The Cryptolambo had gone to the moon... Time for Cryptolambo 2!!!

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
How hard can it be to change a battery?

Well, very, apparently.

Battery in, put all the front trunk liner in etc went for test drive.

Started out fine, about a mile in electrical systems started to misbehave, lost the ability to change gears.

Tried to turn around to get back and car in front was going super slow so eventually the car stalled out. Waited 2 minutes, car restarts, got back chucked on code reader.

Changed old battery back, cleared codes, went for a long drive, all seems fine.

Car isnt happy about "something" with the battery. Thinking sod it, might just get a standard AGM now :cry:

OcUK Staff
How hard can it be to change a battery?

Well, very, apparently.

Battery in, put all the front trunk liner in etc went for test drive.

Started out fine, about a mile in electrical systems started to misbehave, lost the ability to change gears.

Tried to turn around to get back and car in front was going super slow so eventually the car stalled out. Waited 2 minutes, car restarts, got back chucked on code reader.

Changed old battery back, cleared codes, went for a long drive, all seems fine.

Car isnt happy about "something" with the battery. Thinking sod it, might just get a standard AGM now :cry:

Was lithium battery an option on your car from factory?

Seems odd though considering I’ve fitted such battery to Abarth, S2000, E46 M3, F-Type SVR, Mustang and Exige, all without issue.

Soldato
How’s the voltage on the new battery? Maybe it arrived a bit low? Italian cars are notoriously fussy with batteries and the gearbox not playing ball is often a telltale sign. It basically thinks there’s not enough voltage to make the change so refuses to even try.

Happened on my 4C even with a 0.2v drop, it gets exacerbated down the line to the ECU with aging connectors etc eventually reading even less to the point it gives up.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Was lithium battery an option on your car from factory?

Seems odd though considering I’ve fitted such battery to Abarth, S2000, E46 M3, F-Type SVR, Mustang and Exige, all without issue.

Nope, but plenty of people have done this upgrade without issue.

How’s the voltage on the new battery? Maybe it arrived a bit low? Italian cars are notoriously fussy with batteries and the gearbox not playing ball is often a telltale sign. It basically thinks there’s not enough voltage to make the change so refuses to even try.

Happened on my 4C even with a 0.2v drop, it gets exacerbated down the line to the ECU with aging connectors etc eventually reading even less to the point it gives up.

The opposite, "overvoltage" warnings on everything from TPMS to the door release to the gearbox. Its showing 13.5 volts at the terminals, the ECU is reading 12.5v

Soldato
Nope, but plenty of people have done this upgrade without issue.

The opposite, "overvoltage" warnings on everything from TPMS to the door release to the gearbox. Its showing 13.5 volts at the terminals, the ECU is reading 12.5v

With the engine off? That is high. Weird, maybe leave the high beams on for a bit or charge some stuff to try and bring it down?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I was actually watching something the other day where they kept a constant power feed on the car when changing the battery so the car didn't lose calibration for the transmission etc (that was an Aventador SV of some description). Unlikely the issue given the old battery reversed the issue mind you.

Apparently all the ECUs and whatnot work to fractions of a volt and get fussy so maybe it needs knocking down a peg, or maybe the battery is the wrong spec?

Soldato
Bit of a random thought, on the tesla forums they are going on about new cars having liion 12v (this is relevant). Apparently the voltage is higher on the lion than a standard battery so a few things need changing to make it work right, might explain your higher voltage issues.

Soldato
Bit of a random thought, on the tesla forums they are going on about new cars having liion 12v (this is relevant). Apparently the voltage is higher on the lion than a standard battery so a few things need changing to make it work right, might explain your higher voltage issues.

The tesla one is actually 16V, and super low internal resistance cells.

Soldato
Maybe completely unuseful but other high end cars in the VAG group (R8 etc) need the new battery recoding after a change, by changing the battery serial no and/or part no within the cars ECU (using VCDS, doubt lambo uses that). If you don't do this it can cause all manner of electrical gremlins.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Maybe completely unuseful but other high end cars in the VAG group (R8 etc) need the new battery recoding after a change, by changing the battery serial no and/or part no within the cars ECU (using VCDS, doubt lambo uses that). If you don't do this it can cause all manner of electrical gremlins.

Strangely enough when pulling up the previous battery, it was never coded into the car.

"All the modules lose memory including the clutch and the door handle module."

Wouldnt explain why putting old battery back just "worked".

OcUK Staff
Strangely enough when pulling up the previous battery, it was never coded into the car.

Wouldnt explain why putting old battery back just "worked".

I'd try the battery again but once you turn the car on leave it idling for 10 minutes as the car has had a major reset and might need to relearn certain things before you jump in it and attempt mach 1.
Still it seems odd but maybe its a Lamborghini thing, never once had an issue swapping a battery out.

Soldato
As I say, I'd be surprised if the alternator wasn't putting out an increased voltage because some sensor somewhere in some system is detecting (detected) a degrading battery (a la BMW). If those values aren't reset, or calibrated, new battery gets overcharged leading to problems. I mean, Lamborghini main dealers do have a battery calibration service item, after all.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
You not getting lubed up in the big house yet?

Not yet. I had an email 2 days ago with a minor update from the Professional Standards department saying its been escalated to a senior case handler due to the potential seriousness of some of my points.

I'm guessing they've watched the video from the cars involved, and looked at the email correspondence and realized they're in a very deep hole as the officer has lied about the chain of events.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
The prelude to a car going over 200mph :D

278481147-10221306088429229-3751050889144943306-n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom