the readings were absent this time:

cAxrfKH.png

In a mo, I'll try applying the safe settings.

Finally, it's been a while since I've looked at this stuff, so are the following additional settings correct, or is there still some I'm missing?

Global C-State Control = Enabled;

Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle;

CPPC = Enabled;

CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled;

AMD Cool & Quiet = Enabled;

PPC Adjustment = PState 0

Caporegime
Trying running Memtest pro overnight and completing a 1000% pass completion. Make sure you untick low priority before you head to bed.

If it passes with 0 errors and you get the same issue, then looks like some obscure motherboard/memory boot issue, that might be resolved by adjusting voltage and or 1 or 2 specific timings.

Caporegime
Applying the safe calculator settings resulted in a black screen as well. I may just load optimized defaults again and then simply change the tCL and other basic settings - like the ones at the bottom of my previous post.

Does 'ryzen tuned' memory mean the user doesn't have to tweak and spend time troubleshooting. Is it just plug in and go?

If anyone reading has the Gigabyte Aorus Master mobo, I'd be very interested to learn about what settings you have configured.

----------

I didn't realize you could apply some of the BIOS settings via Ryzen Master, so after having little to no luck with the above, I simply set the memory & fabric clock to be 1800, with the tCL set to 16, and the command rate to 1T. Everything else has been left on auto for the mo.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've uninstalled the Gigabyte app centre software - which seems to be what I often read that people do (may have been as much of a hindrance as a help?).

Tried applying the memory/fabric clock in Ryzen Master but despite applying it in the profile section, it still reads as 1200 (same also for HWinfo).

zsSjdnt.png

obbFYDC.png

3CatS0C.png

I'll try doing it in the BIOS.

Associate
Seems to have worked. I selected the XMP profile in the BIOS for now.

Why are you using Samsung settings when you have Crucial memory? Your sticks use Micron E die according to the part number in your cpuid screenshot. You can check your chips using Thaiphoon Burner if you want to be sure, but Micron chips definitely wont work with Samsung timings. Sorry if this has been covered before, I read back a page or two and didn't see anything :).

[EDIT - That's actually a 3200mhz part number, as you have 3600mhz XMP I assume its misreading the part number somehow?]

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why are you using Samsung settings when you have Crucial memory? Your sticks use Micron E die according to the part number in your cpuid screenshot. You can check your chips using Thaiphoon Burner if you want to be sure, but Micron chips definitely wont work with Samsung timings. Sorry if this has been covered before, I read back a page or two and didn't see anything :).

[EDIT - That's actually a 3200mhz part number, as you have 3600mhz XMP I assume its misreading the part number somehow?]

Thanks for that, it hadn't occurred to me. :)

So, I guess I'd better head over to the crucial memory thread.

Associate
Thanks for that, it hadn't occurred to me. :)

So, I guess I'd better head over to the crucial memory thread.

You're welcome dude, its a bit overwhelming as you just kinda get dumped in at the deep end with memory clocking. Just knowing where to start is half the battle :)

Associate
I've just got one of these for £380.

I have a 1700 with an Asus X370. I figured this would be the best upgrade path as the Ryzen 4000 series wouldn't work.

So, if I sell my 1700 for £100, for £280 I should be getting around a 100% performance boost right?

I think this is the best way to go and I can then do a full upgrade when we are probably on the second generation of 5nm.

Associate
What’s your temps like today? My H100i is going full pelt and the CPU is still up at 62 with just light office work Normally mid to high 40’s with almost idle fans.

Have you air dusted the radiators recently? I just did mine, it was absolutely clogged up.

Also, does anyone have any tips for 3900 initial set up? Do you overclock via bios or AMD Ryzen app? recommended overclock method?

Caporegime
OP
Have you air dusted the radiators recently? I just did mine, it was absolutely clogged up.

Also, does anyone have any tips for 3900 initial set up? Do you overclock via bios or AMD Ryzen app? recommended overclock method?
I haven’t actually. I’ve got a compucleaner so I’ll give it a blow out tomorrow. Too hot to even move off the bed atm :o

Back
Top Bottom