Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
NATO RQ-4D drone doing a lap around Ukraine (UAVGH000) not a very common sighting.

Also persistent overlapping coverage with Boeing E-3B Sentry AWACS which is curious - usually means they anticipate something.

Soldato
*Brussels Predicts €195bn Bill To Wean EU Off Russian Energy – FT
https://www.ft.com/content/2aef066b-3cdb-49c2-9258-38575b4ad799
ysojYcP.png

eMR1k8q.png

Soldato
Personally I think we should work more with Sweden on developing the CV-90
I've been saying this for a long time, the CV90 is an outstanding platform, even more so in the most recent varients. I'm still completely baffelled that we persist on trying to keep the AJAX programme on life support. Its a failed project and one that is going to take years to rectify leaving us with a capability gap in the process. I never quite understood why we chose the General Dynamics offering over the proven, reliable and highly adaptable CV90 platform. I have my suspicions, and I'm sure people's careers post comission were secured, palms were greased and back pockets filled. But hey I'll never see either vehicle, I doubt it'll even see a proper roll out before my time is done. Just like so many other struggling projects (Looking at you Morpheous:rolleyes:).

Soldato
I've been saying this for a long time, the CV90 is an outstanding platform, even more so in the most recent varients. I'm still completely baffelled that we persist on trying to keep the AJAX programme on life support. Its a failed project and one that is going to take years to rectify leaving us with a capability gap in the process. I never quite understood why we chose the General Dynamics offering over the proven, reliable and highly adaptable CV90 platform. I have my suspicions, and I'm sure people's careers post comission were secured, palms were greased and back pockets filled. But hey I'll never see either vehicle, I doubt it'll even see a proper roll out before my time is done. Just like so many other struggling projects (Looking at you Morpheous:rolleyes:).
forgive me if i'm wrong, but i've been lead to believe in recent months that tanks are playthings of generals and are a weapon of a bygone era?

Soldato
forgive me if i'm wrong, but i've been lead to believe in recent months that tanks are playthings of generals and are a weapon of a bygone era?
I'll take it that you mean this to be a joke?
It has been talked about at great length, not just in this thread but also by countless military experts/youtubers/pundits. Armour is far from obsolete. It is just being utilised very poorly by Russia. When properly supported, with properly trained crews, in a full combined arms battle for the correct types of missions and capabilities, armour still has a place on the battlefield and will continue to do so for decades to come.

Caporegime
If only Putin realised how much Russia would have prospered with de-escalation and cooperation with the west..

Who says he doesn't? But he and his mates are making out like bandits. Credible estimates put Putin's personal wealth at $200 billion and whilst others estimates are much lower, there's no doubt he's immensely rich and his pals are also multi-billionaires. Putin doesn't need Russia to be prosperous when they can just sell oil. Corruption is at the heart of how Russia benefits Putin.

Associate
I was in an anti tank platoon in the early 2000's we were using Milan - it was dead easy to use, I never missed with a live round (we didn't get to fire many of those) and rarely missed on the simulator (thousands of shots).

Even back then when you were in an arms race against armour - Milan could take anything out, but it took 12 seconds to reach its 2km range and you had to guide it all the way and if in that 12 seconds the enemy located you and killed or distracted you with fire, you would end up crashing the missile. Milan made a huge bang and kicked up the loose groun behind you when you fired, advertised where you were if you'd sighted badly. With surprise, we had the edge, but if they saw you first - time to run (and Milan isn't light).

With the latest generation not requiring guidance once launched, the odds have shifted a little and this war really has demonstrated the stopping power of light infantry, fighting in many cases in their own towns and villages when very well suppplied with modern Anti tank weapons.

Tanks have also advanced and Explosive Reactive Armour and active defence systems are supposed to be the counter - I am curious to know how many Russian tanks are fitted for, but not fitted with these systems. If they are all carrying them, they have performed poorly.

Soldato
Everyone posting in this thread are retired generals, obviously.

Who says he doesn't? But he and his mates are making out like bandits. Credible estimates put Putin's personal wealth at $200 billion and whilst others estimates are much lower, there's no doubt he's immensely rich and his pals are also multi-billionaires. Putin doesn't need Russia to be prosperous when they can just sell oil. Corruption is at the heart of how Russia benefits Putin.
To what end though? He barely leaves his bunker at present and keeps everyone at arms tables length (with the exception of his mistress who is reputedly up the duff again much to his reputed annoyance) he's a bird in a gilded cage all that wealth and he can't do anything or go anywhere even if he fled the country there aren't many who would take him in without handing him over to the international criminal court

All he can spend it on is vanity projects like this war trying to achieve a place in history as Putin the Great, conqueror of nazis and harmless ukrainians...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I never missed with a live round (we didn't get to fire many of those) and rarely missed on the simulator (thousands of shots).

When I got to hang out with some of the 1 PARA guys sadly their Milan simulator had been trashed by some school kids on a visit the week before so I never got to have a go on it :( IIRC they said the missiles at the time cost the same as a new car so didn't get to use many for training.

Associate
When I got to hang out with some of the 1 PARA guys sadly their Milan simulator had been trashed by some school kids on a visit the week before so I never got to have a go on it :( IIRC they said the missiles at the time cost the same as a new car so didn't get to use many for training.
Yes - I'd rather had the money than fire the missile - unfortunatly that wasn't an option!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom