• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080 FE Thermal Pad change: Mem Temps still 100c!! Help!

Soldato
You have had your 3080 before September? is so that kind of rules out a recent cooler change. I have re-pad two 3080s, both run great. Anyone that wants their 3080 FE mem pads replaced, you know where I am.

Soldato
Hahaha, go look for links proof yourself. We are not your slaves :cry:
So I re did it all using 1.5mm gelid extreme on die side on VRAM and VRM and so far it looks promising just ran benchmark for around 10mins at stock and max temp gpu got to was 75c and hotspot at 85c so 10c delta which seems excellent Vram got to 84c this is in room with temp of 25c will have to test more I also used the paste syy 157 which is meant to be better as its thicker and not prone to pump out effect it was difficult to spread but found technique:)

You have had your 3080 before September? is so that kind of rules out a recent cooler change. I have re-pad two 3080s, both run great. Anyone that wants their 3080 FE mem pads replaced, you know where I am.

Just re did it all with 1.5mm ultimate gelid and it seems back to normal, so pretty sure something has changed, My older one which I had way before september worked with 2mm extreme and I even re did it because I wanted to use thicker paste so I think I know what am doing , hopefully it will help others if have the same issue

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve had memory pads dry up after about 1 month of mining (they were stock thermal pads that come with Corsair water block for 3080). Replaced those with Gelid Extreme and they were rock solid constantly mining for about 8 months now keeping memory temp between 60-70c.
Definitely worth the price.
So I've put that block on. I'm very interested in knowing what size pads you've used incase I need to replace. I have the 2mm extreme to hand as I was going to use them with the old cooler originally before doing the watercooling.

Associate
So I've put that block on. I'm very interested in knowing what size pads you've used incase I need to replace. I have the 2mm extreme to hand as I was going to use them with the old cooler originally before doing the watercooling.
Tho ones I used were 1mm.

Soldato
this card where I had issues with using 2mm gelid extreme is now running really good with 1.5mm gelid ultimate and Sy 157 Thermal Paste at stock seeing higher boost frequency I didnt get before even on idle I remember it idling at 31c with the fans off now its 25c same case fan profile at 800rpm which the card is getting airflow from and room temp is the same at 25c will run some more benchmarks tomorrow but so far really pleased

Room temp for both was 25c and running card at stock

this is with stock pads/paste
I remember the vram was around 94c

PUtFzC8.jpg

This is with 1.5mm Gelid Ultimate pads with SY 157 thermal paste it mostly stayed around 71-72c with odd peaks to 73c. Vram stayed 82-84c
lower temps while the fans spin lower , will be fun playing with undervolting seeing how the results are looking at stock
Aq3yepv.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
@RavenXXX2 I got a 3080FE 2 weeks ago in the UK brand new from a copmpetitor of OCUK. Did you only do add gelid pads on the front side? i..e the side acecsible first without having to unscrew the X plate?
Where abouts are you based? If you in London I could order some pads and experiment. Also when you opened up your card, do you know what the MFR DATE was? My thermals at stock seem better than most other stock 3080FEs. Ive only seen it hit 100 degrees plus once in a whole week of mining. Warzone seems fine.

Associate
What are you guys using to monitor GPU temperature.

This is the first Nvidia card I've had for years.
I didn't install geforce experience.

Thanks.

Soldato
@RavenXXX2 I got a 3080FE 2 weeks ago in the UK brand new from a copmpetitor of OCUK. Did you only do add gelid pads on the front side? i..e the side acecsible first without having to unscrew the X plate?
Where abouts are you based? If you in London I could order some pads and experiment. Also when you opened up your card, do you know what the MFR DATE was? My thermals at stock seem better than most other stock 3080FEs. Ive only seen it hit 100 degrees plus once in a whole week of mining. Warzone seems fine.

