• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you sell a GPU on ebay now?

Associate
Never had issues selling expensive gear on eBay, but always extra careful.
Pictures of serial on advert, fully insured postage.
My issue is with eBay, not buyers.
They say: 10% fee or maximum £1 fee depending if any promo is available.
But then the 10% becomes 12.8%, because they add another fees that aren't clearly specified, unless you spend a day searching for it.
A £300 item, which would cost you £30 in fees, now costs you £38.40. Quite a chunk more than expected.
The option to get paid without paying a fee to PayPal saves you a bit, but payment isn't immediate. Posted items, confirmed, on Thursday, received funds today. For some that would be a problem.

Soldato
I have been ripped off quite a few times selling stuff on eBay,

Do you think my 3080 would sell for £1000 cash to anyone? I could do with the money.

Where would be best place to sell?

Just checked cex pay £1054 cash wow

Last edited:
Associate
I have been ripped off quite a few times selling stuff on eBay,

Do you think my 3080 would sell for £1000 cash to anyone? I could do with the money.

Where would be best place to sell?

Just checked cex pay £1054 cash wow
mine on it for a week or two then sell

Soldato
mine on it for a week or two then sell

I would feel bad about passing it on to someone if it had been abused, these cards get hot enough as is.

Plus crypto always seems to ends up paying less than what ya think then they take it all in fees or someone closes down the website and runs off with everyones coins.

Still waiting for a my coins back from mtgox from 7 years ago.

Associate
I bought my 3060ti for £380. They are going for over £600 on ebay. I did consider selling it but I thought no chance as I'd rather keep the GPU and be able to game in 1440p.
Firstly I don't feel comfy selling stuff that's so expensive over the internet, and there'd be no guarantee i'd be able to source another one.

I do have a spare RX580 but i'm keeping that too for a spare/backup

Associate
I would feel bad about passing it on to someone if it had been abused, these cards get hot enough as is.

Plus crypto always seems to ends up paying less than what ya think then they take it all in fees or someone closes down the website and runs off with everyones coins.

Still waiting for a my coins back from mtgox from 7 years ago.
If you set it up correctly it won’t be abused. my 3080 FE is running at 200W and 50C when mining and I have a fan pointed at it from the bottom which helps with cooling a lot.

Associate
I bought my 3060ti for £380. They are going for over £600 on ebay. I did consider selling it but I thought no chance as I'd rather keep the GPU and be able to game in 1440p.
Firstly I don't feel comfy selling stuff that's so expensive over the internet, and there'd be no guarantee i'd be able to source another one.

I do have a spare RX580 but i'm keeping that too for a spare/backup

I put mine on eBay for £820 few days ago as buy it now with required immediate payment and it sold in less than an hour.
On top of that it was mining for 2 months and made me £250.
Again it wasn’t abused as it was running at 140W and 50C having extra fan blowing at it from the bottom.
And for those that say that mining is a waste of electricity it really isn’t when it’s cold outside and you have to heat your house anyway.

Soldato
I bought an AMD RX 590 for just over a ton about a year ago brand new. Got a really good deal on it on OCUK. I just sold it on ebay for £350. With a bit of casual mining on my new RTX 3060, it will become a free upgrade for twice the GPU performance. Mental. Also sold a couple of older AMD HD series cards for good money.

Soldato
If you set it up correctly it won’t be abused. my 3080 FE is running at 200W and 50C when mining and I have a fan pointed at it from the bottom which helps with cooling a lot.

Yeah its still extra use on the card, I bet I would wait months for a replacement if it died.

I used to mine years ago, but found I could make the few £ a day easier buying and selling cryto.

I think I will sell my 3080 to cex today for £1059 cash, I got it day after release and only paid £689 with watchdogs.

Then I will try and get a founders 3090 on credit with alerts, if they are still dropping???

Associate
Yeah its still extra use on the card, I bet I would wait months for a replacement if it died.

I used to mine years ago, but found I could make the few £ a day easier buying and selling cryto.

I think I will sell my 3080 to cex today for £1059 cash, I got it day after release and only paid £689 with watchdogs.

