• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Soldato
ADL is the best performing gaming CPU. It's been available for months.

Zen3 refresh is yet to be released or even benchmarked by third paries. It's release date of "Spring" could be months away, and could also be subject to delays.

Zen3 refresh is also on a outdated platform - no Gen5 PCIE, no DDR5. It's price will determine it's sucess, if £350 ish it will sell well, though I expect more like £600, given it's manufacturing complexity.

brings back memories someone saying Rocket Lake would be the gaming king going by leaks ;) zen3d is an convenient upgrade if already on AM4 and seems it might be beating ADL in gaming :eek:

Soldato
Could build a B660 + 12100f (comes with stock cooler) system quite cheaply. Couple hundred for board and CPU, maybe another £150 for a 16GB DDR5 kit.

I think the big problem Intel has, is no one knows if it will even be worth upgrading from Alder Lake to Raptor Lake.

Soldato
Could build a B660 + 12100f (comes with stock cooler) system quite cheaply. Couple hundred for board and CPU, maybe another £150 for a 16GB DDR5 kit.

I think the big problem Intel has, is no one knows if it will even be worth upgrading from Alder Lake to Raptor Lake.

I think Intels big problem is Intel.

Soldato
must take one to know one?

A profound post, yet pointless post. I think I know what is coming, I’ve seen this kind of radicalisation of spam before. To save space I’ll respond to all further drivel by editing post #871. Thanks for subscribing :)

Salutes.

Caporegime
Alder Lake is good, as it stands right now IMO the best two CPU's are the 12600K and 12700K, no not the 12900K, it is just yet another example of Intel cranking a CPU that architecturally is not good enough up to 11 to keep up with AMD.

Having said that i think the way Intel are trying to match AMD's ability to scale shows they are not the technology leaders, adding lots 6600K's in a shared L3 configuration around a few big ones is not the clever solution they claim it is, its because they cannot scale the CPU with proper cores, those cores individually use far too much power to do that, 3X as much power as Zen 3 cores, the architecture still doesn't allow them to scale above 8 or 10 and because its monolithic, still, there is a size limit.

On top of that its not even a solution, even this still has its limits, because its still monolithic, If AMD called Intel's scaling bluff Intel would be stuffed, i hope with Zen 4 AMD call in that bluff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Alder Lake is good, as it stands right now IMO the best two CPU's are the 12600K and 12700K, no not the 12900K, it is just yet another example of Intel cranking a CPU that architecturally is not good enough cranked up to 11 to keep up with AMD.

Having said that i think the way Intel are trying to match AMD's ability to scale shows they are not the technology leaders, adding lots 6600K's in a shared L3 configuration around a few big ones is not the clever solution they claim it is its because they cannot scale the CPU with proper cores, those cores individually use far too much power to do that, 3X as much power as Zen 3 cores, the architecture still doesn't allow them to scale above 8 or 10 and because its monolithic, still, there is a size limit.

On top of that its not even a solution, even this still has its limits, because its still monolithic, If AMD called Intel's scaling bluff Intel would be stuffed, hope with Zen 4 AMD call in that bluff.

A sensible, honest and accurate observation of Intel’s situation. Im struggling to orientation the feelz.

9/10 great post. Will look forward to further posts.

Associate
Outdated lol. Nothing uses PCIe Gen 5 and Alder Lake sees no tangible benefit with DDR5. New and shiny may be great, but it's pointless if it's not utilised. And right now it's not.
Not only that, but pcie 5.0 is only for gpu, and strongest gpu today barely utilizes 4.0 so it is useless.

Associate
even Lisa sue didn't seemed to hyped about a 5800x at a lower clock speed with extra cache.
seemed like she wanted to talk about/show off 7000 series.

why did the fit the extra cache onto a 8core with 1 ccd?
a yield to low thing to do 2 chiplets?

cant wait to test one.

but it wont get near a 12900k with tuned memory.
cache doesn't help core ipc, clock speed ect only memory starved games (latency ect)

Associate
This thread is hilarious. People are pointlessly arguing over nothing. You lot should be embarrassed, really embarrassed! The only thing I am interested in is the price of CPU's coming down so I can replace my 1700 with a 5800X3D or a 5900x. I couldn't care less if Intel or AM5 is going to be much faster in games as I have a 5600XT and it won't make a blind bit of difference to the experience.

Back
Top Bottom