I have replaced thermal pads on 2 3080fe's also you have to take off the X clamp to get access to the vram chips and VRM on gpu die side this is the side that makes the big difference , backplate hardly makes any difference might as well keep that as stock

First 3080fe I did like 9 -10 months I didn't note down the date on the heatsink and I used 2mm gelid extreme pads and worked great made like -20 difference in vram and no issues with gpu core or hotspot temps I even redid with using another paste called sy157 as it's thicker so it's better to avoid the pump out effect and the heatsink contacting the die isn't totally flat , I also did the backplate with 3mm extreme gelid i wouldn't recommend doing the backplate hardly makes any difference and wouldn't use extreme pads for the back as they end up going all mushy and if in future need to take out all be a lot of cleaning to do

So my friend got 3080fe on the last drop heatsink dated 2021 I don't know if it was just me I was testing with stock pads so can note down the temps , scores etc so can compare after when switched over but it did seem it was giving better temps then mine was when at stock state vram temp was having trouble going over 95c whilst I remember mine going higher but it could just be the weather is cooler now

So I did exactly the same installed 2mm gelid extreme pads , left the backplate at stock . Vram temps great but really high gpu and hotspot few seconds into benchmark right to 100c so meaning the heatsink wasn't contacting the gpu die properly like the pads are too thick? So when taking apart again I did notice the pads on vram didn't seem as compressed as I did on my own one I could see clearly the shape of the vram print on my own one but not on the recent one

I even re did it using another pack of 2mm gelid extreme no difference

I did see few recent comments of people having same issue when following the old guide that worked with 2mm extreme I just thought those lot were just doing it wrong till I tried myself

So some suggested trying 1.5mm pads , so I tried 1.5mm gelid ultimate pads and it's solved the issue as you can see I posted screen shot I also tested mining vram didn't go past 84c fans at 60% giving 101 hash rate

So something has changed either gelid have made the extreme pads less compressible ? Or heatsink contact depth has changed ? I know it wouldn't effect the stock pads Nvidia uses as they are really soft pretty much offer no resistance

Last edited:
Associate
I bought my 3080ti in the last drop.

Just ran port royal and timespy.

Junction temperature of the memory maxed at 90 degrees.
Core at 73.5 and hot spot at 82.1.

Memory speed was at 2375 for the entire run.

I guess I don't need to do anything and my card is running fine.

Associate
this card where I had issues with using 2mm gelid extreme is now running really good with 1.5mm gelid ultimate and Sy 157 Thermal Paste at stock seeing higher boost frequency I didnt get before even on idle I remember it idling at 31c with the fans off now its 25c same case fan profile at 800rpm which the card is getting airflow from and room temp is the same at 25c will run some more benchmarks tomorrow but so far really pleased

Room temp for both was 25c and running card at stock

this is with stock pads/paste
I remember the vram was around 94c

PUtFzC8.jpg

This is with 1.5mm Gelid Ultimate pads with SY 157 thermal paste it mostly stayed around 71-72c with odd peaks to 73c. Vram stayed 82-84c
lower temps while the fans spin lower , will be fun playing with undervolting seeing how the results are looking at stock
Aq3yepv.jpg

Good to see the 1.5mm Ultimate's are working well for you, as i mentioned above I've never tried the 2.0mm extreme pads and just went straight to the ultimate as they are the better pad of the 2 anyway and temps came crashing down and now no need to have the fans spinning so high constantly to keep it cool. Even at stock fan curve it will just sit at 60 core 94 memory while mining with fans at 39% so pretty much silent , Silence is golden:cry:

Soldato
Good to see the 1.5mm Ultimate's are working well for you, as i mentioned above I've never tried the 2.0mm extreme pads and just went straight to the ultimate as they are the better pad of the 2 anyway and temps came crashing down and now no need to have the fans spinning so high constantly to keep it cool. Even at stock fan curve it will just sit at 60 core 94 memory while mining with fans at 39% so pretty much silent , Silence is golden:cry:

yeah running amazingly this thing is flying now and love the 3080fe design :) who needs AIB at them silly prices :cry:, still dont know why 2mm extreme didnt work on this recent one but worked on card that I got around 9 months ago, either nvidia changed something or gelid changed the extreme pads to be not as soft ?

Associate
I have replaced thermal pads on 2 3080fe's also you have to take off the X clamp to get access to the vram chips and VRM on gpu die side this is the side that makes the big difference , backplate hardly makes any difference might as well keep that as stock

First 3080fe I did like 9 -10 months I didn't note down the date on the heatsink and I used 2mm gelid extreme pads and worked great made like -20 difference in vram and no issues with gpu core or hotspot temps I even redid with using another paste called sy157 as it's thicker so it's better to avoid the pump out effect and the heatsink contacting the die isn't totally flat , I also did the backplate with 3mm extreme gelid i wouldn't recommend doing the backplate hardly makes any difference and wouldn't use extreme pads for the back as they end up going all mushy and if in future need to take out all be a lot of cleaning to do

