• iPhone 12

Votes: 39 13.4%
  • iPhone 12 Pro

Votes: 93 31.8%
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

Votes: 109 37.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
With contacts I’ve switched off apple/icloud and use Google to keep everything in sync, that way I can still access my contacts when I use gmail on different operating systems. Everything else such as reminders, notes and calendar is Apple though.

Associate
I've switched from Android to my first iPhone with this generation.

The battery life is very good - I'm using the 12 Mini so obviously when the screen is on it drains as the battery is tiny (you wouldn't have this issue with the Pro Max), but when the phone is not being used there's barely any drain at all, which coming from Android is fantastic.

What do you want to work together between Windows and Iphone? If you want to share bookmarks, the easiest way would be to use the same browser on both platforms. Emails can be dealt with in most platforms. I'm not sure about sharing contacts, but I'm sure it can't be too tricky. I've had no issues, but then I've never used my phone "with" my laptop, so have no expectations in this area.

I’ve got my current phone linked to windows with “your phone” so I can send messages via my PC and it looks like Samsung are going to go further with this in the future.
Good to hear about the battery life, have you found anything that your missing with iOS vs Android? I personally have found that things like wireless printing and using LastPass work much better on my iPad compared to my phone. I also like that Apple update your phone for longer than you get with Samsung etc.

Associate
With contacts I’ve switched off apple/icloud and use Google to keep everything in sync, that way I can still access my contacts when I use gmail on different operating systems. Everything else such as reminders, notes and calendar is Apple though.

Will keep that in mind. Currently using Microsoft To Do for cross platform reminders but not a huge fan of it.

Soldato
I’ve got my current phone linked to windows with “your phone” so I can send messages via my PC and it looks like Samsung are going to go further with this in the future.
Good to hear about the battery life, have you found anything that your missing with iOS vs Android? I personally have found that things like wireless printing and using LastPass work much better on my iPad compared to my phone. I also like that Apple update your phone for longer than you get with Samsung etc.

I think the big thing for me was that getting the browser to autofill my address details etc was much less intuitive than on Android, where you put them in once and it offers to save them. On the iPhone, it seems that you need to effectively set yourself up as a contact for that to work. I also found it odd that Apple Pay doesn't allow the browser to take your card details - I have to save my card details a second time, in the browser. Finally, I miss being able to pull down on the address bar in the browser to display all of your tabs.

They're really my only quibbles and they're minor. I come across something at least weekly still which makes me smile, whether it's something helpful happening that I didn't expect, some nicely implemented haptic feedback which feels far better than on any of my Android phones, or third party apps being seemingly much smoother on the iPhone. I'm really impressed with it tbh.

Soldato
So I ended up getting myself the iPhone 12 Pro max, totally overkill for my needs to be honestly but hey, lockdown boredom.

Only had it two days so Im still on the fence about keeping it.
The jump from Android to iPhone wasnt quite as bad as I imagined it might be, it was mostly a smooth process moving over my apps and such. Keeping all my google apps to stay within the Google 'ecosystem' as I can easily see myself switching back to Android one day at least.

Loving the premium feel of the phone itself, nothing I've had with Android has ever felt this good. Camera is incredible, iOS is really really smooth and some apps do appear to work better in iOS than in Android.
Face ID is also ridiculously quick, I prefer it to the old on screen fingerprint reader.
Androids notification system and pull down quick menu are far better, also its customisation. Not being able to have icons on the right with iOS instead of its typical left to right auto sort is really annoying.
Android settings page is also far better imo. iOS is huge and kinda confusing.

Still, learning new odds and ends every day about how it all works. Quite fun tbh.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It's impressive this was shot on an phone and not to take anything away from the film but the main these look so good is because Apple hire people with some serious film making skills to put these together. The camera in reality plays a very small part.

Have a look at the making of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pHO5hpgj7k

Yeah, despite the massive advances in camera tech in phones, Apple have been doing these videos for years at this point and they have always looked stunning. Its like any camera/video. The skill of the user and their access to all the correct equipment is far more important than the actual camera itself. Stabilisation, lighting, framing etc are massive.

Soldato
I'm such a pain when it comes to phones.

Had the iPhone 12 but decided i wanted a go at Android, picked up a Pixel 4 XL and it's just not for me, no face unlock for banking apps (seriously in 2021?) laggy OS, screen brightness is half as bright as you get on iOS.

So here i am again, thinking of the iPhone 12 pro max this time, might actually look at a contract this time round.

Currently paying £20 a month through EE for which i get 100GB of data, unlimited texts, calls, 5G and tethering.

Can either buy the phone outright @ £1099 for the 128GB model or choose a different contract.

EE are the most expensive, for the same package i have now with sim only, EE charge £73 a month with no upfront cost of the phone.

02 are offering unlimited everything for £55 a month with £179 upfront.

Suppose the best way to go would be to stick with the sim only plan i have now and buy the iPhone outright?

Soldato
Make sure you also take a look direct from Apple with their monthly iPhone payment plans or obviously the upgrade programme as well.
I've bought my last 4 iPhones outright and i tried the Apple upgrade program for the 12 but didn't qualify for some reason despite having a credit score of 690 out of 710 on the credit karma website.

I'll just buy outright again, it's only £1099 and i can keep my £20 a month EE sim only deal.

Associate
I'm such a pain when it comes to phones.

Had the iPhone 12 but decided i wanted a go at Android, picked up a Pixel 4 XL and it's just not for me, no face unlock for banking apps (seriously in 2021?) laggy OS, screen brightness is half as bright as you get on iOS.

So here i am again, thinking of the iPhone 12 pro max this time, might actually look at a contract this time round.

Currently paying £20 a month through EE for which i get 100GB of data, unlimited texts, calls, 5G and tethering.

Can either buy the phone outright @ £1099 for the 128GB model or choose a different contract.

EE are the most expensive, for the same package i have now with sim only, EE charge £73 a month with no upfront cost of the phone.

02 are offering unlimited everything for £55 a month with £179 upfront.

Suppose the best way to go would be to stick with the sim only plan i have now and buy the iPhone outright?

How did the battery life on the iPhone 12 compare to the Pixel in day to day use?

Soldato
How did the battery life on the iPhone 12 compare to the Pixel in day to day use?
Throughout the day the iPhone 12 lasted longer, also the Pixel lost battery when idle. Taking the 4 XL off charge at 5am and not using it until 7am, it would have lost 10% just being idle where as the iPhone 12 would still be at 100%.

Soldato
Throughout the day the iPhone 12 lasted longer, also the Pixel lost battery when idle. Taking the 4 XL off charge at 5am and not using it until 7am, it would have lost 10% just being idle where as the iPhone 12 would still be at 100%.

It may report 100% but it can't really be can it?

I mean the phone must be checking for the network, messages, emails coming in etc. which has to be using something however good the power saving is right?

Back
Top Bottom