• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Caporegime
Maybe the vRAM will be an issue, but there are updates to come for this yet I would have thought. Even if after updates and everything it is absolutely shown to be the vRAM which is the limitation, and that is the worst that happens, it's not exactly a disaster rendering the game unplayable.

I'm of the belief that 10GB will be enough, but not so much that I'm going to sit on a hill and hold a position forever - If it's proven not to be "enough" but that video is what happens? Fine.

I would ask why in the settings screen at the bottom, it suggests that it will need only 6.82gb of vRAM though, unless I'm missing something obvious. If it thinks it will need 7GB, and in actuality try to use over 10GB, it does seem that there are significant improvements to be made down the line.

Exactly, if the game does indeed need/require that vram, then great, it's settled, we finally have one game where having more vram is "required" (anything else that has been brought up has been 100% disproved with various solid pieces of evidence) but that's the problem with FC 6, we still don't know for sure what the issues are and people still have yet to provide a good answer to these questions:

- why didn't techpowerup, toms hardware, guru3d etc. etc. not see the same problems? If it was absolutely down to vram and nothing else, surely all sites should be reporting the same?
- why did jokers 3080ti drop to 5 fps (similar to what PCGH have reported for the 3080) in his game and all of a sudden taking a screenshot brought fps back up, seems a bit odd, no?
- iirc the game is also not launching/crashing on gpus with<6gb vram, funny how this seems to also be a first
- this is a first for where a game "runs" out of vram and fps drops entirely, do you really think that is normal or more a sign of something hasn't been optimised/implemented correctly? Bearing in mind, ubi have said they are working on it.....
- why does some footage with higher vram cards look like textures aren't rendering/loading properly too?

I didn't but I was swapping between FSR on/off. I did quickly start a new game and while legging it through the intro I did find a spot where the FPS tanked with per app VRAM showing at 9431MB!. At the ladders that take you back out of the sewers if anyone wants to check the spot out :)

So the exact same spot as joker had that problem, should try taking a screenshot to see if that fixes it.

Caporegime
It looks more like the benchmark is just "buggy" on NVidia hardware, there's something very wrong when the stated minimum fps doesn't bear any resemblance to the graph right next to it and it can't be VRAM related if it's also happening on RTX3090.

Caporegime
It looks more like the benchmark is just "buggy" on NVidia hardware, there's something very wrong when the stated minimum fps doesn't bear any resemblance to the graph right next to it and it can't be VRAM related if it's also happening on RTX3090.
It happens on AMD too, watch this.

It's just a glitch at the very end of the benchmark that affects both vendors GPUs.

Soldato

I can barely hit 80% GPU usage on the bench at 1440p whereas looks like matt's 6900XT stays above 90% a lot of the time. I am cleary single thread limited but who is to blame ? :p

Caporegime
I can barely hit 80% GPU usage on the bench at 1440p whereas looks like matt's 6900XT stays above 90% a lot of the time. I am cleary single thread limited but who is to blame ? :p
To be fair if you watch the full video, even my utilisation drops half way through, but at the start it's up over 90%. Our GPUs are just too fast. ;)

Associate
How is this performing on a 6800XT? I'm working at the minute so can't spend too long looking, but would be good to see a comparison there. The 6900XT is a more powerful GPU than the 3080 anyway I thought, regardless of vRAM.

Apologies if its been shown already, should definitely be spending less time reading here...

Caporegime
How is this performing on a 6800XT? I'm working at the minute so can't spend too long looking, but would be good to see a comparison there. The 6900XT is a more powerful GPU than the 3080 anyway I thought, regardless of vRAM.

Apologies if its been shown already, should definitely be spending less time reading here...
I do have one sitting here, I'll try and put up some numbers for you later today.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Silky smooth on a 3090FE & 5950X here.

Don’t know what all the fuss is about. :p

Only managed a couple of hours on it last night but so far I don’t begrudge the £39.99 I paid for it. Seems a good game, albeit I’ve only scratched the surface.

EDIT: 4K TV sofa gaming.

Soldato

I blame Intel for not releasing Alderlake already as it's clear the current CPUs are not good enough. ;)

Soldato
I see AMD getting creative with their sponsored message about VRAM.

I saw a guy getting 85fps and getting the VRAM message. He just closed ubisoft connect so the message went away and 5 hours later not a single problem.

Caporegime
I see AMD getting creative with their sponsored message about VRAM.

I saw a guy getting 85fps and getting the VRAM message. He just closed ubisoft connect so the message went away and 5 hours later not a single problem.
I think you mean Ubisoft and I guess this is the message you are referring to?
rMUWB4b.png

Seems to appear on cards with less than of 10GB regardless of GPU vendor, when video memory allocation is close to full capacity. I've seen it on my 580 8GB when trying to run 4K max settings.

Associate
People running this on W10 or W11? I am on Windows 11 and have yet to see the VRAM issue on my 3080, its watercooled but the back of it is getting really hot and causing teh RAM to get hot also, not experienced that with any other game

Associate

And here's a look from the complete other side of the spectrum. Seems like the game scales down quite well to really low end hardware with the aid of FSR

Soldato
I finally got around to trying FC 6 and my first reactions were very negative. It had low res textures and really did not look good at all, even with 4K, HD textures and ultra settings.

Then I remembered I had updated my Nvidia 3080 drivers and had not rebooted. So a reboot later, and back into the game and things look much much better. I am using ultra settings apart from motion blur and graphically it is very decent with good lighting and particle effects. RT is there and is fine for what it does but the overall look and feel of the graphics is very good.

FSR allows me to play at 4K, ultra settings on an RTX3080. Though only about an hour in to it.

Is there any ay to disable the DoF? I hate DoF.

Soldato
I'm not sure whether to bother with this until I upgrade. Can't even get locked 60fps on FC5.

GPU happy at 40k/60 as dropping gpu res/settings etc doesn't help.

Trusty 4790k ready for the retirement home in the next decent cpu release cycle

Back
Top Bottom