What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Saw Prestige at the cinema on release. It's good, but I also really enjoyed 'The Illusionist' that came out at a similar time. A little more muted and less flash than The Prestige, but still decent, with Ed Norton, Paul Giamatti, and Jessica Biel.
Yes indeed, the illusionist is also an excellent film. Maybe not quite as clever or grand as the prestige, but highly worthwhile all the same. I'd rate that as a 7.5
Thanks chaps, hadn't heard of either but gave Prestige a watch the other night and really enjoyed it. Illusionist next on the list.

I watched Run the other day, thought it was quite decent - 6.5/10. Easy watch for a film sometimes badged as a horror (it's really not).

Associate
Soldato
Thanks chaps, hadn't heard of either but gave Prestige a watch the other night and really enjoyed it. Illusionist next on the list.

I watched Run the other day, thought it was quite decent - 6.5/10. Easy watch for a film sometimes badged as a horror (it's really not).

Glad you enjoyed the prestige, great film.

I have seen run, pretty good film. But you're right, definitely not a horror film.

Caporegime
Case 39. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795351/

It starts off quite predictably but I'm glad to say takes a turn into something I didn't expect, and perhaps for the better.

I might have had more of an idea of what was in store if I had paid more attention to the film description beforehand,
but I try not to take in too much info before viewing.

That scene with Bradley Cooper in the bathroom was good, a little more of that would have made for an even better overall experience, in my biased view.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Yaksha: Ruthless Operations - 7/10

Popped up as a recommendation on my Netflix so thought why not. Entertaining enough, although it was pretty predictable. Loved the whole Korea/China/Japan mix, makes me want to go over there!

Associate
Watched the Mad Max trilogy over the last three days. While I can't remember whether I liked them as a kid, they are quite, quite bad. The first film has some of the worst acting I've seen. The second is just a little better, and the final instalment isn't much better, but has Tina Turner in playing the 'bad guy' so gets a point for that.

Mad Max - 2/10
Mad Max 2 - 3/10
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome

Mad Max 2/10!? What do you rate as a 10/10 film?

The car stunts, plot and how they did it with a shoestring budget makes the film remarkable! I personally prefer Mad Max over the bigger budget sequels.

Soldato
Mad Max was just painful to watch. Wasn't rating it on the stunts, but it bored me ****less and had such horrendous acting. That's why it gets a 2/10 from me. You obviously like it a lot more, which is fine, but I thought it was **** - in fact all four films are pretty rubbish.

Associate
The Hunter (1980)

Steve McQueen's last film, perhaps I went in with too high an expectation. Hoping for a thriller, like The Getaway. It has a lighter tone and humour, its okay, but not a classic. Glad to have watched though. 5/10.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The Batman - 9/10

The best take on the caped crusader. Let down only by Pattinson’s weird looking face / weak Bruce Wayne. Thankfully he was in the suit for 99% of the film so it didn’t bother me too much but Christ, he’s one ugly guy!

Made Bales Batman look like the comedy Schumacher films. Very gritty and some epic cinematography… I’ll be damned if it doesn’t win an Oscar.

Soldato
All The Old Knives - 7/10 pretty good spy drama tight story a pretty small cast no explosions. Well worth your time.
Scott Pilgrim vs The World - 9/10 this film is just great a re-watch whilst the wife was at the in-laws with the kids.

Associate
The Lighthouse (2019)
Surprisingly funny film that devolves brilliantly into some weird, almost horror-esque thriller, with 2 amazing performances by Willem and Rob (Willem definitely stole the show though). Rob's accent was a bit all over the place, but I still really enjoyed it. 9/10

Drive My Car (2021)
After watching a lot of fantastical sci-fi epics like Dune, or comic book movies like The Batman and No Way Home recently, it was refreshing to watch a movie with none of that; just completely grounded in reality. I can see how it won't be everyone's cup of tea given its runtime and lack of "stuff" that happens, but in my opinion, it's totally carried by the performances, and for me, the level of restraint and wisdom shown by the main character took be aback. 8/10.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The best take on the caped crusader. Let down only by Pattinson’s weird looking face / weak Bruce Wayne. Thankfully he was in the suit for 99% of the film so it didn’t bother me too much but Christ, he’s one ugly guy!

I always find it funny with Pattinson as I would say the majority of women consider him conventionally attractive. It's only ever men that I hear criticising his appearance i.e. massive jaw etc.

Soldato
Glad you enjoyed the prestige, great film.

I have seen run, pretty good film. But you're right, definitely not a horror film.
I gave Illusionist a watch last night. Probably unfair to compare it to Prestige but it was a decent watch.

I think the big issue was that in Prestige the magic was "believable" where as in Illusionist it was a bit distracting at how unbelievable it was. I guess the realism had to be exaggerated for a modern audience otherwise we'd be confusing ourselves with the period of time it was set within etc. ('how can they not see it is projects/mist/fake/whatever').

Soldato
The Night House - 7/10 - following the suicide of her husband, strange things start happening in a womans home.

This was a pleasant surprise, expected a generic supernatural horror but had some fairly decent scary build ups, a relatively unique story and pay off (for mainstream horror at least), glad I gave it a watch.

Soldato
The Night House - 7/10 - following the suicide of her husband, strange things start happening in a womans home.

This was a pleasant surprise, expected a generic supernatural horror but had some fairly decent scary build ups, a relatively unique story and pay off (for mainstream horror at least), glad I gave it a watch.

I thought this was a really good film too. A cut above the average horror flick.

Back
Top Bottom