What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Drive in 4k
I'm guessing you don't mean the Mark Dacascos movie? One of my favourite tacky martial arts movies from the 90's.

Both The Collector and the sequel The Collection are cracking horror movies.
Were they not making another one, The Coll3cted?

I fancied something Asian for the weekend. I dug out a vhs copy of Sick Nurses but I can't get to my parents house to retrieve my old vcr.

Or maybe Hindi. KKK & Bahubali: The Beginning

Recent watches: The Requin & Shark Bait, Bait was the better one but still a bit meh! Come on guys, gimme a rubber shark anyday! Anyone for The Reef:Stalked lol

Associate
RRR

Apparently the most expensive Indian film ever made, it's a spectacularly over the top action movie but entirely sincere in its telling. The CGI is a bit shonky at times but otherwise it's an incredible spectacle clearly made with a cast of thousands: a true epic. The story is set against the background of the British Empire and the Brits are hilariously villainous in it. I suspect it'll be a complete marmite movie for people used to Western cinema but I loved it. Everything about it is so exaggerated and bombastic, it's much more of a show than we're used to, there's even an interval (it's 3 hours long) and a musical number in the middle. Parts of the story are told through the lyrics of the music, and instead of a conventional end credits, it concludes with a big dance number in which the director of the movie also appears. The story itself is solid enough, a nice tale of oppression, friendship, and betrayal with a nicely told twist, but it's all delivered with extreme clarity and without subtlety.

I think you'll either love it or hate it, so like 3/10 or 13/10 depending on whether it is to you tastes.

One weird thing about it: the film is originally in Telugu, but Netflix has the version dubbed into Hindi so none of it lip syncs correctly. I don't know why they didn't license the original language version or at least offer it as an Audio option. Another oddity is that parts of it are in English but the spoken English and the subtitles for that English are different.
I just want to see this even more now! I've only ever saw a movie in an Indian cinema once (Krish 3, at the Raj Mandir in Jaipur), the crowd were full on crazy and made watching the (terrible film) at least bearable.
There's a great trailer for RRR on the Tube for anyone thinking about watching this, you'll soon know if it's for you :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Fight Club.

Now i get that people regard these types of films as works of genius. Personally i loath them, and want to hate myself every time i fall for watching another.

Obviously i was oblivious to the nature of the film. Despite everybody talking about it, nobody actually did beyond the memes, puns, and the stupidity of calling themselves Tyler Durden 12918 online. I was all set for a rumpus of a film along the lines of something like Gone in 60 Seconds or something, very much the style of the time, and given the cast there was little to doubt that probably would be the case.

Fight Club, The Game, Shutter Island, eXistenZ, all of them, unfortunately can't be unseen.

Soldato
Fight Club.

Now i get that people regard these types of films as works of genius. Personally i loath them, and want to hate myself every time i fall for watching another.

Obviously i was oblivious to the nature of the film. Despite everybody talking about it, nobody actually did beyond the memes, puns, and the stupidity of calling themselves Tyler Durden 12918 online. I was all set for a rumpus of a film along the lines of something like Gone in 60 Seconds or something, very much the style of the time, and given the cast there was little to doubt that probably would be the case.

Fight Club, The Game, Shutter Island, eXistenZ, all of them, unfortunately can't be unseen.
What didn’t you like about it? I’m not going to slate you for it just curious. You said you didn’t like it but not why, other than it not being Gone in 60 Seconds.

Soldato
What didn’t you like about it? I’m not going to slate you for it just curious. You said you didn’t like it but not why, other than it not being Gone in 60 Seconds.

I just regard them as nonsense. Everything about FC being that, a stupid series of wtf setups, over the top quirk, then the reveal a third of the way through the film that what you've watched for the last 40-50 minutes was total **

I get that Brad Pitts performance in the role was something special, much like DiCaprio in Shutter Island. But as soon as the penny drops, i'm out, don't care for whatever character they're portraying, or much less the film.

Each to their own, personally i don't connect.

Soldato
I just regard them as nonsense. Everything about FC being that, a stupid series of wtf setups, over the top quirk, then the reveal a third of the way through the film that what you've watched for the last 40-50 minutes was total **

I get that Brad Pitts performance in the role was something special, much like DiCaprio in Shutter Island. But as soon as the penny drops, i'm out, don't care for whatever character they're portraying, or much less the film.

Each to their own, personally i don't connect.
Fair enough, I sort of get where you’re coming from.

Soldato
Not watched Fight Club in a while but I loved it originally and saw it as a masterpiece of filmmaking. Seeing it from the perspective of a man who clearly has mental health issues and possible schizophrenia imagining a personality to try and help him deal with his life and things he wasn't happy with was genius.

Back
Top Bottom