Ole's sacked, who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are three points off 13th place Southampton, thank god there's a break :(
Chelsea, Arsenal and Villareal on the horizon, that will be a test. No offence to any Watford fans either, no easy games at the mo ....

He'll be gone as soon as top 4 isn't mathematically possible. Champions League next round also looks difficult as all it takes is an Atalanta win at home vs YB, then a draw vs Villarreal isn't enough. From what I can see, an Atalanta win means we'll need to beat VR. A win for Atalanta and a draw puts us all on 8 points, but our GD of +1 isn't great considering Atalanta are at 0.

We just need a win from one of our last 2 games. Honestly though we aren't going to win it so its sort of by the by. Dropping into the EL and limping out of that would be worse but I think we will come out of the CL group and get beaten in one of our next 2 games.

We just need a win from one of our last 2 games. Honestly though we aren't going to win it so its sort of by the by. Dropping into the EL and limping out of that would be worse but I think we will come out of the CL group and get beaten in one of our next 2 games.

I would actually say dropping out and going to Europa would be beneficial to Ole as he is always going to play the same players if we carry on in the champs league. At least Europa it might cause a bit of competition. The crowd went absolutely wild when VDB came on last game. He is almost a cult now at United!

For some strange reason I thought there was only one game left, ha! Either way I couldn't agree more, we'll be dumped out of the last 16 because there's a chasm between us and top tier European teams.

That depends on what for honestly. I don't think anyone could argue that Woodward hasn't done a fantastic job on the commercial side of things. He just shouldn't have been anywhere near the football facing side.

If he is consulting on purely commercial issues thats probably good for the club. You can't deny that anyone who can deliver our absolute mess on the pitch for 8 years and still turn out huge profits and commercial deals is a bit of a genius.

I feel a little sorry for Woodward. I think the majority of hate is directed at him because he is the face of the owners. He has made Man Utd financially unrivalled in the UK and one of the biggest in the world. We have always spent money in the transfer windows but have spent poorly in a lot of it. You could partially lay the blame on Gill and SAF as they didn't really put anything in place for succession when they left. I am sure Gill for example could have stayed on another year to ease transition.

The crux of it is you need to find that golden manager. We got our Fergie. Liverpool were in the wilderness until they found Klopp. City would still be a Yo-yo club without Guardiola.

Yes Benitez, LVG, Houillier etc were decent managers but Fergie, Guardiola and Klopp are just a level above.

I feel a little sorry for Woodward. I think the majority of hate is directed at him because he is the face of the owners. He has made Man Utd financially unrivalled in the UK and one of the biggest in the world. We have always spent money in the transfer windows but have spent poorly in a lot of it. You could partially lay the blame on Gill and SAF as they didn't really put anything in place for succession when they left. I am sure Gill for example could have stayed on another year to ease transition.

I think you are being a bit too kind to him. By all accounts Woodward has been driving a lot of our transfers for the past X years and has been the guy negotiating them. Hes done a largely awful job with that. Overpaying, getting the wrong players, dithering, having no strategy and handing out new contracts to people that shouldn't get one (Ole included). Hes allowed the club to fall into a directionless mire.

The crux of it is you need to find that golden manager. We got our Fergie. Liverpool were in the wilderness until they found Klopp. City would still be a Yo-yo club without Guardiola.

Yes Benitez, LVG, Houillier etc were decent managers but Fergie, Guardiola and Klopp are just a level above.

There is no reason why we shouldn't have a far better manager. Over the past 8 years a lot of good managers have come and gone to different clubs and we have ignored them because we wanted the wrong thing. The Ole experiment has been the most ridiculous of all. Maybe if we take a crap manager and give him time and money he will magically become a really good manager. Who could have foreseen that not working?

There are very few clubs in the world where the manager has as many resources as United and yet here we are.

https://twitter.com/UtdFaithfuls/status/1457431798443618313

Heres a nice video of Ralf Rangnick speaking about what it is to be a manager and why Ole is so god damn awful at it.

You tried to get Klopp tho and he turned you down?

You tried to get Klopp tho and he turned you down?

We tried to get him a few years before Liverpool but he wasn't willing to leave Dortmund mid-contract at the time apparently. Unsurprisingly we have 0 organisation so probably just said "oh well, we asked him and he said no" and then moved on and never bothered again. Its fun watching good manager after good manager go to other teams and then having people explain that all the good managers are in jobs while we fall from one mess to another.

