*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Caporegime
I agree. Unfortunately i noticed all 3 with normal useage (the dead pixel test website just confirmed it), the aero 1s i noticed in msfs, the q2 one against a black background during loading screens and then in the cave house (but i had to look for it in the cave house). The q2 one i ummed and arrd on whether to return it. The aero 1s, no question. Big reason was when i come to sell the aero (like i do all my 'old' hmds when i upgrade) i would have to disclose there was a fault, a dead pixel. This would significantly reduce sale price, i'm not prepared to take that hit.

Edit: my new q2 arrived 30 mins ago, during setting up i detected no dead pixels, after setup went straight to the pixel test, spent a good 10 mins in it, detected no dead pixels :)
Woohoo enjoy the new headset, dead pixel free! I am currently lost in Skyrim VR on my Quest 2 but I would love to try a high PPD headset on it. I really hope we see some badass new consumer headsets in 2023!

Associate
Woohoo enjoy the new headset, dead pixel free! I am currently lost in Skyrim VR on my Quest 2 but I would love to try a high PPD headset on it. I really hope we see some badass new consumer headsets in 2023!
Thanks! I'm excited too by what's coming in 2023. About the high PPD headset, I used the Varjo Aero for about 5 months. It is noticeably higher clarity/resolution than a Quest 2 but it's not like night and day difference. If the Aero was 100% I'd say the Quest 2 was 80% clarity wise.

Caporegime
Thanks! I'm excited too by what's coming in 2023. About the high PPD headset, I used the Varjo Aero for about 5 months. It is noticeably higher clarity/resolution than a Quest 2 but it's not like night and day difference. If the Aero was 100% I'd say the Quest 2 was 80% clarity wise.
Wow, really? Everything I have seen suggests a more significant difference than only 20% due to the higher ppd and asperic lenses. The Quest2 is definitely not a 'super clear' headset and the sweet spot for the clearest vision it provides is quite small imo. All the reactions from the Sim enthusiasts etc goves the impression that they have been pretty blown away by the Aero.

Last edited:
Associate
Wow, really? Everything I have seen suggests a more significant difference than only 20% due to the higher ppd and asperic lenses. The Quest2 is definitely not a 'super clear' headset and the sweet spot for the clearest vision it provides is quite small imo. All the reactions from the Sim enthusiasts etc goves the impression that they have been pretty blown away by the Aero.

The Aero's aspheric lenses mean no godrays which i noticed immediately with the Quest, so there's that. The Aero it does have a bigger sweetspot yeah, it's about 75% of the display. But it has a smaller binocular overlap, which means some people don't quite get the 3D effect as much as they do with other headsets and some people (including myself) could see a little bit of the middle black piece that divides the lenses, not good for immersion. The Quest binocular overlap is very good, has good 3D effect, and no seeing the black dividing piece between the lenses.

Yeah I would say a Quest 2, using link cable with some settings tweaking is 80% (or not far off) as good as the Aero display wise. I'm judging that on my fave vr experience which is msfs, the cockpit (nearby) clarity etc isn't far away at all from the Aero, but things at distance are noticeably more blurry. When i 1st tried the Quest using Air Link with stock settings it looked bad and i thought omg to myself but with using link cable and tweaks it's now acceptable.

tl;dr The Aero is impressive but i've not suffered too much by "downgrading" to a Quest 2. I've saved a packet and it's nice having audio. Roll on GTA San Andreas :D

Caporegime
The Aero's aspheric lenses mean no godrays which i noticed immediately with the Quest, so there's that. The Aero it does have a bigger sweetspot yeah, it's about 75% of the display. But it has a smaller binocular overlap, which means some people don't quite get the 3D effect as much as they do with other headsets and some people (including myself) could see a little bit of the middle black piece that divides the lenses, not good for immersion. The Quest binocular overlap is very good, has good 3D effect, and no seeing the black dividing piece between the lenses.

Yeah I would say a Quest 2, using link cable with some settings tweaking is 80% (or not far off) as good as the Aero display wise. I'm judging that on my fave vr experience which is msfs, the cockpit (nearby) clarity etc isn't far away at all from the Aero, but things at distance are noticeably more blurry. When i 1st tried the Quest using Air Link with stock settings it looked bad and i thought omg to myself but with using link cable and tweaks it's now acceptable.

tl;dr The Aero is impressive but i've not suffered too much by "downgrading" to a Quest 2. I've saved a packet and it's nice having audio. Roll on GTA San Andreas :D
Interesting thanks mate. I also was not impressed with the Ques2 when I bought it, but when I educated myself on the settings and Debugtool it looks pretty damn good in SkyrimVR along with the appropriate mods. I do wonder how the Pimax Crystal will be but that company has a terrible reputation so my hopes are not so high. My hope is that Meta or Valve release something special as a high-end headset with high PPI and inside out tracking. Now that I have the itch for VR I am willing to drop a good chunk on getting a good experience. :)

Associate
I have used the Aero's Big Bruvva - XR3, totally blown away with. Even work's 3090s struggled to maintain 90Hz on a propietry flight sim with scenery scaled down to lowest level our customer would allow.

Soldato
So....my quest 2 ownership (round 2) lasted just a few days, it's just been picked up to go back to the retailer. Reason being I spotted a dead pixel so requested a refund which happened really quickly. So that's 3 consecutive headsets now i've received that have had dead pixels (2 aeros and a quest 2)!

I'm the same as you. I had a quest 2 with a dead pixel, then 3 pico neos with dead pixels followed by a pimax with a dead pixel. I can't be that unlucky. It has to be that most headsets out there have them, but people either don't notice, or don't care. Five headsets with dead pixels lol

They really are annoying. Makes me wonder if they are using B grade panels or something?

Associate
I'm the same as you. I had a quest 2 with a dead pixel, then 3 pico neos with dead pixels followed by a pimax with a dead pixel. I can't be that unlucky. It has to be that most headsets out there have them, but people either don't notice, or don't care. Five headsets with dead pixels lol

They really are annoying. Makes me wonder if they are using B grade panels or something?
5 headsets! thought i was unlucky with 3. have u finally got a dead pixel free hmd? i think once u spot 1 that u become more aware of them in future. 1st thing i'll do from now on is test any new hmd for them.

Soldato
I think we're gonna need a bigger cave.
50743172871_081c5c38ae_o_d.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
I apologise if this has been mentioned further back but it’s quite a long thread!
I have just got into VR with the Quest 2, mainly for the upcoming F1 22. I’ve dabbled with Project Cars and Dirt Rally as that’s all I have that’s VR enabled. They are both in my Steam library.
F1 22 is on Steam and Origin (I have it as well from my Crysis days).
My question is, is getting the VR to work through Origin as straightforward as Steam for the Quest 2?
The title seems to be a good £15 cheaper on Origin and since I have absolutely no loyalty or aversion to either platform, I thought I may as well just buy the cheaper one.

Last edited:
Associate
I apologise if this has been mentioned further back but it’s quite a long thread!
I have just got into VR with the Quest 2, mainly for the upcoming F1 22. I’ve dabbled with Project Cars and Dirt Rally as that’s all I have that’s VR enabled. They are both in my Steam library.
F1 22 is on Steam and Origin (I have it as well from my Crysis days).
My question is, is getting the VR to work through Origin as straightforward as Steam for the Quest 2?
The title seems to be a good £15 cheaper on Origin and since I have absolutely no loyalty or aversion to either platform, I thought I may as well just buy the cheaper one.
It should just work yeah, i have star wars squadrons vr on origin and iirc it still uses steamvr.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom