Connect radiator direct to chassis Mod

Soldato
One way or another it's doable
The main thing is you already have
The how can I make it work attitude
And not the it won't work attitude
Definitely a plus point with custom watercooling
And yeah sometimes got to break it to make it :)

Associate
OP
Cheers. Tried to find that but not sure I found what you’re talking about, do you have a product ref?

I think brackets and Velcro combo will work, just need to locate the right dimensioned bracket. Need one with a short base and long vertical. That way the Velcro option can work with that, I think.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Soldato
Ok so have fitted two brackets. I had to take drill to chassis so now I’ve properly had a go at it and it definitely feels like mine now…!

:D

Looks great fella. Love the colour scheme and the holes are barely noticeable.

Not a fan of sticky tape though. Might want to considering something a bit more rigid further down the line.

Could be something as simple as second bracket screwed into the first, slotting between the fans and rad, or on the back.

Really pleased for you; great feeling when you've made a case do what you want.

Associate
OP
Cheers guys, finally coming together without any more hiccups hopefully. Took ages to get to this point.

:D

Not a fan of sticky tape though. Might want to considering something a bit more rigid further down the line.

Yeah I agree, it's been niggling me. I did test fits of the sticking tape, it's pretty secure, but not as good as a positive "mechical" connection in terms of ultimate peace of mind. Was actually thinking exactly along the lines of what you said - get something in between the fan and rad somehow.

Soldato
Was actually thinking exactly along the lines of what you said - get something in between the fan and rad somehow.

My main worry is that adhesives tend to weaken when temperature cycled. In my experience at least.

I'll do my best to give some input, but it's hard for me to contribute without being in front of it, or at least some more pictures.

I had in mind something like the following:

Parts
  • Plate aluminium, it's easy to work with hand tools, and bend without heat. Will take a key and paint too. Thicker is sturdier, but harder to work.
  • Radiator Gasket, this will take up the 1 to 2mm apx space between rad and fan created by the brackets, it will also help to decouple from the case. Might need a trim.
  • Paint & primer, to match that lovely colour scheme.
  • Optional; Neoprene sheet, 1mm. Or more. Just would help decouple the bracket from the case, mounted to the bottom of the bracket. It's often adhesive backed.

Concept
An s-shaped bracket mounted to the base of the case, other end fitting between the top fans and rad, suspending the assembly off the case floor. Neoprene rubber can decouple the feet from the base, a gasket and spacers can ensure an even seal between fans and rad.

Make up a couple of brackets, one for each end of the rad where you've drilled some holes. Two 90 degree bends to make an S shape, the rad mount trimmed so it doesn't block any airflow.

Process

1. You could start with a really basic rectangle shape, then make the first bed about 10mm up for connection to the base. Then go through the bottom to mark the mounting holes.

2. From there measure up the bracket the height of the rad and bottom fans, plus the additional clearance required. If adding the gasket and neoprene to the base of the bracket, you need to account for these thicknesses too.

3. Make the second bend at this point, for the part that fits between the rad and too fan.

4. You'd need some trimming with a Dremel / shears / files to match the profile of the radiator mounts, and not impede airflow by blocking rad space.

5. Either get some spacers the same thickness or the plate, or make up your own from the scrap. Fit the gasket to the rad and note any parts that might need trimming out.

6. Once it's tickety boo you can take it apart and paint it (key your surfaces, and clean them) and you've got a solid, unobtrusive mount.

Finishing Thoughts

There's a million ways you could go about this, for instance single, small brackets for each corner, and the middle. Side brackets that run the full length.

You could even just get some m4 stand-offs and just bought to the base of the case!

You're spoilt for choice, and every one leads to another opportunity to have a good go at that case of yours :D

Or course this all makes complete sense in my head, but you may think I've lost the plot.

Whatever you do, my suggestion is do it for the fun of it. Personally I used to always worry about getting things wrong, or 'ruining" a case that's just for me, and is easily replaceable.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Awesome mate! Thank you! That’s brilliant. Need to get thinking on this.

In the meantime, all the main components are now fitted. Not sure about that strimer gpu cable though.

https://flic.kr/p/2mR8h9E

ps: how can I get an image embedded here?
2mR8h9E

Soldato
Images are a pita here lol
Usually where they are hosted has an option
Of a BB link or forum link to make them
Display in here
Sounds like wantoN is talking about larger versions
Of the S or Z brackets I mentioned on page 1?
Since you already did L you could make another L
Attach it to the first L with a small nut and bolt
Through the existing slot
To make a height adjustable S or Z bracket?

PS not sure about the strimer either
Though may look ok once illuminated
Not sure if those 90 degree or 180 degree GPU
Power connector things may be of any use
In that pc case

Back
Top Bottom