Poll: *** The official iPhone 13 (mini/pro/max) thread (The Pro Max has 120 Hz and everything!) ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Which iPhone 13 will you get?

• iPhone 13 mini

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • iPhone 13

Votes: 19 10.1%
  • iPhone 13 Pro

Votes: 73 38.8%
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Votes: 77 41.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
I can't see Apple doing any sort of in-screen fingerprint sensor UNLESS they have figured a way to make it 100% reliable.
The in screen readers are all well and good but if you read the Android forums you will find plenty of people who have issues with whichever implementation they are using be it Ultrasonic or Optical.

Doing something half, or even 3/4, baked is not Apple's style so I'd be very surprised to see it. FaceID and the Capacitive TouchID (as found on the new iPad Air) are excellent and can't see Apple straying too far from that formula.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah, I would imagine that the only way touchID comes back is in the power button and I would be amazed if that happens. They are all in on faceID and I'm happy with that.

Associate
These are good points. I agree, if Touch ID does come back, it will be in the side button like on some iPad models, and I really do believe it will.

Mask wearing has made Face ID completely impractical, forcing you instead to enter your 6 digit pin! Realistically masks will probably be required in certain situations (e.g. public transport) for at least another couple of years, so it makes sense. Unless of course they refine Face ID to work with masks, or introduce eye scanning.

Caporegime
IIRC there have been more powerful chips in Android phones in the past but how well that translates to the user experience is questionable. You're looking at how well the OS is developed and the closed versus open nature of applications.

Soldato
IIRC there have been more powerful chips in Android phones in the past but how well that translates to the user experience is questionable. You're looking at how well the OS is developed and the closed versus open nature of applications.

Ones that have graphics performance to beat the Axx chips? For as long as I've been looking at them I haven't noticed any but I may have missed something

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
Apple finally has competition and all it took was for AMD to join the mobile phone SOC market.

benchmarks show the new SOC in the upcoming galaxy obliterates all other Android phones in graphics performance and even beats the A14 to become the fastest mobile SOC processor on the market.

Now got round 2, bring in the A15 and let's fight :)

https://wccftech.com/samsung-tests-exynos-amd-gpu-results-beat-a14-bionic/

AMD really are incredible, here's hoping these chips aren't all hype and can actually back it

Soldato
I'd like this to be true, but I can't see anything in the article that screams 'this is credible'.

Anyway, if you read the Apple forums on Reddit, you'll "know" that Apple are going to keep doubling the cores on the M1 to infinity and still retain a 15W power draw, so AMD are doomed.

Soldato
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/03/08/iphone-14-android-like-hole-punch-camera/

well rumours like this, so I think we could see quite a change with 14.

I don't see how switching to a punch hole - something Androids have had for years - is a major change. Even an under display camera isn't particularly exciting, unless you happen to despise any form of notch or punch hole.

To me a major change is a 10-day battery life, or a folding screen (which is something Samsung already sells).

Soldato
I don't see how switching to a punch hole - something Androids have had for years - is a major change. Even an under display camera isn't particularly exciting, unless you happen to despise any form of notch or punch hole.

To me a major change is a 10-day battery life, or a folding screen (which is something Samsung already sells).
I know on other forums/threads I'd get castigated for saying so but I honestly prefer the iPhone notch to the hole punch. Having used Android exclusively, until I got the iPhone 12, personally I found the hole punch to be the worst 'development' ever. I would even rather have a forehead on the phone than the hole punch. No matter it's implementation it just sticks out like a, like a hole in the screen. Conversely the notch, while far from ideal, sort of just blends in and you really do forget it's there.

I can't see it but I'd be very disappointed if Apple went down that particular rabbit hole[punch:p].

Back
Top Bottom