If they hadn't tried to sell it as 'being given the keys to Disneyland' and instead of appealed to elements that Klopp finds irresistible things might have turned out differently.

We tried to get him a few years before Liverpool but he wasn't willing to leave Dortmund mid-contract at the time apparently. Unsurprisingly we have 0 organisation so probably just said "oh well, we asked him and he said no" and then moved on and never bothered again. Its fun watching good manager after good manager go to other teams and then having people explain that all the good managers are in jobs while we fall from one mess to another.

This is why there should have been organisation when Fergie retired or at least on Fergie's behalf he should have stayed untill the manager they wanted was free on contract. I guess Gill leaving as well left a massive hole that was just impossible to fill.

I think you are being a bit too kind to him. By all accounts Woodward has been driving a lot of our transfers for the past X years and has been the guy negotiating them. Hes done a largely awful job with that. Overpaying, getting the wrong players, dithering, having no strategy and handing out new contracts to people that shouldn't get one (Ole included). Hes allowed the club to fall into a directionless mire.

He shouldn't have been doing that side of things in the first place. Like I said the structure here was very unique for the time with basically Gill and Fergie running everything. Everyone else has a more structured approach with more people managing different things which is great when managers come and go but at United we never had that revolving door so it was a massive culture shock when Fergie & Gill left.

My hope is that they realise Ole has done all he can and they have already started the process of getting someone long term in for next season.

Klopp has never moved mid contract. But this isn't quite true about him being mid-contract. Klopp's first contract at Dortmund expired in 2013, at the same time as Ferguson retired. He just didn't want to leave Dortmund to go to Man U and signed a 3 year extension there.

When that contract expired, Man U we're 1 year into LvG so that was never gonna happen no matter how you dress it up as a near miss.

Klopp has never moved mid contract. But this isn't quite true about him being mid-contract. Klopp's first contract at Dortmund expired in 2013, at the same time as Ferguson retired. He just didn't want to leave Dortmund to go to Man U and signed a 3 year extension there.

When that contract expired, Man U we're 1 year into LvG so that was never gonna happen no matter how you dress it up as a near miss.

Thats where a club that really wants a particular manager would either wait and have someone else act as interim or short term or they would sack their current manager to get a far better one.

This is part of Uniteds issue. We never plan more than a week ahead. There was never any real talk of who was going to take over from Ole at the end of the season when he became interim and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they hadn't even bothered talking to anyone else. As soon as results were good under Ole they will have started to plan for him to keep going and screw any other plan.

When Ole is fired we will probably do the same. Poor appointment who will then get the job long term if they turn results around and get top 4.

When Ole is fired we will probably do the same. Poor appointment who will then get the job long term if they turn results around and get top 4.

It's the same boat that everyone is in really though. Sure, a DoF can help but I'm not sure the DoF structure suits the Glazers. Their plan seems to be to buy players and hire coaches that sell the Man U myth rather than the Man U reality and so long as people buy that, that's fine by them. Solskjaer fits that. Eventually the pressure will come to bear though if the team isn't competitive in showpiece games, but other than that, he's a perfect fit.

There's an awful long way back as the root of the rot isn't the manager. The owners have a lot to do with it, but it's not just them either.

Eventually the Glazers will realise this is no way to run a modern football club. It's unsustainable.

That being said, I feel it's important people don't lose sight of the fact Ole is a just a very poor manager, unable to take us any further.

The squad isn't perfect, or particularly well balanced, but there's no shortage of quality in there. The on-field performances are just disgraceful, and that boils down to Ole and his staff.

Eventually the Glazers will realise this is no way to run a modern football club. It's unsustainable.

That being said, I feel it's important people don't lose sight of the fact Ole is a just a very poor manager, unable to take us any further.

The squad isn't perfect, or particularly well balanced, but there's no shortage of quality in there. The on-field performances are just disgraceful, and that boils down to Ole and his staff.

I honestly think that if you got the right manager in we could be competing with probably 3 signings.

A good manager would use VdB and Sancho. We need another CM, (2 if Pogba goes) and a new RB in all likelihood. The rest of the team is fine and I think a good manager would transform some of our players. The BS about players not being able to press is just that. Its really not a hard part of the game to get someone to do. Its potentially hard to get a team to do it well but on an individual level players just need to know when to press and how to press and that comes from the manager.

I don't even care if it takes 2-3 years to compete for titles or do well in the CL. I just want to watch a United team that has an identity for the first time in a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom