• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE Thermal Pad change: Mem Temps still 100c!! Help!

Soldato
What method did you use for the paste cross and 4 dots ? Wondering if I should try again

spread I did use syy 157 which is thicker and was difficult to spread most recommend spreading on GPU as the die directly contacts the heatsink spreading will make sure every part of the die is covered

Associate
Thanks, I did spread both times but used less the second time. Think I will leave it for now as I could end up with worse temps and risk breaking it

Associate
After changing out the pads in June...
  • VRAM temps are in the 80C's.
  • The delta between the GPU temp. and hotspot temp. holds at 10C's.
  • I used Gelid Extreme 2 mm and 3 mm pads.

Associate
After changing out the pads in June...
  • VRAM temps are in the 80C's.
  • The delta between the GPU temp. and hotspot temp. holds at 10C's.
  • I used Gelid Extreme 2 mm and 3 mm pads.

Useful to know - but it is appearing that the Nov 2021 drop onwards are requiring different pads and seem to be reacting better to a 1.5mm pad on the die side.

Associate
I just did my sons card which is the newer Nov+ 3080FE but used 2mm extreme due to not knowing about that change (nice one uscool for the info) and temps were all over the place. I swapped them out die side pads for 1.5mm ultimate as suggested and the temps are more stable now ie GPU does not going mental with 100% fan, benches 3d mark slightly higher than stock pads too. Only issue is that the GPU junction temps are still rocketing up past 100c. My own 3080FE card hardly goes over 94c in the same test (early 2021 2mm modded). I used mx-4 for die and the temps on that are fine with the gpu and GPU hotspot within 10c of eachother.

Any suggestions on what I might have missed?

Soldato
I just did my sons card which is the newer Nov+ 3080FE but used 2mm extreme due to not knowing about that change (nice one uscool for the info) and temps were all over the place. I swapped them out die side pads for 1.5mm ultimate as suggested and the temps are more stable now ie GPU does not going mental with 100% fan, benches 3d mark slightly higher than stock pads too. Only issue is that the GPU junction temps are still rocketing up past 100c. My own 3080FE card hardly goes over 94c in the same test (early 2021 2mm modded). I used mx-4 for die and the temps on that are fine with the gpu and GPU hotspot within 10c of eachother.

Any suggestions on what I might have missed?

GPU junction which is vram right ? would mean the vram isnt making proper contact with the pads or one of the pads may have moved while putting it back together , high gpu/hotspot means the pads are too thick so the gpu die isnt making proper contact with the heatsink, so you saying vram is high temps while gpu/hotspot is normal makes me think the pads are not making proper contact with the heatsink

when you installed the 1.5mm gelid ulitmate pads did you compress them at all ? you have to make sure you dont compress them much at all let the heatsink do that you dont need to apply much pressure to get them to stick and not fall off

I would do it again with new pack of 1.5mm gelid ulitmate on both vram and vrm and making sure not to compress with much pressure when getting them to stick also not to compress them while cutting

Associate
GPU junction which is vram right ? would mean the vram isnt making proper contact with the pads or one of the pads may have moved while putting it back together , high gpu/hotspot means the pads are too thick so the gpu die isnt making proper contact with the heatsink, so you saying vram is high temps while gpu/hotspot is normal makes me think the pads are not making proper contact with the heatsink

when you installed the 1.5mm gelid ulitmate pads did you compress them at all ? you have to make sure you dont compress them much at all let the heatsink do that you dont need to apply much pressure to get them to stick and not fall off

I would do it again with new pack of 1.5mm gelid ulitmate on both vram and vrm and making sure not to compress with much pressure when getting them to stick also not to compress them while cutting

Yes it looks like its a memory contact issue then... while under load I have 62.3C GPU, 104c GPU Memory junction temp and 74.1 GPU hot spot - so slightly better than stock with similar work load.

When fitting I only slightly tapped a couple of time so they stayed in place, not compressed at all really. Ill crack it open again later and see if the pads looks like they are making contact.

Soldato
Yes it looks like its a memory contact issue then... while under load I have 62.3C GPU, 104c GPU Memory junction temp and 74.1 GPU hot spot - so slightly better than stock with similar work load.

When fitting I only slightly tapped a couple of time so they stayed in place, not compressed at all really. Ill crack it open again later and see if the pads looks like they are making contact.

good luck hopefully that is the cause , I wasted 2 packs of 2mm gelid extreme re doing it second time just to confirm it :( , was relieved when the 1.5mm ultimate gelid worked

Last edited:
Associate
good luck hopefully that is the cause , I wasted 2 packs of 2mm gelid extreme re doing it second time just to confirm it :( , was relieved when the 1.5mm ultimate gelid worked

Seems good now - 60 GPU, 94c junction and 73 hot spot, with more aggressive timings than those used before too.

Too it apart and I think it was one of two things (or both):
  1. Instead of X and 4 dots and leaving the compound on the die I spread it. I then added a little more to get a go coverage and tbh I think it might have been a little thick. Gone back to x and 4 dots without any spreading
  2. For the pads, the positions were OK but some looked like they were not making full contact, after a few hours of heavy loads and 100c+ you could still see the slight impression from the diamond pattern you get off the gelid protective film.
Cleaned die and reapplied. Re adjusted pads to confirm placement and one which was slightly stretched (mm or two) I pushed back and recut a single small module pad.

phew, didnt fancy buying even more pads

For those thinking of doing this, my cooler was dated 9/6/2021 which I will assume is 6th September and the December UK drop. 1 pack of 1.5mm ultimates looks to work a treat, I didnt bother with back plate.

Associate
I've had the same issue with a 3080Ti FE.
I originaly had a 3080 FE back in Feb, did the pad mod with the usual 3mm/2mm Gelid Extremes, and it worked flawlessly. Fast forward to October, and had an opportunity to get the Ti, and happily obliged. Instantly ordered the same thermal pads as before, and it was terrible. I was taking it apart, and re-assembling a FE in like 15 minutes I'd opened it back up so many times. Absolutely nothing I did could fix temps...
Either Nvidia or whoever manufactures the cooler must've made changes because visually the Ti looks identical other than a larger contact patch to account for the extra memory module, but clearly something changed. I ordered 1.5mm without knowing at the time if it would rectify the problem, and it did thank god.

Soldato
Worked perfectly, at the end of it, CEX happily gave me the money.

Yeah, well stopped mining occasionally to game.

I wasn't asking cos I'm mardy/salty/pissy about miners blah blah, whatever. I don't give a monkeys what people do with their stuff.

I was more interested in how robust the memory chips are from running at high temps over extended periods. Are we all paranoid about TJunction temps for no reason? Dunno. Because, yeah I've fallen into the camp of repadding my 3090fe chips, but did I really need to? I suppose only time will tell what reports happen (or not) in the future regarding memory failures. And it'll be Nvidia footing the warranty claims.

Soldato
Pretty disappointing I think. The cooler is great. The 3080 is a gem of a card. But the pads are crap. Cheaping out on something so simple.

Forced me to watercool though and now really chuffed. Low 50 on GPU high 50 on vram and near silent. So pleased.

Need to return my gelid extreme to Amazon actually. Get my £26 back. Never used them as decided I wanted to cool and at least my original cooler and pads are unharmed in case I need to warranty.

Last edited:
Associate
Does the card throttle then when the ram hits 100c?
I have the same card, and gaming at least cannot notice any discernable change in fps playing games.

Back
Top Bottom