• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD confirms Ryzen 7 5800X3D launches this spring, Zen4 Raphael in 2H 2022

Soldato
Yup. But, you'll be able to upgrade to Raptor Lake too, so worth a thought. Need to wait for confirmation of that though, and which LGA 1700 chipsets.

Soldato
You already have a 5ghz Zen 3 CPU though, so maybe not so relevant to you. But, other people exist also you know :D

Zen3D will have a lower clock rate than Zen 3, so already we know the performance won't be anything incredible.

Caporegime
From an AMD system. It might actually be cheaper just to buy a cheap Intel LGA 1700 board if people are looking for an upgrade from Zen 3 or older CPUs. At least, compared to upgrading to a 5800X3D CPU.

You already have a 5ghz Zen 3 CPU though, so maybe not so relevant to you. But, other people exist also you know :D

Zen3D is reducing the clock speed of Zen 3, so already we know the performance won't be anything incredible.

I have a Zen 3 CPU, and even then as my friends keep reminding me its only half of one.

Associate
Yup. But, you'll be able to upgrade to Raptor Lake too, so worth a thought. Need to wait for confirmation of that though, and which LGA 1700 chipsets.

So he should buy completely new platform just to be able to buy RPL? did you take into account the total cost of all this? If he consider to buy completely new platform then he would buy Zen 4 cuz Zen 4 will have longer support than Intel. RPL is 99% last cpu of that platform, while Zen 4 is the first one, so why he should consider to buy ADL sistem and then after that RPL, it is LOL, and more expensive than buying only Zen 4 that will be competitive with RPL, and also have at least support for 2 generations cpu.

Soldato
Yup, I did say that earlier. Zen 4 is looking like a great option (in 2022, unless delayed) for anyone who doesn't need to upgrade / build a new system now.

A Raptor Lake upgrade on LGA1700 is just nice to have, particularly on a cheaper motherboard.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So he should buy completely new platform just to be able to buy RPL? did you take into account the total cost of all this? If he consider to buy completely new platform then he would buy Zen 4 cuz Zen 4 will have longer support than Intel. RPL is 99% last cpu of that platform, while Zen 4 is the first one, so why he should consider to buy ADL sistem and then after that RPL, it is LOL, and more expensive than buying only Zen 4 that will be competitive with RPL, and also have at least support for 2 generations cpu.

Jesus dude, you're insufferable. It's like as soon as someone suggests an Intel system you're instantly triggered. Take a day off ffs.

I'm pretty sure people are aware that if you're not upgrading right now, then Zen4 is coming.

Soldato
I think Raptor Lake might actually be better if they stuck to DDR5, and focused on improving the memory controller. But, it seems doubtful, especially since DDR5 is expensive and in short supply. Plus, it would kill the upgrade path for tons of ppl on Alder Lake DDR4 boards (the majority of customers because of the prices of DDR5 and DDR5 boards).

Meteor Lake (scheduled for 2023 release) will almost certainly only support DDR5.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the main issue AMD has between 2022 Q1-Q3, is that their Ryzen 6000 series CPUs are for mobile devices only:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/EJU...4144/Screen_Shot_2022_01_04_at_8.05.39_AM.png

In several ways, they look like better CPUs than Zen3D. Really these two line-ups could've been combined to make something better. E.g. Zen 3D on 6nm EUV, with higher clocks.

One of the reasons this didn't happen in my view, is that Zen 4 is coming late 2022, so it might seem like a wasted effort. Also, if these hypothetical desktop CPUs were deemed to be too good, many might not bother upgrading to Zen 4.

Another is that the RNDA 2 graphics chips of these mobile APUs benefit from the 6nm fabrication technology. This could make these GPUs very competitive, and presumably very profitable. They will benefit from the improved memory bandwidth offered by DDR5 also.

A good comparison in terms of performance is the Series S GPU, vs the new 6000 series APU graphics:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-680m.c3871
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/xbox-series-s-gpu.c3683

The theoretical performance should be quite similar, based on the above specs, with the Series S still likely to be a bit faster. But the 'Rembrandt' GPU appears to require much less power.

It's quite possible that Zen 4 CPUs (Ryzen 7000 series) will include GPUs that are faster than the Series S GPU.

TLDR:
The 5800X3D seems like a swansong for AM4, aimed mostly at customers who just want a relatively quick and easily upgrade (but not those with 12/16 core CPU). It's notable though that the 5600X has a slightly higher Boost clock, at 4.6Ghz. Hopefully, it will be possible to overclock the 5800X3D upto at least 5800X levels, with sufficient cooling.

Last edited:
Associate
AMD decreased Zen3d clock to put them in 105tdp but you can overclock it, and also all zen3d will be B2 stepping so little better efficiency and overclock potential, enough to compensate that cache.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
agreed. People are making the same mistake that hardware unboxed called out many times - often you'll hear people say you need X number of cores for games, productivity or whatever and it's simply not true - the only thing that matters is performance and number of cores does not equal an absolute measure of performance. 1+1 will always be 2 but 1 core != 1 core.

You can see perfect evidence of this concept in Intels newest CPUs - people last year and the year before said quad core CPUs were dead and not good enough for gaming, yet Intel now has a quad core that beats all ryzen 3000 CPUs including the 16 core 3950x in gaming
Glad to see HUD educating you on these topics. Not so long ago you was laughing at 6 cores yourself with 4K8K :cry:

Soldato
Not the Brum thing again please :cry:

My friends are couple of jokers, no word of a lie i upgraded my RAM from 16GB to 32GB a while ago, with in days one of them went from 32GB to 64GB.
I have a friend like that too :cry:. He has to have better hardware than me, or he did before he lost interest in PC gaming.

Associate

99% of people dont bother upgrading an existing cpu till its end of life or a significant generation shift in performance then its new system time people on these forums are the 1%

so it just pays to buy whats best bang for buck at the time

Back
Top Bottom