• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Permabanned
I guess I was lucky but I have a 3090 on order that is going to cost more than I’d like to pay however it’s part of a wider system and I managed to get a 3090fe just watching discord for 2 weeks. I sat down at the pc as the alert popped up and was shocked to get it in my basket so had to try.

My 1080ti was 850 and two other pcs used by my son and other half have 1070ti.

Im going to pay the stupid price for my 3090 and sell the fe to a friend for msrp which is what I paid last week. Yes it’s a little painful knowing mine will be twice as much but it’s a choice I made.

prior to been lucky, I figured prebuilt was the way to go! Now I’m just determined to have the new pc.

I don't consider that lucky, I consider that insane. Sure you haven't just gotten carried away here? Then, you are entitled to be insane if you want to be, lol. Just think of all the other things you could buy for that money. I guess though if your mind is a blank when you try to think of those other things, then fair enough. :D

Associate
Selling to a friend = humble brag = pride.
I'm in the business of supporting my family. Aren't you? Sure, doing things for people is nice but don't you value the time spent/wasted. Every other person/company that bills you for something values their product/service.

Associate
I don't consider that lucky, I consider that insane. Sure you haven't just gotten carried away here? Then, you are entitled to be insane if you want to be, lol. Just think of all the other things you could buy for that money. I guess though if your mind is a blank when you try to think of those other things, then fair enough. :D

he got caught in the obsession loop

Associate
There's an old story of Glayva whiskey in the 1980s, they put the price up drastically because they were having a distillery problem and needed to cut demand. The exact opposite happened and demand went through the roof, as people perceived the product more valuable.

Associate
There's an old story of Glayva whiskey in the 1980s, they put the price up drastically because they were having a distillery problem and needed to cut demand. The exact opposite happened and demand went through the roof, as people perceived the product more valuable.
Yep. It's called a Veblen good. Where demand rises because something has a high price. Good if you can do it!

Associate

I agree it’s not lucky to be spending that amount. At the time I had a 1080ti and it seemed to be the right route to get a new gpu. Now I want the system. Yes likely very carried away but I accepted that. Also I wasn’t expecting to actually get a fe card after seeing how quick they sold on release day.

Selling to a friend = humble brag = pride.
I'm in the business of supporting my family. Aren't you? Sure, doing things for people is nice but don't you value the time spent/wasted. Every other person/company that bills you for something values their product/service.

I wasn’t about to put a 3090fe into his pc for roadblocks or Minecraft. He already needs to respect the machine he has already better.

Maybe I’m overly nice or back to the stupid zone. But I messaged that friend as soon as I bought it and said I really shouldn’t have bought it do you want it while sharing a picture of the price and order. If anything the purchase has made things worse for me mentally as I now see how my current system performs with this compared to any potential gain on the new one.

he got caught in the obsession loop

This. Once the order was placed and I’ve told myself it’s done. Can’t quite bring myself to cancel it. It would be cheaper to build it myself and get the parts from all
over instead of ocuk.

Associate
Yep. It's called a Veblen good. Where demand rises because something has a high price. Good if you can do it!

I don’t agree with the prices, sadly aware that at another supplier the card good bit cheaper but don’t really want their watercooled pc looking a bit generic.

Also aware it’s not the sensible choice. I’m just working on dealing with it still.

Associate
Even when AMD pulled ahead with Ryzen, that was after how many paper promises that they didn't deliver on?

Likewise its unwise to simply believe anything about an upcoming generation until you have and see the hard numbers from benchmarks.

Associate
Maybe I’m overly nice or back to the stupid zone. But I messaged that friend as soon as I bought it and said I really shouldn’t have bought it do you want it while sharing a picture of the price and order. If anything the purchase has made things worse for me mentally as I now see how my current system performs with this compared to any potential gain on the new one.
This doesn't surprise me. Everyone's different and appreciate things differently. FE cards are good value. Mine Ethereum with it for a bit then sell it later. You won't lose money.

Caporegime
Even when AMD pulled ahead with Ryzen, that was after how many paper promises that they didn't deliver on?

Likewise its unwise to simply believe anything about an upcoming generation until you have and see the hard numbers from benchmarks.
Exactly this. And on the GPU side they've made a fair few gaffs in over-hyping their products beyond all reality.

The 480 was going to bring VR to the masses and cause a revolution; "poor Volta" implied the Vega was more powerful than it ended up; the 5000 series were going to "disrupt the market" and all sorts of silly PR hype.

The simple fact is, you shouldn't believe anything from AMD until the reviewers have confirmed it.

Soldato
Good luck with that when miners are not there to buy the overpriced cards.

oh dear - you actually think its `miners`.... i would suggest you actually pay attention to the tech tubers, especially those closely involved in the industry (not just talking head reviewers). 5nm is 150% more expensive at the fab than 7nm and the cost escalated down stream in channel.

Soldato
oh dear - you actually think its `miners`.... i would suggest you actually pay attention to the tech tubers, especially those closely involved in the industry (not just talking head reviewers). 5nm is 150% more expensive at the fab than 7nm and the cost escalated down stream in channel.
It is miners 100%. The RRPs are fine after the costly mistake nvidia made with high end Turing pricing. Then mining came and things blew out of proportion.

In what kind of universe you live that gamers have infinite income? At some point you just buy a console.

Associate
All it needs is a small shift in the various factors that contribute to market equilibrium and it all goes **** up. Tiny margins have big impacts.

To quote Dickens from David Copperfield:

“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”

Associate
The many people that were able to continue working from home during lockdown are flush with savings and until recently didn't have many places to spend it - I can't imagine that people are willing to keep paying 4 figures for mid-high end graphics cards looking forward a couple of months, especially if Proof-of-Stake cryptocurrencies end up taking off and tanking the mining market.

VR experiences start looking so much less appealing once the hardware's price has been inflated so much that you might as well just go on a nice holiday somewhere exotic for the same money.

Back
Top Bottom