NR200 Owner's Thread

Associate
Has anyone done any testing with intake fans on bottom for the gpu? I’ve just thrown some in loose under my 1660 super to see what they’d do and actually knock 4c off the gpu temp while gaming. (Arctic p12 @50% ~1000rpm)

Long term I plan to get a 3070/80 when possible, so it would be good to know any temp differences people have had with higher power/tdp cards? Thanks

Soldato
Has anyone done any testing with intake fans on bottom for the gpu? I’ve just thrown some in loose under my 1660 super to see what they’d do and actually knock 4c off the gpu temp while gaming. (Arctic p12 @50% ~1000rpm)

Long term I plan to get a 3070/80 when possible, so it would be good to know any temp differences people have had with higher power/tdp cards? Thanks

This is quite well done.

Associate
Hello everyone

I'm looking to upgrade my son's aging i5 2500K system for his birthday, and planning on an NR200 (mesh panel) build. This will be a gaming rig while also supporting his VFX studies.

Based on some really useful posts in this thread I think I'm on the right track with the following components, but just wanted to sanity check:

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280
PSU: Corsair SF750 80 Plus Platinum
Bottom fans: 2 x Noctua NF-A12x15 (Intake)
Top fans: 2 x Noctua NF-A12x25 (Exhaust)
HDD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCIe 4.0 M.2
RAM: 64Gb (2 x 32Gb) of something, suggestions appreciated.

We'll be reusing his existing 1070 GPU for now, pending an upgrade to something bigger, so need to bear that in mind.

Any potential pitfalls to the above that spring to mind?

Soldato
Hello everyone

I'm looking to upgrade my son's aging i5 2500K system for his birthday, and planning on an NR200 (mesh panel) build. This will be a gaming rig while also supporting his VFX studies.

Based on some really useful posts in this thread I think I'm on the right track with the following components, but just wanted to sanity check:

We'll be reusing his existing 1070 GPU for now, pending an upgrade to something bigger, so need to bear that in mind.

Looks fine but I'd be tempted to save money on the Cpu and motherboard because I really dont imagine you'd see the benefit.

Associate
Looks fine but I'd be tempted to save money on the Cpu and motherboard because I really dont imagine you'd see the benefit.

Thanks for looking Hedge. My son is doing a lot of rendering work as part of his studies, so my thinking was that the extra cores might come in handy there. I liked the option of the second M.2 slot on the AORUS, as that gives him scope to add another drive at some point with minimal clutter. Open to suggestions though.

Associate
Hello everyone

thats pretty similar to my setup,

except i have a 5950x and 16GB ram, i choose my CPU based on availability at the time and decided i didnt want any bottlenecks/future proofing
re ram make sure you really need 64GB, thats gonna cost, but if its needed then it is!
my GPU is the Nitro 6800XT which is quite a beast, but that freezer is also a monster, so wold would need to think carefully if getting a GPU later size wise,

3iSbS16.jpg

1l7vYyt.jpg

Soldato
Thanks for looking Hedge. My son is doing a lot of rendering work as part of his studies, so my thinking was that the extra cores might come in handy there. I liked the option of the second M.2 slot on the AORUS, as that gives him scope to add another drive at some point with minimal clutter. Open to suggestions though.

I suppose if he's getting setup for his studies and want something to last then it's all good. It's just for the majority of us the absolute max of everything isn't needed. I have the B550I aurus motherboard(also 2 slots) myself which has been great so I imagine the x570 is much the same.

I know this also might sound daft because there's always something round the corner, but this time next year we will likely be on next gen cpus and ddr5 memory. I'm not as clued up on hardware as most here but I'd probably be a bit annoyed if I paid absolute top dollar on all the high end stuff only to have it trumped by a whole new generation in 6 months.

I dunno how likely that is mind.

Associate
thats pretty similar to my setup

Looks like a nice build that, MaDMax.

re ram make sure you really need 64GB, thats gonna cost, but if its needed then it is!

