The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Soldato
So it seems my Model 3 is suffering from the dodgy control arms on the suspension.
Service visit pushed back twice so far due to parts not being delivered yet. Seems the parts needed are "not readily available in the UK".
Bit funky that basic suspension components are having to come from the US....

Associate
Vertical integration, parts made at the factory, no factory in the UK or a supplier deal to maintain stock.

Why is this a suprise? Or is only the positives we all champion for startups?

#legacyautomakers
Not really, I’ve had to have parts ordered in from Germany for both Audis and BMWs that I’ve owned previously. Don’t see how this is that much different.

Soldato
Bit funky that basic suspension components are having to come from the US....

Sucks when you have to wait for parts, for one recall on the last Merc we had to wait 7 weeks, then the part the dealer received was faulty/out of spec, and had to wait a further 4 weeks, then when they finally fitted it there was an issue with something in the software causing and warning light to come on, so it had to go back for that to be sorted. Don't get me wrong we had good service, but they couldn't give any good reason for the parts taking so long.

Soldato
How many cars have been recalled . so is it a surprise if they are short on parts - is this a new metal fatigue thing, I thought there was an issue with control arm bolts inadequately tightened.?

after reading today about tesla closing/firing 200 people at california auto-pilot offices Musk is consolidating, and competitors seeing scaling up problems.

Soldato
Is it only Tesla as a manufacturer that does OTA software updates ?
No, I put it in the other thread, but a Polestar software update left my partner and kids stranded in a school field after sports day last week, when suddenly the physical keys wouldn't work anymore. Luckily I had set up my phone as a digital key and was able to go there and get the car (and family) home.

Soldato
Had my M3P about 30 months now after a MS P100d and MS75d.

Due to Tesla price increases it’s now with £12k more than when I ordered it. So I’ve made money driving lol. Crazy times that we live in. Pays for the deposit on my incoming MS Plaid.

Great cars.

I'm still on the fence for the Plaid. Going to wait a see what the price is. Convinced it will be a performance bargain, but worried about the build quality as made in USA. Teslas are still lacking some things like working matrix headlights, I'll probably be able to talk myself in and out of it a few more hundred times.

Soldato
I'm still on the fence for the Plaid. Going to wait a see what the price is. Convinced it will be a performance bargain, but worried about the build quality as made in USA. Teslas are still lacking some things like working matrix headlights, I'll probably be able to talk myself in and out of it a few more hundred times.
They all have matrix now, with the model s and x getting early this year. I think some exceptions in some of the model 3 and y due to part shortages.

You know you want it.

Soldato
They all have matrix now, with the model s and x getting early this year. I think some exceptions in some of the model 3 and y due to part shortages.

You know you want it.

Yeah I have a M3P with matrix, but they are yet to do anything special, other than write Tesla

Soldato
I could swear I saw somewhere that using the proper matrix light functions isn't actually road legal in the US yet hence Tesla being in no rush to enable them.

Soldato
I could swear I saw somewhere that using the proper matrix light functions isn't actually road legal in the US yet hence Tesla being in no rush to enable them.
This is correct but from what I understand is that they have just been made legal or they are on the cusp of being made legal.

While tesla sell as many cars, if not more cars, outside the us, their design/software focus is pretty much US only.

Soldato
Most EV’s released in the last 2 years have OTA updates
A think a few are only "infotainment" updates though. I know on my Kona only the centre screen gets any updates, and even then it's usually just things like a slightly different overlay when I use the climate controls. There's never any core updates that change the functionality of (say) the climate control itself.

Associate
A think a few are only "infotainment" updates though. I know on my Kona only the centre screen gets any updates, and even then it's usually just things like a slightly different overlay when I use the climate controls. There's never any core updates that change the functionality of (say) the climate control itself.
So its only Tesla that does updates for the whole car?

Soldato
I’m not really sure why it matters?

I suppose the only thing you could probably say is that Tesla really kickstarted the whole OTA updates thing but it’s certainly not unique anymore.

It should be said that not all of their updates are good either. It took them months to get V11 to be an overall improvement over V10. It’s fine now but the initial release was rushed out to meet their holiday deadline and it’s really obvious that it just wasn’t ready.

Back
Top Bottom