*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Caporegime
Yep will see how it goes, I'm not too concerned about the minimalist style, I know some of the reviews are vine but they do seem genuine to me, to be honest all the straps even the Kiwi get some one star, so its probably a bit of a lottery to get one you are happy with. Will come back with a bit of feedback when I get it on.
It's about aggregated reviews. If a product is 4.5 stars and above and has hundreds or even thousands of reviews then the general likelihood is that its good. If it has 25 reviews and most are paid for with an included voucher or free product then its probably not great quality. However good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

Soldato
It's about aggregated reviews. If a product is 4.5 stars and above and has hundreds or even thousands of reviews then the general likelihood is that its good. If it has 25 reviews and most are paid for with an included voucher or free product then its probably not great quality. However good luck with it and let us know how it goes!

I tend to look at the curve. If you have a solid curve leading up to 4/5 stars, then you're probably good. If you have a peaks at both ends, even if it's far smaller on the 1s and 2s, it's a problematic item. Perfectly you want to see the reviews getting fewer with each step down in rating, if it jumps up at 1s and 2s, check them out.

Soldato
couple of quick questions for the more knowledgeable of you kind folks :)

heading away with the inlaws next week for a few days and want to bring the quest 2 with me to show them all some vr ;
  • is it possible to even use the quest 2 without an internet connection?
  • if so, can anyone recommend any standalone/offline games that might some vr virgins (preferably without emptying my wallet :p)

Soldato

heading away with the inlaws next week for a few days and want to bring the quest 2 with me to show them all some vr ;
  • if so, can anyone recommend any standalone/offline games that might some vr virgins (preferably without emptying my wallet :p)
Yes, it's completely possible to use the quest without an internet connection but you will get the annoying pop-ups telling you that there's no wifi. Can be disabled I think. As you know, plenty of free games and experiences on the oculus store and also sidequest too.

Soldato

Just make sure you use the headset with an online connection just before you go away so the headset verifies your 'entitlement' to the games. At a pinch you could use a mobile wireless tethered connection to do the online entitlement check (which happens automatically if an internet connection is detected).

I recommend the free experiences First Steps, First contact, Bogo and Elixr.

Some newbie friendly games:
Beat Saber
Walkabout Mini Golf
Space Pirate Trainer
Superhot
Ocean Rift
Pistol Whip
Racket NX
Cubism
Vader Immortal
Wander

Soldato

Another vote for first steps as an excellent introduction, teaches them the controls and gives them a load of tech demo type stuff to play around with.

Walkabout minigolf is definitely a good one, I'd also suggest Real VR fishing as another nice one (perhaps a better speed for some too).

Associate
I'd also suggest Real VR fishing as another nice one (perhaps a better speed for some too).
Another vote for the Real VR Fishing suggestion here, imo it's a nice chilled game u can play literally anywhere i.e. just lounging on the sofa. If you use Sidequest to up the default textures to 2048 the locations you fish in look really nice (some are photographic quality), although they're nice anyway.

Soldato
Oh and I can confirm that the Quest 2 works offline because I had a power cut for most of a day last week, and I was able to use single player games on my Quest 2 with no issue.

Associate
Ok Got the strap yesterday, is a step up from the stock, seems sturdy enough, easy to fit over the speaker sides in the headset just like the original, good fit and comfortable at back of head, easy to adjust head size with rotary control. Lack of any foam at top of head doesn't make any difference to comfort. Still feel some weight of the headset on face so need some slight adjustment by moving headset to get it more comfortable.

My ideal headset with strap would be one that allows the whole headset to seemingly float in front of eyes, with weight distributed evenly all around the headset and strap. I think maybe if there was a headset with some of the electronics all inside headset and strap unit, this might allow for a more even weight distribution all around. I'm sure that in future the headset design will change to get the whole contraption more comfortable.

Obviously If I had a whole selection of straps to try on I would do so and get the most comfortable, but I'm not convinmced there is the perfect strap, its a case of buying what seems a decent strap and sticking with it.

Caporegime
Of course it works offline
Ok Got the strap yesterday, is a step up from the stock, seems sturdy enough, easy to fit over the speaker sides in the headset just like the original, good fit and comfortable at back of head, easy to adjust head size with rotary control. Lack of any foam at top of head doesn't make any difference to comfort. Still feel some weight of the headset on face so need some slight adjustment by moving headset to get it more comfortable.

My ideal headset with strap would be one that allows the whole headset to seemingly float in front of eyes, with weight distributed evenly all around the headset and strap. I think maybe if there was a headset with some of the electronics all inside headset and strap unit, this might allow for a more even weight distribution all around. I'm sure that in future the headset design will change to get the whole contraption more comfortable.

Obviously If I had a whole selection of straps to try on I would do so and get the most comfortable, but I'm not convinmced there is the perfect strap, its a case of buying what seems a decent strap and sticking with it.
Glad to hear its working out, see you feel after a few heavy sessions!

Soldato
Yes, it's completely possible to use the quest without an internet connection but you will get the annoying pop-ups telling you that there's no wifi. Can be disabled I think. As you know, plenty of free games and experiences on the oculus store and also sidequest too.

Just make sure you use the headset with an online connection just before you go away so the headset verifies your 'entitlement' to the games. At a pinch you could use a mobile wireless tethered connection to do the online entitlement check (which happens automatically if an internet connection is detected).

I recommend the free experiences First Steps, First contact, Bogo and Elixr.

Some newbie friendly games:
Beat Saber
Walkabout Mini Golf
Space Pirate Trainer
Superhot
Ocean Rift
Pistol Whip
Racket NX
Cubism
Vader Immortal
Wander

Another vote for first steps as an excellent introduction, teaches them the controls and gives them a load of tech demo type stuff to play around with.

Walkabout minigolf is definitely a good one, I'd also suggest Real VR fishing as another nice one (perhaps a better speed for some too).
cheers all. will get some of those dl'd tonight in preparation for heading off in the morning :)

Man of Honour
To the above list, I will add Lone Echo 1 and 2 (which I think really highlight VR and physics very well - plus have brilliant graphics) and Asgards Wrath

Associate
Just came across these stats about VR use, would be nice to see a breakdown by age as well, I would imagine that 75% of users might be under 25,

Updated,
Another link.

Soldato
Just came across these stats about VR use, would be nice to see a breakdown by age as well, I would imagine that 75% of users might be under 25,

Updated,
Another link.

Thread on OcUk VR users here - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/average-age-of-vr-enthusiasts.18919925/

Back
Top Bottom