So my friend got 3080fe on the last drop heatsink dated 2021 I don't know if it was just me I was testing with stock pads so can note down the temps , scores etc so can compare after when switched over but it did seem it was giving better temps then mine was when at stock state vram temp was having trouble going over 95c whilst I remember mine going higher but it could just be the weather is cooler now

So I did exactly the same installed 2mm gelid extreme pads , left the backplate at stock . Vram temps great but really high gpu and hotspot few seconds into benchmark right to 100c so meaning the heatsink wasn't contacting the gpu die properly like the pads are too thick? So when taking apart again I did notice the pads on vram didn't seem as compressed as I did on my own one I could see clearly the shape of the vram print on my own one but not on the recent one

I even re did it using another pack of 2mm gelid extreme no difference

I did see few recent comments of people having same issue when following the old guide that worked with 2mm extreme I just thought those lot were just doing it wrong till I tried myself

So some suggested trying 1.5mm pads , so I tried 1.5mm gelid ultimate pads and it's solved the issue as you can see I posted screen shot I also tested mining vram didn't go past 84c fans at 60% giving 101 hash rate

So something has changed either gelid have made the extreme pads less compressible ? Or heatsink contact depth has changed ? I know it wouldn't effect the stock pads Nvidia uses as they are really soft pretty much offer no resistance
So just want you to spell out to me here bro.
I have a 3080FE in the Nov 2021 drop in UK.
What Gelid pads should i buy in your opinion?
Just by looking at stock temps i feel they are better than launch 3080FE thermals. I am mining right now on it and am seeing mem junction temp of 96.2 degrees and I am really pushing the OC to get 96MH/s. Would be lovely to reduce it by 10-20 degrees though
Am i to buy GELID Ultimate 1.5mm for the VRAM (back) side and just leave the front side with the stock pads as it is not really going to have a big impact.
I really appreciate your input. Such valuable info you have posted, as the lines have become blurred lately with the new 3080FEs.

Associate
Who says, some random on reddit? provide links proof. It's probably noobs messing up the install.

I've been reading those threads. None of them are messing up the installs. Some of them even made detailed step by step guides posting exactly what they did, taking pictures and still getting bad hotspot temps.
one person even took a caliper to it and determined on his card the 'correct' thickness is 1.75mm, which is a pad you can't buy unless you buy the 1.771mm Laird Tflex HD90000 pads, which cost a liver and your firstborn from digikey (NOT a competitor).

Soldato
Thought exactly that myself people must have been installing them wrong until I experienced it myself

I did 3080fe around 8-10 months ago using 2mm gelid extreme and didn't have any issues I even redid it few months later to use the thicker paste so pretty experienced now

Recent 3080fe from November drop did exactly the same using 2mm gelid extreme and got really high gpu and hotspot so heatsink not making proper contact with gpu points to the pads are too thick now, didn't install it any differently then the first time I did one

So either gelid changed something or Nvidia have also noticed the stock Nvidia pads are really soft much softer than gelid extreme pads so are more forgiving

Anyway very happy now it's running great with 1.5mm gelid ultimate but would love to know what's changed for the 2mm extreme not to work anymore

Soldato
So just want you to spell out to me here bro.
I have a 3080FE in the Nov 2021 drop in UK.
What Gelid pads should i buy in your opinion?
Just by looking at stock temps i feel they are better than launch 3080FE thermals. I am mining right now on it and am seeing mem junction temp of 96.2 degrees and I am really pushing the OC to get 96MH/s. Would be lovely to reduce it by 10-20 degrees though
Am i to buy GELID Ultimate 1.5mm for the VRAM (back) side and just leave the front side with the stock pads as it is not really going to have a big impact.
I really appreciate your input. Such valuable info you have posted, as the lines have become blurred lately with the new 3080FEs.

You only really need to do the side with the gpu for VRM and VRAM , replacing pads on backplate hardly makes any difference might as well keep the stock pads on

You could try 2mm gelid extreme if you get high GPU and hotspot change to 1.5mm gelid ultimate pretty sure you'll get the issue as the 3080fe I had issue with 2mm extreme pads was from the November drop, heatsink dated 06/18/2021

I tested few hours of mining on it , was 101mh fans at 60% and it never went above 82c on vram that's with 2 120mm fans underneath it at 1000rpm

Keep note everyone will get different results with different setups

Back
Top Bottom