Disgusting display of Racism

Caporegime
Screenshot-20210730-161759-Drive.jpg

50.6% BAME and growing yet Leicester are still offering these grants

BAME Postgraduate scholarships – University of Leicester

The University of Leicester’s College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities is offering scholarships to postgraduate students from ethnic minorities to increase diversity in academia.

Award amount: The awards include a full tuition fee waiver and academic support and mentoring.

Mindblowing.

Soldato
The sad thing about this part of the post, is that if you really read it through and thought about my initial point in this thread, you would have some sort of epiphany.

You are almost there!

This post?

If only our ancestors, both here and elsewhere in the western world, hadn't completely ***** up the social and economic development and integration of black people into our society ay? You are looking at the consequence of enslaving a whole race and treating them as sub-humans with limited rights/subjecting them to constant racism and discrimination.

You may not have had to start stupid threads like this one.

Something like that takes generations and generations to fix.

It so I can only assume by saying 'our ancestors' you must mean your are descended from the gentry?

Because your initial post was nonsence.

Muslims slaved more blacks over a longer period of time than white Europeans

Far more white Europeans were taken as slaves by African slavers than Africans taken to what is now the USA by European slavers and most White people had little to no involvement in any of this.

Caporegime
It so I can only assume by saying 'our ancestors' you must mean your are descended from the gentry?

Because your initial post was nonsence.

Muslims slaved more blacks over a longer period of time than white Europeans

Far more white Europeans were taken as slaves by African slavers than Africans taken to what is now the USA by European slavers and most White people had little to no involvement in any of this.

What does slavery elsewhere or conducted by others have to do with black British people attending Cambridge?

Caporegime
What does slavery elsewhere or conducted by others have to do with black British people attending Cambridge?

Because you are effectively saying it's fine to be racist against white people on the basis of actions taken hundreds of years ago.

But actually black people in Africa are taking slaves and have done for many years, therefore you should be able to discriminate against all people with African heritage on that basis?

We thought the idea was to stamp racism out?

We support equality.

Man of Honour
[snip]

50.6% BAME and growing yet Leicester are still offering these grants

BAME Postgraduate scholarships – University of Leicester

The University of Leicester’s College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities is offering scholarships to postgraduate students from ethnic minorities to increase diversity in academia.

Award amount: The awards include a full tuition fee waiver and academic support and mentoring.

Mindblowing.

You posted stats that show the entire makeup of students, can almost guarantee that BAME stat doesn't translate into postgraduate.

Also wait until you see they have specific ones for Chinese students, asylum seekers, commonwealth students, Syrians/Lebanese/Jordanians/Palestinians, the horror!!

Caporegime
Because you are effectively saying it's fine to be racist against white people on the basis of actions taken hundreds of years ago.

I'm not. I dont think it is necessarily racist for someone to donate money in an attempt to help the black community have increased representation/success in getting into the country's top universities.

The real question that should be being asked, is why black people were underrepresented in the first place. Which is where my original point comes from.

Caporegime
I'm not. I dont think it is necessarily racist for someone to donate money in an attempt to help the black community have increased representation/success in getting into the country's top universities.

Why not? Discriminating on the basis of race is generally accepted to be racism. Some might try to frame this as so-called positive discrimination, but that's a naive view that just wants to adjust group outcomes without really taking into account any fairness or attempting to address any actual underlying issues.

Caporegime

The real question that should be being asked, is why black people were underrepresented in the first place. Which is where my original point comes from.

So explain why Leicester Uni is now over 50% BAME and still offering grants ONLY to bame students?

Given the 80% 15% split of the population shouldn't leciester now be offering incentives to anyone BUT bame as they are vastly over represented.

University places are not infinite therefore we can conclude that non bame students to are being forced out of these places unless we can address the balance.

Caporegime
Why not? Discriminating on the basis of race is generally accepted to be racism. Some might try to frame this as so-called positive discrimination, but that's a naive view that just wants to adjust group outcomes without really taking into account any fairness or attempting to address any actual underlying issues.

Im not so sure. I think it really depends on the motivation/intention/reasons for doing so.

I appreciate it is a difficult area (ie when does the good motivation for helping equality etc go too far the other way).

Caporegime
So explain why Leicester Uni is now over 50% BAME and still offering grants ONLY to bame students?

Given the 80% 15% split of the population shouldn't leciester now be offering incentives to anyone BUT bame as they are vastly over represented.

University places are not infinite therefore we can conclude that non bame students to are being forced out of these places unless we can address the balance.

Is that the UK domiciled figure?

Caporegime
Is that the UK domiciled figure?

Its not 50/50.

According to the UK census.

Main facts and figures
  • according to the 2011 Census, the total population of England and Wales was 56.1 million, and 86.0% of the population was White
  • people from Asian ethnic groups made up the second largest percentage of the population (at 7.5%), followed by Black ethnic groups (at 3.3%), Mixed/Multiple ethnic groups (at 2.2%) and Other ethnic groups (at 1.0%)
  • among the specific ethnic groups, people from the White British ethnic group made up the largest percentage of the population (at 80.5%), followed by Other White (4.4%) and Indian (2.5%)

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...ations/population-of-england-and-wales/latest

Caporegime
Well i would say yes, then they have a potential issue the other way then.

Bradford uni

Ethnicity: A large percentage [55.1%] of undergraduate students at the University identified as Asian
in 2017/18. The university has seen a decrease in white students and from 2013/14 to 2017/18, this
number has reduced by 1,236 students. Another sharp decrease in student ethnicity groupings has
been the number who identify as black undergraduate students, which has fallen by 36.3% in
numbers, and from 10.4% to 8.5% of the total from 2013/14 to 2017/18 (see Figure 33)

Soldato
I'm genuinely impressed at how hard you've tried to convince yourself this makes any sense. I assume you've never actually hired someone for a job, and if you have, you should probably stop and ask someone else to do it for you - because if you think a Saturday job during uni is the most important thing when it comes to hiring people, you really need to learn how to actually interview.

I think he has a good point. The one with the Saturday job will have certain life experiences that the one without didn't. And if everything else is equal then that might sway me to pick the one that has more experience in life and hence possible more mature. Remember, in this case, I wouldn't know who's the black or white person.

Soldato
If only our ancestors, both here and elsewhere in the western world, hadn't completely ***** up the social and economic development and integration of black people into our society ay? You are looking at the consequence of enslaving a whole race and treating them as sub-humans with limited rights/subjecting them to constant racism and discrimination.

I have wondered this and played out some thought experiments on this. Perhaps if we have never enslaving black people. There would be almost no black people in the US and Europe and we'd be a far more homogeneous culture like in China, Japan or India. Would our view of black people be better or worse than it is now? I honestly don't know.

Back
Top Bottom