Might look into that some more actually, can probably get away with 32GB. Lower profile the better I'm guessing?

my GPU is the Nitro 6800XT which is quite a beast, but that freezer is also a monster, so wold would need to think carefully if getting a GPU later size wise,

If we went for a 3 slot card then we might have to lose the bottom fans I think. Looking at some other NR200 builds there look to be a good few that have squeezed a 3090 in there!

Last edited:
Associate
I know this also might sound daft because there's always something round the corner, but this time next year we will likely be on next gen cpus and ddr5 memory. I'm not as clued up on hardware as most here but I'd probably be a bit annoyed if I paid absolute top dollar on all the high end stuff only to have it trumped by a whole new generation in 6 months.

I dunno how likely that is mind.

Not daft at all, I know exactly what you mean. Historically I've tried to build the kids systems with high end components that would deliver decent performance for a good few years, just perhaps needing a GPU upgrade. It seems to have worked out pretty well I think.

Soldato
The issue with DDR5 is that because it will be new, there is no chance 64gb of it in two sticks will be anywhere near the price of DDR4.

I’m not sure exactly what workload you are planning on but rendering doesn’t tend to benefit from faster ram once the ram is fast enough, it’s normally that you just don’t have enough of it.

It’s almost certainly a given that motherboards will jump up in cost again because of the new requirements, game again when PCIe5 comes in.

You might be better off going ATX if you need to add more storage. Big SSDs aren’t cheap and you can’t really add any hard drives if you are using AIO cooling.

Associate
Looks like a nice build that, MaDMax.

Might look into that some more actually, can probably get away with 32GB. Lower profile the better I'm guessing?

If we went for a 3 slot card then we might have to lose the bottom fans I think. Looking at some other NR200 builds there look to be a good few that have squeezed a 3090 in there!
Thanks do love its stealthy looks with a slight led glow in the evenings :)

I think my card is a2.5 slot, and i have 2x noctua af15 fans on the bottom, with some sticky spacers on them hold off the card, so yeah a 3 slot will push out the fans, however, you could mount the fans externally on the bottom if you needed to!

Re the memory, you probably don’t really need low profile stuff, however your not going to be gazing thru the grille with that freezer cooler, so you may as well get the lowest profile basic looking ram available as it makes it a bit easier routing all the cables,

Soldato
OP
You might be better off going ATX if you need to add more storage. Big SSDs aren’t cheap and you can’t really add any hard drives if you are using AIO cooling.

There are two 2.5" drive mounts under the front plate in the NR200 if needed. I had a thick 4TB drive in mine for a bit.

Associate
I think my card is a2.5 slot, and i have 2x noctua af15 fans on the bottom, with some sticky spacers on them hold off the card, so yeah a 3 slot will push out the fans, however, you could mount the fans externally on the bottom if you needed to!

Re the memory, you probably don’t really need low profile stuff, however your not going to be gazing thru the grille with that freezer cooler, so you may as well get the lowest profile basic looking ram available as it makes it a bit easier routing all the cables,

Think I might be erring towards skipping the bottoms fans to begin with and seeing how I get on.

There are two 2.5" drive mounts under the front plate in the NR200 if needed. I had a thick 4TB drive in mine for a bit.

Good to know there's potential to add some more drives if needed - thanks McPhee.

Associate
On a slight side note, I managed to get hold of one of these so I can finally move my decent spec ATX PSU into my NR200

ngxn88hstld71.jpg

Soldato
You can mount a 3.5" HDD on the front of the PSU cage/bracket - assuming there's nothing else taking up that space.

That stems back to my original post, the person who I was responding to would like to use an AIO so you can’t use that space for a hard drive. You are stuck with slow 2.5” hard drives in the front.

Associate
Didn't know that existed, how does it work surely it limits you even more to what you can install?

It mounts to the front of the case, for my build it's not really changed any compatibility - but I don't have any bog coolers - also it sits just above the GPU for anything that's a little longer than the 3070FE.

Here's a photo, please excuse the fact that the systems needs dusting and the cable management sorting out, it's on the to do list for one evening this week!

dhCiv8J.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom