Ole's sacked, who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
I honestly think that if you got the right manager in we could be competing with probably 3 signings.

A good manager would use VdB and Sancho. We need another CM, (2 if Pogba goes) and a new RB in all likelihood. The rest of the team is fine and I think a good manager would transform some of our players. The BS about players not being able to press is just that. Its really not a hard part of the game to get someone to do. Its potentially hard to get a team to do it well but on an individual level players just need to know when to press and how to press and that comes from the manager.

I don't even care if it takes 2-3 years to compete for titles or do well in the CL. I just want to watch a United team that has an identity for the first time in a decade.

Absolutely we could. This idea of needing a complete rebuild is nonsense.

Yes, we do need improvements in central midfield, but aside from that, it's fine. You don't need to have an amazing player in every position, no team does. You compensate for that with coaching and tactics - something we don't have.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Absolutely we could. This idea of needing a complete rebuild is nonsense.

Yes, we do need improvements in central midfield, but aside from that, it's fine. You don't need to have an amazing player in every position, no team does. You compensate for that with coaching and tactics - something we don't have.

When Mourinho left people were claiming that the whole team needed to be binned off and rebuilt with perhaps Pogba and DDG staying and then we went on a crazy run of for in Oles first few months simply from the new manager bounce and teams not knowing how to deal with our "new" style.

I think Conte would have needed a larger rebuild to play the football he likes simply because its far more bottom heavy than our current set of players but most other managers who don't play that formation wouldn't have an issue.

I still think Ronaldo was a massive mistake and will probably be the one that costs Ole his job but hopefully a better manager can figure out how to use him without sacrificing the rest of the team for it.

Soldato
I still think Ronaldo was a massive mistake and will probably be the one that costs Ole his job but hopefully a better manager can figure out how to use him without sacrificing the rest of the team for it.

I totally agree and goes back to what I said about signing players for the myth and not the reality. Sure, Ronaldo will score goals. Sure, he's a media sensation, sure he sells merch all over the world.

Is he a player the team, particularly, Solskjaer's current team needed right now? No, he's about as far away from that as you could get. Things won't get any better until decisions like these aren't taken. That's not going to be solved by sacking the manager, or even changing the owners. It's a cultural thing.

Man of Honour
I'm not convinced on the Ronaldo thing. Just look at him as a centre forward in isolation, you can work with someone that good. It can be made to work - quite easily, really.

This is not a new problem, we've been patchy throughout Solskjaer's entire tenure. As the squad gets better, the form stays the same.

The only negative with Ronaldo is that he's so capable of individual brilliance that he's keeping Ole in a job longer than necessary. :( So on that front it's a bad signing!

fez

fez

Caporegime
The only negative with Ronaldo is that he's so capable of individual brilliance that he's keeping Ole in a job longer than necessary. :( So on that front it's a bad signing!

What do you think has changed this year to make our form so awful. I have been saying we are devoid of tactics, shape and coaching for years but this is the first year where we are so disjointed as a team that not even a collection of good players can function well enough to beat the crap teams. Ronaldo is that change for me. We could rely on the likes of Cavani to do what they were told and Rashford and Greenwood to dig us out regularly enough. This season Ronaldo offers so little and is so greedy as a striker that hes just completely unbalanced the team.

I think that a better manager would make better use of Ronaldo and not suffer the same level of issues as Ole but I don't think he is good for the team no matter the coach.

Soldato
I'm not convinced on the Ronaldo thing. Just look at him as a centre forward in isolation, you can work with someone that good. It can be made to work - quite easily, really.

Yeah I agree. I think in a good, functional team, with players around him that work harder off the ball, both going forwards and backwards, he's still an exceptional player. With Pogba, Fernandez, Rashford and Greenwood though. Even Cavani. And McTomminay and Fred behind them? Hmmm. Ronaldo also seems to make everyone try to play and retain the ball further up the pitch to play to his strengths, which means the CBs are more exposed. Just not a good fit for this team/squad.

These are all problems that are fixable, but there has to be compromise and adjustments somewhere. No coaches come with magic wands. Varane should have gone somewhere towards it, but he's never fit.

Edit - Pogba's injury will be interesting. Matic in a 3 might provide a better foundation and VdB *should* get a game or 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
Who are Man Utd likely to get? Honestly, I think the only manager who would take the job now is someone on an interim basis. Something similar to Guus Hiddink or Rafa Benetiz at Chelsea. However I think the only person for that sort of job available now is Sam Alladyce.

I've seen reports of Zidane for the job but I am not sure he would take it or even be the right man for the job.

Soldato
Who are Man Utd likely to get? Honestly, I think the only manager who would take the job now is someone on an interim basis. Something similar to Guus Hiddink or Rafa Benetiz at Chelsea. However I think the only person for that sort of job available now is Sam Alladyce.

I've seen reports of Zidane for the job but I am not sure he would take it or even be the right man for the job.

In a way that does not matter, right now Ole cannot get a tune out of that group of players and needs to.

But also disagree with you, man utd are still a big draw for a lot of managers and players. They can also afford to pay a club the comp, and a good wage.

Soldato
I doubt someone will come in and instantly turn them around. So much weight on the managers being the difference. The team has no leaders on the pitch. No togetherness.

Caporegime
I doubt someone will come in and instantly turn them around. So much weight on the managers being the difference. The team has no leaders on the pitch. No togetherness.

We have the former Porto captain, the current Portugal captain, the current Sweden captain. Not to mention Bruno who is a great leader.

fez

fez

Caporegime
We have the former Porto captain, the current Portugal captain, the current Sweden captain. Not to mention Bruno who is a great leader.

And a better team than when Ole arrived, and Ole managed to go on a ridiculous run of form. This always happens when a good team with good players is god awful. People forget that they are a fantastic bunch of players.

I will be amazed if we are not massively better with any new manager. Anyone but one of the idiots currently working under Ole which is my current fear.

Man of Honour
Yes, nothing concrete out of the club but all things considered, he must be gone.

Zidane would be an interesting appointment. Not too clued up on how he operates but he will command respect, and achieved impressive things at Madrid - regardless of how good the squad was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom