*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Is it still worth getting a Quest 2 for PCVR and standalone? - there's nothing to compare on the horizon?? - I have a 3080 and soon to be installed 5800x. my eyes are quite close together too (I know IPD isn't that adjustable). I plan on using it cabled (with the cable that charges..)

Does VR still work in squadrons? Half Life Alex work OK on the Quest? Are there any good shooters? Can you up the bitrate on wifi? I have a wifi6 antenna on my mobo...

Is it worth getting the elite strap/strap and battery

Thanks guys

Dave

I wouldnt get the elite strap and battery ours broke after 4 months of very very very very light use. Also the battery is 5200mah which doesnt give you that more run time. Better off getting one of the 10000mah and either getting a custom strap/velcro or just do what we do and stick it in your back pocket.

We ended up going with the BOBOVR M2 Strap which is a lot more comfortable and easier to get on and off. Only downside is it doesnt fit the official case and the one for it is £60.
So not done anything about that at the moment.

Associate
Is it still worth getting a Quest 2 for PCVR and standalone? - there's nothing to compare on the horizon?? - I have a 3080 and soon to be installed 5800x. my eyes are quite close together too (I know IPD isn't that adjustable). I plan on using it cabled (with the cable that charges..)

Does VR still work in squadrons? Half Life Alex work OK on the Quest? Are there any good shooters? Can you up the bitrate on wifi? I have a wifi6 antenna on my mobo...

Thanks guys

Dave
The IPD can be adjusted, but to only 3 settings.

Soldato
IPD can be adjusted between those 3 settings too. The software allows it. It's just fiddly. If you have a 3d printer, you can print out a way to lock them in place to an ipd inbetween (otherwise a small bump may move it if positioned inbetween).

Associate

Thanks guys

Dave
I would say the Quest 2 is still a fantastic experience for the money both standalone and on pc! We don't really know when the next headsets are going to be announced/released but they'll probably be out late this year at the earliest so depends how desperate you are. You won't be disappointed with the Quest 2 for sure! And Squadrons still works with Vr and is incredible. Although I'm not sure what the multiplayer playerbase is like currently

Soldato
I would say that wireless PC VR on the Quest works best for games with simpler graphics, or those that don't have very busy scenes, as the compression can look bad.
The best example of a game that looks pretty poor on the Quest 2 is Skyrim VR, as the drab colours and busy scenes makes it very smeary and muddy on the Quest 2 compared to a wired headset like the Index. Another is the Oculus Native title Stormlands.
That said, if you use a link cable and up the bitrate it can look pretty good, and the majority of titles look great in wireless or wired.

Soldato
Yeah I’ve always thought the Quest 2 looked okay playing Half Life Alyx etc, but plugging it in via cable and playing on a 3080 looks incredible.

Still can’t say I find myself coming back to my Quest 2 much after playing through Alyx. I think Alyx can spoil you as it’s such a fantastic game and not much compares. Will pick up Pistol Whip if it comes on sale as that seems to have a bunch of people here hooked.

Soldato
Yeah I’ve always thought the Quest 2 looked okay playing Half Life Alyx etc, but plugging it in via cable and playing on a 3080 looks incredible.

Still can’t say I find myself coming back to my Quest 2 much after playing through Alyx. I think Alyx can spoil you as it’s such a fantastic game and not much compares. Will pick up Pistol Whip if it comes on sale as that seems to have a bunch of people here hooked.

It was on sale a few days ago, so I'd not expect it to come around again too soon. Definitely a fun game, but one of those where you need to be happy to make your own challenges in some ways. Similar to beat saber in that respect (more tiring though I reckon, more satisfying too).

Associate
Hi folks,

Considering that the quest 2 has been out for a while now, and a new offering may well be in the works by Meta is it still worth buying or holding off until next model comes out?

I'm an oldie and want it mainly for strretview kind of sttuff etc, probalby will try a few games too, not too fussed on linking to facebook but it seems no way out of that.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks a lot Joe.

Soldato
Hi folks,

Considering that the quest 2 has been out for a while now, and a new offering may well be in the works by Meta is it still worth buying or holding off until next model comes out?

As far as we know there is no direct replacement for the Quest 2 due anytime soon. In fact recently Meta upgraded the base model to 128gb.

The next headset from Meta will be a Pro/business model which is likely to be far more expensive.

So it should be fine getting the Quest 2, and it's excellent value for money.

Soldato
what bit rates have people been able to achieve when playing wired? is the full 500 realistic?

500 is achievable with a decent USB C cable and full-speed USB C port, and of course a decently fast PC to run VR. I've had the bitrate upped to 500 while wired with excellent results.

Just don't force 500 while playing wirelessly, as it becomes a slideshow and will make you feel ill.

Associate
Thanks for reply guys as regards buying the Quest 2 now, As far as comfort is concerned is the Elite strap necessary, or is there a good compatible one available such as on ebay?

Just ordered with 4 years accidental breakdown cover, the 128 model total cost including insurance £354.98 from Argos in uk
Thanks Guys.
Joe

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for reply guys as regards buying the Quest 2 now, As far as comfort is concerned is the Elite strap necessary, or is there a good compatible one available such as on ebay?

Just ordered with 4 years accidental breakdown cover, the 128 model total cost including insurance £354.98 from Argos in uk
Thanks Guys.
Joe

I never found the stock strap to be that bad, now I've added the little skullcap like attachment to the back (along with some old foam I had around) it's really good. Biggest single comfort improvement is a counterweight. Ideally, just use a powerbank (10k is usually a good weight). You can buy universal attachments to stick them on, or just use velcro cable ties (or plastic ones!).

EDIT - Then you need to buy walkabout mini golf and join us on the hangout thread for some rounds.

Underboss
Soldato
Lots of people have had elite straps break, so it's not really recommended. Kiwi design do a nice elite style strap though.
With Quest 2 you're spoiled for 3rd party straps.

Associate
Thanks,

As regards my Facebook linking account, I have to admit for reasons of privacy I don't use my real name, if worse was to happen and for some reason they disable the account, could that be a whole lot of hassle almost like bricking the Oculus?
Hopefully there would be a way around this.

Joe

Soldato
Thanks,

As regards my Facebook linking account, I have to admit for reasons of privacy I don't use my real name, if worse was to happen and for some reason they disable the account, could that be a whole lot of hassle almost like bricking the Oculus?
Hopefully there would be a way around this.

Joe

Yes, that will be a whole lot of hassle. It won't brick the Quest 2, it just means that you will lose everything on your account. Games and apps etc are linked to the account not the headset.

At the moment there is no way around this. There is a zero tolerance policy for Fake accounts. There is no appeal.

However if your Facebook account has been active for years you will probably be fine. Just as long as you aren't one of those people who gets involved in stupid arguments on Facebook or who likes posting up political crap.

Associate
Ahh thanks for that, just to add I have now changed to my correct name on that account and updated email as well on the account, but will probably leave it for a few days before signing up on the Oculus (Facebooks algorithms can be a bit funny and take a few hours to work, so just in case they ban me for name change)

Yep have the account for years.

Back
Top Bottom