Ole's sacked, who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
been a big ole fan, but have seen enough now. nothing will change. i kind of wish we lost at spurs and Conte was now in charge of UTD.

You think that losing to Spurs would have got Ole fired :p

I've just given up honestly. His managerial performance should have seen him sacked a long time ago and the utter **** show he has delivered this season would have got any other manager sacked by now.

Its pretty clear we have 0 plan and are probably scrabbling around in the dirt right now trying to figure out who on earth we could get in to replace him. I'm still not 100% sure that they want to sack him still.

Since day 1 we had some desperate hope that Ole would become a top manager based on nothing but hopes and prayers. A manager has never gone from the level Ole is on to even close to elite level on the job at a top team.

Any half decent manager who is given time shows some vague progress in the application of a style and system to their play. If you think you have a potential long term manager that just needs time then you give him that time and ignore results because you can see the kernel of something special growing. Ole has never shown even a grain of ability when it comes to coaching or managing the side. The only area he even approaches the required level is man management and keeping the team happy.

He doesn't know how to actually motivate or manager a group of players to get the best out of them and he sure as hell doesn't know how to set a team up or coach them to play in a modern style of football.

Oh well, I'm sure at some point he will get the sack and we will make another knee jerk, **** appointment and people will wonder why we are still in no mans land 2 years from now. Because how could anyone see just how ******* awful Ole was as a manager when he was demonstrating it to us week in week out for the past 3 years.

Literally at this point id rather Phil Jones played as cdm with pogba beside him rather than have McFred in midfield together. He's played there before and could seriously be no worse than McFred as they are utterly dire and not upto the job at all.

I don't think there's anything more I can say about Ole at this point, it's hopeless. I am just praying he's sacked ASAP. You can discuss players all you like, but the buck stops with the manager. He is not a good manager, he will never reach anything like the required level. That has been obvious since the start really.

After the Liverpool game it seemed his job was under serious threat - yet things have not improved since then. Spurs had downed tools and didn't even make an effort. We needed a last ditch goal to salvage a draw against Atalanta, and then we were made to look like a semi-pro side by City yesterday.

There were reports the players are giving up on him, and that will only be worse now. The fact he's abandoned anything he was trying to build towards to play an ultra-defensive parked bus, to save his own skin, is reprehensible.

There have been no briefings to the respected journalists at this stage, which I hope is an ominous sign for Ole - but the board are hopeless too. The verdict against him is unanimous, ex-players, pundits, journalists, fans - everyone wants him out. Given his stature at the club, that is just damning beyond words.

As for the plan going forward and people asking who can replace him: at this point that doesn't matter. A shake up can help fix many things, there are plenty of potential caretakers around. Blanc, Rangnick, etc.

I would be delighted with Rangnick, assuming he's prepared to be Sporting Director afterwards, that would just be ideal. He could then help appoint a new manager in the summer. Far too good of a plan to ever come true though, I fear...

What a mess.

There have been no briefings to the respected journalists at this stage, which I hope is an ominous sign for Ole - but the board are hopeless too. The verdict against him is unanimous, ex-players, pundits, journalists, fans - everyone wants him out. Given his stature at the club, that is just damning beyond words.

Gary Neville doesn't :p

Its honestly embarrassing watching Neville defend his mate. Hasn't said a single thing actually in defence of Ole, its all "United have tried better managers" or "They need to stick with him long term" and all the other ******** which doesn't address the core issue that he isn't good enough.

Honestly, Neville should just shut up until this is all sorted out before he loses all credibility as a pundit.

Its honestly embarrassing watching Neville defend his mate. Hasn't said a single thing actually in defence of Ole, its all "United have tried better managers" or "They need to stick with him long term" and all the other ******** which doesn't address the core issue that he isn't good enough.

Honestly, Neville should just shut up until this is all sorted out before he loses all credibility as a pundit.

I was thinking the same but really, when you look at what he's saying, he's basically given up hope too. I agree though, it's cringeworthy listening to him. Especially as he's happy to sack Salford managers regularly - should they not be given time too? :confused: Hypocrite.

I think Neville is in a difficult position and I admire his loyalty to Ole. It's friendship so I don't blame him for refusing to adopt the popular position which is easy for us supporters to take. He's made some good points about the way the club is and the failures of the past few years. It's a difficult job to compete at the top level regardless of the money thrown at players. Ole has had a fair crack and come up short. The last thing he needs is his mates going in on him too.

