DDR5 is here, first kits on sale in July

Associate
Would be nice if buying a DDR5 motherboard from a vendor would at least allow you to buy some DDR5 RAM from the same vendor. Seems none of them are willing to allow you to preorder ram with your mobo though

It would make sense if selling DDR 5 mother boards to include DDR5 memory. say 16GB what ever speed was available at the time of purchase a sort of combo package.

Associate
It looks like Kingston Fury Beast KF552C40BBK2-32 32GB (16GB x2) DDR5 5200Mhz is in stock in few places with 2 week delivery time. Annoying that those are 16 GB sticks as I would need 64 GB, so 32 GB sticks would have been better.

Is it worth getting this one in combination with the i9-12900K?

Associate
So in a warehouse somewhere in the far east. Would be annoying to take a punt and find actual UK stock appears* before it arrives.

*wishful thinking, I know

Well, I'm considering taking the opposite approach to most people who buy the CPU, motherboard and then whine about not being able to get the DDR5. I'm thinking of ordering the DDR5 and only ordering the rest if and when I get the RAM. That way I don't have to bother with returns. Hopefully CPUs and motherboards remain in stock.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Which G.Skill ram did you go for in the end, I'm trying to get my Brother-in-Law a set of Trident Z5 RGB 6000MHz CL36 in the black finish (wanting the 32GB kit), but can't seem to find one anywhere :confused:

I've ordered 6000C40 (6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK) kit but as they run Samsung B-Die (DDR5 B-Die) they should OC quiet well. Hopefully they should arrive early next week but will depend on UPS.

Associate
Yeah, but it's not the worst of it. While GPUs are currently holding at "only" 200% MSRP, motherboard prices have tripled compared to what they were 2 years ago.

It is always the same with motherboards when first released. 12 month later they ae discounting them like mad because Intel's next chipset and socket are on the horizon.

Associate
It is always the same with motherboards when first released. 12 month later they ae discounting them like mad because Intel's next chipset and socket are on the horizon.

Not even close. I paid £350 for Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme Intel Z390 when it came out. It was one of the most expensive motherboards available at the time. Now literally the same motherboard, just current generation - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme is £950.

If 2 years ago someone told me that motherboards will cost a grand I would have called them retarded.

Soldato
Not even close. I paid £350 for Asus ROG Maximus XI Extreme Intel Z390 when it came out. It was one of the most expensive motherboards available at the time. Now literally the same motherboard, just current generation - Asus ROG Maximus Z690 Extreme is £950.

If 2 years ago someone told me that motherboards will cost a grand I would have called them retarded.
£950 ??!?!?

Wow, I thought I was being retarded paying £270 for my MSI MEG Unify X570. Glad I updated when I did

Why are motherboard prices suddenly going through the roof?

Associate
Stuff like that Asus is just overkill. People who have limitless supplies of money who literally don't want to think about anything.

Although still not exactly cheap something like a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro can be had for £295. Considering that has good DDR5 support and apparently pcie 5.0 not too bad.

Soldato
Stuff like that Asus is just overkill. People who have limitless supplies of money who literally don't want to think about anything.

Although still not exactly cheap something like a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro can be had for £295. Considering that has good DDR5 support and apparently pcie 5.0 not too bad.

Speaking of not wanting to think about anything, vlatch is still an exclusive feature, as well as Q-Latch and DIMM.2.

On top of that, AI Tweaker will get most samples to their maximum potential. In fact, AI Tweaker is so good this gen, there's little to no point in tuning manually. At least not without the use of AI prediction.

Of course, people will always want more for less, that's just the nature of the consumer. Not everyone cries about it, though!

Associate

Aorus Pro only has 1 USB Type-C rear port which is not good enough in 2021. If you want 2, you have to go for Aorus Master which is like 50% more expensive.

Associate
But for some 1 type C is enough.

I have 1 type C on the rear of my Z370 and it sits plugged into a wireless charger for my phone, then I may plug my phone into it when I want to tranfer a picture or something.

So from my perspective 1 is enough.

It's shocking though that the take up is slow, but then even though USB 3 is backward compatible we still have lots of USB 2 ports, so you'd think that they would be all 3 by now.

It likely comes down to expense though as USB 2 is perfectly fine for a lot of accessories (mouse/kb/usb headset) and USB type C is much more involved than a 4 pin USB 3

Back
Top Bottom