3 dead and 5 wounded in suspected Terror attack in Germany - not even headline news anymore.

Soldato
OP
Seriously, I just can't be bothered to pursue your argument here either.

You know an apology for falsely smearing my character by stating as fact (not opinion) that I created this thread as "a thinly disguised attempt to stoke racism targeting Muslims" despite clearly knowing very little about me or my character would have been nice to be honest, rather than your actual reply, which is a shame.

I mean it's OK to admit when you've made a mistake, even if it's to someone you apparently dislike, as it hopefully prevents people repeating the same mistake over and over.

Caporegime
So i'll presumably find this quote if I read the links in their entirety then?

Using these links, the same ones you're chastising stockhausen for using.

Ok, i'll read them in their entirety...

Hmmm... can't see it in that one. Only 'a witness'.

Can't see it there either... 'one witness'.

Can't find it in the third one either.

So which of your three links did that quote come from then, humour me? Presumably the paywalled end of the WSJ one, because it's certainly not from your BBC or reuters links.

If you want to start calling people out for 'mistakes' because they quote stuff that you linked them to, maybe you ought to start providing better links in the first place, or reading them yourself. It's laughable trying to now make out stockhausen is the one who has made a mistake when Tefal has turned up 20 posts later with better information than you provided in the first place.

It's hard to tell whether you simply can't understand the very simple point i'm making or whether you're being deliberately dishonest in your approach to posting.

Edit - I suppose he could be seen to have made one obvious mistake in post #141 - he trusted that you had actually provided him with some good and relevant links to back up your point, when you'd actually done nothing of the sort.

It was from some local German news site that's still in my feed from when I worked there.

Sorry I should have linked, probably easiest to find it by googling the quote now

Caporegime
In 2001,

Diseases of heart - 700142
Malignant neoplasms - 553768
Cerebrovascular diseases - 163538
Chronic lower respiratory diseases - 123013
Accidents (unintentional injuries) - 101537
Diabetes mellitus - 71372
Influenza and pneumonia - 62034
Alzheimer’s disease - 53852
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis - 39480
Septicemia - 32238
Intentional self-harm (suicide) - 30622
Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis - 27035

Just for context, 9/11 clearly deserved a response... though it would have been great if it didn't appear to be pointless in the end. However, surely the above requires more attention from a purely statistical POV?

Associate
Regular murder happens all the time, small news air time. A handful of people get killed in a terrorist attack and it's wall to wall coverage about it for days/weeks. Emotive subjects get selected as important by news editors and the cycle is complete - terrorists got what they wanted; terror.

StriderX's stats are great, I think those are just for America. If global stats, terrorism on average barely registers compares to 7.7(?) billion people. Terrorism is bad. I get it. It deserves the correct amount of response. Natural disasters cause way more deaths, maybe we should focus on seeing what we could do to prevent those deaths before worrying too much about terrorism. (global warming?) It's an optimisation problem. A coder doesn't spend 99% of their time trying to save 1fps, they focus on the biggest chunk of the problem to save the most fps* gaming analogy ;)

Humans just aren't great about the big threats like air pollution, coz we cant see it, its existential, or ethereal; without one big event. But our brains go nuts when we see a single big event, coz you can film it and stick it on repeat (and replay it in our minds after seeing it).

We're also not good with numbers. I like to visualise the world population as 1 cubic millimetre for 1 person. So 1 billion people would be a line of those one metre long (1000), squared (1 million), cubed (1 billion). Each cubic metre is 1 billion cubic millimetres :). Now place seven cubic metres stacked on top of each other. That's the world population - maybe add another 70cms on top. Now take off a strip 1mm x 3mm x 1metre, that's the number of people that died on 9/11. Now take off 7mm x 1metre x 1metre, that's 7 million, around the total deaths per year from air pollution.

Last edited:
Soldato
In 2001,

Diseases of heart - 700142
Malignant neoplasms - 553768
Cerebrovascular diseases - 163538
Chronic lower respiratory diseases - 123013
Accidents (unintentional injuries) - 101537
Diabetes mellitus - 71372
Influenza and pneumonia - 62034
Alzheimer’s disease - 53852
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis - 39480
Septicemia - 32238
Intentional self-harm (suicide) - 30622
Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis - 27035

Just for context, 9/11 clearly deserved a response... though it would have been great if it didn't appear to be pointless in the end. However, surely the above requires more attention from a purely statistical POV?

You are putting natural causes of death against terrorist killings?

You're a new kind of apologist and a sick one at that.

Soldato
You are putting natural causes of death against terrorist killings?

You're a new kind of apologist and a sick one at that.

Why are you apologizing for terrorism.

This thread is about does the media in the UK not give enough reporting priority on domestic German crime.

Soldato
Lets ask the question differently how does a religion start.

Why don't you stick with what you asked in the first post?
What are you really trying to say?

But to answer you 2nd question
The earliest archeological evidence of religious ideas dates back several hundred thousand years, to the Middle and Lower Paleolithic periods.

"Starting a religion will require a significant amount of planning. You can start by writing down your ideas about why you want to invent a new religion."
"Develop a cosmology. If your religion intends to explain broad questions about the origin of the universe,"
"Develop a list of your religion’s core tenets."
"Then get a bunch of weak willed people to follow you"

Associate
Well, lets not lose our heads (worrying) over terrorism ;) there are 29 things more likely to kill you first, according the those graphs.

For every Mary killed by a terrorist, 341 people died from cancer. From the graph: 17.08 / 0.05 = 341.

Now show the news with those ratios of air time.

Last edited:
Soldato

The earliest archeological evidence of religious ideas dates back several hundred thousand years, to the Middle and Lower Paleolithic periods.

"Starting a religion will require a significant amount of planning. You can start by writing down your ideas about why you want to invent a new religion."
"Develop a cosmology. If your religion intends to explain broad questions about the origin of the universe,"

Kinda implies they are all made up. ..

Soldato

Kinda implies they are all made up. ..

Associate
Okay so I guess if your daughter gets raped and killed then you can console yourself because you can commit suicide and therefore it evens out in the stats.

What the actual #### is wrong with you people? I'm starting to think maybe Europe splitting off into secession in some places is the way forward.

Except the liberals like to ruin a place and then move on from the #### hole they created...or live in gated communities.

Back
Top Bottom