Anyway the latest rumor seems to be that Rodgers is beginning lined up? Not sure that he'd go after being at Liverpool but maybe money talks. At least he's won something.

Last edited:
I think Neville is in a difficult position and I admire his loyalty to Ole. It's friendship so I don't blame him for refusing to adopt the popular position which is easy for us supporters to take.

Its not an easy position to take, its just the obvious one. We aren't talking about a manager given 6 months and no money and expected to take a mid table side with limited resources into challenging for top 4. Hes a pundit. Hes paid a ridiculous amount of money to give his view on football matters. Hes just embarrassing himself with the straws he is clutching at.

I have been Ole out for about 2.5 years but plenty of people have given him the benefit of the doubt time after time and have finally had enough. God knows how they were so blinkered to Oles limitations. Its not easy for a lot of people. United fans have been fantastically blinkered for a long time so its not "popularism" to suggest Ole is a mess of a manager.

He's made some good points about the way the club is and the filters of the past few years. It's a difficult job to compete at the top level regardless of the money thrown at players. Ole has had a fair crack and come up short. The last thing he needs is his mates going in on him too.

Everyone knows the club is run really poorly from the top but that doesn't excuse Ole in the slightest. If all our players were getting injured and were overweight who would you blame. The nutritionists and fitness coaches or Woodward and the guys at the top?

Its not an easy position to take, its just the obvious one. We aren't talking about a manager given 6 months and no money and expected to take a mid table side with limited resources into challenging for top 4. Hes a pundit. Hes paid a ridiculous amount of money to give his view on football matters. Hes just embarrassing himself with the straws he is clutching at.

I have been Ole out for about 2.5 years but plenty of people have given him the benefit of the doubt time after time and have finally had enough. God knows how they were so blinkered to Oles limitations. Its not easy for a lot of people. United fans have been fantastically blinkered for a long time so its not "popularism" to suggest Ole is a mess of a manager.

Everyone knows the club is run really poorly from the top but that doesn't excuse Ole in the slightest. If all our players were getting injured and were overweight who would you blame. The nutritionists and fitness coaches or Woodward and the guys at the top?
I think you are missing my point. I'm not defending OGS, far from it. I'm defending the position that Gary Neville is taking up with respect to the current situation. It's his prerogative to stop short of calling for him to be sacked and I can empathise with this. In this circumstance I have some admiration for his dacorum on the matter despite his obvious embarrassment watching this United team. He's been pretty scathing of the team, the club and the lack of progress but stopped short of pinning it all on Ole. I'm ok with that and I don't think its incumbent on him to call for him to be sacked. If you listen to all the pundits on Sky none of them went that far.

I think you are missing my point. I'm not defending OGS, far from it. I'm defending the position that Gary Neville is taking up with respect to the current situation. It's his prerogative to stop short of calling for him to be sacked and I can empathise with this. In this circumstance I have some admiration for his dacorum on the matter despite his obvious embarrassment watching this United team. He's been pretty scathing of the team, the club and the lack of progress but stopped short of pinning it all on Ole. I'm ok with that and I don't think its incumbent on him to call for him to be sacked. If you listen to all the pundits on Sky none of them went that far.

All of the other pundits have pretty much said “the tactics and coaching are ****”. I have 0 respect for Neville trying to make out that the players are crap and it’s all their fault and if it’s not the players in the high ups. Completely ignores Oles massive role in this. No one else is doing that.

None of they are saying “ole should be sacked” directly but they are coming as close as you can without saying those words. Neville is just being stubborn and refusing to say anything negative about his mate.

Simon Stone thinks he's still being backed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59197795

Yet, despite the comprehensive defeats against their biggest rivals, and a run of form that has seen them collect just four points from their last six Premier League games, there is still no indication from Old Trafford that a change is going to take place.

It would be brave to state definitively that Solskjaer was safe given international breaks are notoriously a time when clubs get rid of managers - Aston Villa, Norwich and Middlesbrough have already done so since their weekend games finished.

But, to the incredulity and bewilderment of many observers, he could well survive.

How utterly depressing. If the board are this hopeless, Man Utd are finished as an elite club.

