• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD demonstrates Ryzen 9 5900X prototype with 3D V-Cache stack chiplet design

Associate
What about NVME, PCIE 5 NVME's due to launch in Q2
It does seem like Intel made a very strange choice in only connecting the CPUs PCIe 5.0 to the "GPU", but once PCIe 5.0 NVMe ships I guess people on LGA1700 platform could put their GPU into a chipset slot so they can use PCIe 5.0 speeds for their NVMe. A bit wasteful that they'd have to use a x16 slot for any x4 NVMe though.

Associate
What about NVME, PCIE 5 NVME's due to launch in Q2
Did you read what i post? Gen 5 are only for gpu, that's why it is useless and why i would avoid ADL platform, it is beta testing platform for RPL. RPL will support higher ddr5 speed, better thread director, less bugs, and storage gen5 support. It is like final version of ADL.

Associate
Did you read what i post? Gen 5 are only for gpu, that's why it is useless and why i would avoid ADL platform, it is beta testing platform for RPL. RPL will support higher ddr5 speed, better thread director, less bugs, and storage gen5 support. It is like final version of ADL.
I did read your post which is why i asked the question as i did not know ADL did not support gen 5 storage.

Soldato

Negative, there is Nvme to pcie5 adaptors coming that let you plug nvme gen5 ssd into a pcie5 slot

it will cut the bandwidth to the gpu down to pcie5 x8, and you need a board which has two pcie5 slots which entry level models don't

Nor ideal, but Intel owners will be able to use a gen5 ssd if they have two slots and get the adaptor, x8 over pcie5 for the gpu is still plenty and next gen GPUs won't need more

Associate
Negative, there is Nvme to pcie5 adaptors coming that let you plug nvme gen5 ssd into a pcie5 slot

it will cut the bandwidth to the gpu down to pcie5 x8, and you need a board which has two pcie5 slots which entry level models don't

Nor ideal, but Intel owners will be able to use a gen5 ssd if they have two slots and get the adaptor, x8 over pcie5 for the gpu is still plenty and next gen GPUs won't need more
Meh no thank you, i will leave this beta testing platform for others, thankfully there are always early adopters that polish product for us.

Soldato

So that’s like 32 gen3 lanes… so useful for 16 2tb gen3 drives in JBOD or 8 gen4 drives, assuming the PCI-E slot can supply enough power and you can find an adapter that works.

Soldato
When did gamer become so overused and senseless? I thought even though I was a gamer, the PC was a tool to be versatile. The reason it was good was it could be used for productive workloads and play games. I guess some people just buy the hardware and OS just to game only. Are they real PC gamers? :cry:

Indeed but they are versatile for most people in that it isn't about high core count workloads but stuff like surfing internet, emails, ms office, discord etc. Yes there are plenty people whom are not doing intensive workloads and mostly game on their PC. Not really sure what point is.

Soldato
Regarding the terms 'gamer' or 'gaming' - I think it started to get more complicated with dual and quad core CPUs.

I'm still mostly in the habit of judging CPUs by their single core performance. For the most part you can multiply this by the number of cores and have a rough idea of the theoretical performance (forget hybrid designs for the moment). The other thing to watch out for is cores running at different clock speeds (the norm for many years now), which unfortunately obscures hardware reviews somewhat.

Single core performance is still the best indicator of CPU value, in my opinion. For years, AMD was behind Intel in performance, but with each generation of Ryzen CPU, they edged closer to catching up, due to a focus on improving IPC. The Ryzen 5000 series had a decisive advantage over Intel for a while, until Intel was forced into releasing a new desktop CPU architecture on their 10nm process, which finally improved IPC, after years of stagnation.

AMD looks set to continue IPC improvements with new 6nm APUs and 5nm Zen 4 CPUs this year. The APUs are just 8 cores... I think they will want to focus on single threaded performance, and a relatively powerful iGPU for Zen4, rather than cramming as many cores onto a die as possible. Integration of additional V-Cache also seems likely, considering the resources they've already spent on developing '3D cache' tech. Perhaps, this is something that will come a little later, like the Zen3D CPU?

It's been good to see the focus shift towards single core performance again, with AMD's last few CPU generations, away from core count, increasing power usage and expensive cooling.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Indeed but they are versatile for most people in that it isn't about high core count workloads but stuff like surfing internet, emails, ms office, discord etc. Yes there are plenty people whom are not doing intensive workloads and mostly game on their PC. Not really sure what point is.

Sorry yeah that was off the back of jiggers post where the word gamer/gaming was mentioned four times in sixteen words. Thinking out loud I guess.

Soldato
When did gamer become so overused and senseless? I thought even though I was a gamer, the PC was a tool to be versatile. The reason it was good was it could be used for productive workloads and play games. I guess some people just buy the hardware and OS just to game only. Are they real PC gamers? :cry:

The jury is out. The DIY console market is a thing, the question is can it sustain the investment required to supply a tailored product. This could one of those rare cases the marketing types could earn their money.

Back
Top Bottom