Then I will try and get a founders 3090 on credit with alerts, if they are still dropping???
They are still dropping yes but it’s more difficult than ever to get one. I’ve been trying for a while to get 3090 and no luck.
I was able to get 2x 3060 ti fe and 3080 fe before too many people were subscribed to telegram and discord notifications.
Back then 3090 lasted for hours but now they are gone in a split of a second.

Soldato
Ebay changes to bank transfer only and stops using paypal to receive payments very shortly. I have started using the new system and it is terrible.

Edit: Just messaged ebay about the 5-7 day wait for payment but having to ship stuff instantly. Ebay says soon they will have a balance system with which you can use funds instantly to buy things on ebay so for example you rely on sale of 2080ti for buy of 3090 you can turn it around same day in ebay. But for now nope, there are no longer any ways to opt out of the April 2021 upcoming changes that separate ebay and paypal.

Strange that I have had no notification this is happening. I can see it started sometime last year but there are loads of complaints about it. Maybe they have stopped transferring till they sort out their payments but I`m still using paypal. If it changes to this I will just stop selling altogether.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get prompts about it in my ebay account but as of yet I have held off doing it. I gather they are selling it it being beneficial due to lower overall fees? I think i saw a youtube vid of someone saying that yes, the fees are ever so slightly lower overall, but not much. I don't really know the implications otherwise other than it sounds like hassle. As a buyer I don't think it changes much in terms of paying, but I wonder if you still get the same bias towards buyers? It is going to be harder to get scammed or easier on the new system if you are a seller? Could we see an end to the paypal scams where they claim it was not delivered and do a chargeback or whatever?

Associate
My 1080ti Auction sold this morning, never been so nervous to post something before, from what I can tell it checks out but ill record the packing process and collection using UPS tracked and insured service, but something still makes me think its not right.

Associate
My 1080ti Auction sold this morning, never been so nervous to post something before, from what I can tell it checks out but ill record the packing process and collection using UPS tracked and insured service, but something still makes me think its not right.

I don't blame you , I would be nervous too . Wish there was a guaranteed safe way to sell gpu's online without all that...

Soldato

Have the buyers ever sold anything? And if they have is it a shared account? Too many boyfreinds on girlfreinds accounts buying stuff. Look at what they've sole - I sell to sellers only - buyers accounts don't care about feedback score.

I'll never sell on thebay now. It's a local shop/business portal these days - they've moved away from their initial idea for joe bloggs to sell his stuff. faceache market place these days - got more 2nd hand stuff than indy-shop-bay.

Most likely it'll be fine - but once bitten......

Permabanned
Never sell your items on the bay. They are a right rip off with fees for doing nothing really, and it has a reputation for dealing dodgy items which are not as described.

They are also a main reason that scapling is going on as the encourage scaplers.

Associate
what the hell, cex buying 3080 for £1450
i might go in during the week, I can play on the ps5 for a few months

i forgot i have a gtx 980 somewhere aswell, can use that

Last edited:
Associate
Ebay as a seller , well no more for me.
I sold a faulty GPU 1080 for 200£. All the way to Canada thro Ebay global Shipping.

No returns, clearly Stated for parts or not Working .

2 month Later I got a note from ebay for a charge back.
Item not As described.
Can't do nothing About it.
On the phone ebay explained they can't confirm the item I send is the one I sold.

Will not Sell on Ebay anything above 50£

Soldato
Ebay as a seller , well no more for me.
I sold a faulty GPU 1080 for 200£. All the way to Canada thro Ebay global Shipping.

No returns, clearly Stated for parts or not Working .

2 month Later I got a note from ebay for a charge back.
Item not As described.
Can't do nothing About it.
On the phone ebay explained they can't confirm the item I send is the one I sold.

Will not Sell on Ebay anything above 50£

Yeah they just side with the buyer. As a seller you got nothing. Told me that as a business I should accdept a certain percentage as a loss. I sais "I'm not a business". They dont care. They started out as a 'joe bloogs to sell his gear' outfit. Now they just want small businesses. Faceache and all the other sales places have taken over.

Two wrongs don't make a right - but I'd do the same back on summat expensive. Fuggem.

I wont be selling anything on there again.

Feel for ya!

Back
Top Bottom