So this morning we have mixed reports, nobody is saying anything definitively. Indications are the board want to support him but are struggling, although the decision ultimately rests with Joel Glazer (oh, joy).

There are leaks from the dressing room - which name both Bruno and CR7 as being unhappy with the manager.

Our next run of games:

Watford (Away) - winnable but far from simple
Villareal (Away) - probably a loss
Chelsea (Away) - heh

Then it's Arsenal (H) and Palace (H). I mean, the freefall is likely to just continue, then we'll be far away from top 4 and quite possibly out of the CL.

What a complete mess.

I agree, it is a mess. What we really need is to be clear that we need someone short term to get things back on track and plan for the future on the side. However i feel we'll get an "interim" manager in and then give them a 5yr contract after 3 months because they've managed to win a few games :p

Unless United lose 10 in a row I don't think ole is going anywhere until the end of the season.

I just don't think you'll get a decent manager wanting to come in to an absolute mess when the likely candidate will already be managing a club who's doing well in the champs league.

Take Ten Hag for example, top of their champs league grp top of the league, his team's flying at the moment and I can't see him wanting to nosedive into the cluster **** that United is, unless he was to start with a fresh pre season.

The only risk will be should the board run with Ole, they could potentially be out of the champs league and not finish top 4, would be a disaster.

Didn't United already do this once? Or was that the year they got to the EL? The rebuild would be even worse then.

You don't need a long term replacement in order to sack an existing manager. There are many different approaches available. Ole himself is proof of this. We sacked one of the greatest managers in modern history and appointed the Molde manager. Look how his first few months went.

No matter how disorganised the club is, it's not inconceivable that we lose the next few games - he will go. It would just make a lot more sense to do it now...

Unless United lose 10 in a row I don't think ole is going anywhere until the end of the season.

I just don't think you'll get a decent manager wanting to come in to an absolute mess when the likely candidate will already be managing a club who's doing well in the champs league.

Clubs don't necessarily sack managers with a new manager ready to go. Chelsea have a history of sacking a manager when they are having such a bad time that you could replace them with a spoon and it would be an improvement. Thats where we are now.

Christ, Ole got the job on the back of being a "til the end of the season" stand in. At this point, pretty much any remotely capable manager would do better than Ole until the end of the season. We saw what happened when Ole got the job. We suddenly had a massive improvement that was nothing to do with Ole really. The more he has got his teeth into the job, the worse the teams performances have become.

Right now I just want Ole gone. Hes a complete fraud at the top level and its pretty obvious he has lost the players and has not a scooby how to fix any of our issues. We have 2 options. Fire him now and hope that a temporary manager won't somehow be less useful than the chocolate teapot Ole currently is. The second option is to stick with him and hope that somehow a manager who has looked clueless for years when it comes to tactics, strategy and coaching suddenly pulls us out of this slump and we don't find that he has cost us CL football next season.

I think option 1 is a far far far more sensible option.

That's all good and well getting a stand in, and what if the same happens again with another stand in, and they get given the job after a temp position. Chocolate fireguard Ole mk2.

That's all good and well getting a stand in, and what if the same happens again with another stand in, and they get given the job after a temp position. Chocolate fireguard Ole mk2.

You don't give them the job... getting a new manager bounce for a few months after having a horrendously toxic manager shouldn't get you one of the biggest jobs in football.

Any club not run by clowns has a plan and they stick to it. If they want manager X they will go all out to get them and they won't deviate from the plan.

Its even easier now that Ole has shown what giving an interim manager the long term job can do.

There needs to be a decent manager to steady the ship till next summer and get Ten Hag in. Is Gus Hiddink available as he is normally the one that does those kind of jobs :p?

Hopefully we can still salvage top 4. If it looks like Ole is capable of that by the time Christmas comes around then he can stick it out till the end of the season.

There needs to be a decent manager to steady the ship till next summer and get Ten Hag in. Is Gus Hiddink available as he is normally the one that does those kind of jobs :p?

Hopefully we can still salvage top 4. If it looks like Ole is capable of that by the time Christmas comes around then he can stick it out till the end of the season.

If Ole is still here at Christmas and has a chance of top 4 then he will still be here at the end of the season. If he gets top 4, he will still be here come next September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom