** SAMSUNG 4K 240/165HZ ODYSSEY NEO G8/G7 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Soldato
The poor stand alone puts me off never mind all the other issues!! The amount they're asking too, sheesh!!!! :eek:

Yep classic pc monitor. Expensive and *****. It's been one of the biggest mysteries to me, considering how generally PC gamers are very on top of image quality and stuff, and yet they've put up with substandard displays for absolutely years.
I appreciate a lot of that is because they've had no options.

Associate
will there be any left after pre orders.
I just tried to pre-order a G7 and it said they weren't available, so I'm guessing the answer is "no".
EDIT: I have now managed to pre-order one, and an ETA has been added, so maybe they secured more stock.

I appreciate a lot of that is because they've had no options.
My two monitors are now 7 and 10 years old. I would have bought new ones sooner, but there just wasn't anything worth buying. There still isn't really, but what can I do, given that I need monitors?

Last edited:
Soldato
I just tried to pre-order a G7 and it said they weren't available, so I'm guessing the answer is "no".

My two monitors are now 7 and 10 years old. I would have bought new ones sooner, but there just wasn't anything worth buying. There still isn't really, but what can I do, given that I need monitors?

Yeah I answered my own question as I wrote that.

Associate
So i've been using the Neo G8 for a couple evenings now and i think i'm going to return it.

First off, my panel in terms of QC is pretty decent, no dead pixels as far as i can see, no weird yellowing or other marks on parts of the screen like some review have shown, and when local dimming is off my BLB is decent also. no stutter or flicker that i see and while i can force scanlines using certain images, i don't notice any during normal use.

Two things that i have to get off my chest that i dislike and are probably my reasons for returning;

1. Haloing - Of course it has Haloing, there just isn't enough zones for it not too (I'm thinking in needs at least 4000+ to mitigate this enough to not bother you), and i knew this going in but thought I'd try it anyway to see if it bothered me. Bottom line is, it does.
In normal desktop viewing (reading sites, twitch, YouTube, reddit) and especially anything with dark mode, its near on disgusting, weather on high/low. You have to set it to auto or off for a better desktop experience. The problem is here is that when you want to watch a video or game, the auto mode doesn't actually give you the same experience as setting it to low/high so your ruining the reason you paid for the monitor, but going into the OSD every time you want to switch is not on to me.

The haloing in games is very dependant on the game itself, i tried BF2042 and it didn't bother me one bit, fortunes keep on Warzone, was horrific, entering any building was just bloom/halo city around any object that emitted even a low amount of light. EFT was not nice on the eyes in the menu, outside in customs you didn't notice but enter any darker area with light sources and again it just halo central. Its very much like the image posted in previous pages next to the 42 LG OLED. While the monitor handles bright or outside scenes fine and does look very good, as soon as you go inside or enter darker areas and your just wanting to turn it off.

2. Heat - My god, this thing gets hot, i can feel it radiating heat towards my face as im here, i'm also sure its caused my ambient temp to rise at least 2-3c in my room (no scientific evidence for that haha). The rear and front is warm to touch after its been on for even short periods and it genuinely feels like a fan may have been a good idea. For the first time ever with a display, I'm actually concerned by how warm it gets and potential longevity of the product.

So these are just my thoughts after a couple of days now. The resolution/PPI is great, the 240hz is smooth as butter, the heavy coating isn't even that bad to me (maybe due to the higher ppi), it does also help with black levels i hear. But for the money it costs, the backlight implementation just isn't good enough, if it was 600-700 maybe I'd be more lenient but £1300, no. My 48CX is far superior for the money, and if you can get away with the 42 OLED on your desk then I'd generally advise that instead if your serious about image quality, or even the UW QD-OLEDs.

Excuse my terrible grammar.

Associate
I have 2 G7 Neo's and 1 G8 Neo.

Both model variants are crap, especially in terms of hdr the key selling point. Smaller highlights like doors are fulfilling bare minimum hdr specs:

But daylight scenes are just crappy dark, even hdr 400 crap FI32U for example is much brighter. I have seen this hdr demo on real hdr monitors with 600 nits sustained and 1200 nits peak like an Acer X27. It's worlds brighter and has much better colors, compared with this washed out, color shifting va crap.

People who have no idea how good hdr look like maybe thinking the G7 Neo and G8 Neo are good hdr monitors :D.

I have LG C2 42" even this display is overall in terms of hdr brightness much, much better.

The worst annoying problem with the G8 Neo, even with sdr, are the massively noticable scan lines at 240 hz. Every higher saturated color has this white, horizontal cuts. Easily visible. If not instantly visible, you will see them when scrolling.

Very ugly.

The G7 Neo has worse color shift as the G8 Neo. The coating is on both grainy. Yep i have seen the sub pixel shots from rtings. You may assume the G8 Neo is much worse. But in reality same grainy garbage. LG's nano ips coating oder even Innolux aas-ips coating is much better.

1 G7 Neo and the G8 Neo have dust/dirt inside the panel. G7 Neo 7 x 7 mm bright, grey dust spot, G8 2 x 4 mm black dust/dirt.

The other G7 Neo has no dust, but green stuck pixel. Especially noticeable on black without local dimming.

The stand of both monitors is very wobbly. I wouldnt recommend to use these monitors on a adjustable table, without another table, window board or a wall mount for a monitor arm. In order to stop the wobbling.

Also the color shift is very noticeable. Especially in dark mode. Top is dark grey, rest is lifted grey with green tint and silver glow on top of it (ips glow worse, but this ugly glow is much worser).

Otherwise the colors are in sdr mode (without local dimming) barelay acceptable. Compared with ips or oled a complete joke. With hdr they are even looking more awful.

G7 Neo has at low brightness pwm dimming and buzzing noise.

If you have ever seen proper hdr displays or if you ever had ips with much better colors please dont buy this crap. Even for sdr.

LOL:

Innolux IPS vs. Samsung SVA (CSOT):

Perfect example for bad colors on G8 Neo.

G7 Neo has also scanlines:

g7neoscanlinescud29.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
What are others thoughts on the monitors now you have them? I was so looking forward to this monitor but it just seems that the reviews just aren't up to where I was expecting it to be, although there are some which are great like rtings. Might be a me problem with having too high expectations for a monitor :(

Soldato
So i've been using the Neo G8 for a couple evenings now and i think i'm going to return it.

First off, my panel in terms of QC is pretty decent, no dead pixels as far as i can see, no weird yellowing or other marks on parts of the screen like some review have shown, and when local dimming is off my BLB is decent also. no stutter or flicker that i see and while i can force scanlines using certain images, i don't notice any during normal use.

Two things that i have to get off my chest that i dislike and are probably my reasons for returning;

1. Haloing - Of course it has Haloing, there just isn't enough zones for it not too (I'm thinking in needs at least 4000+ to mitigate this enough to not bother you), and i knew this going in but thought I'd try it anyway to see if it bothered me. Bottom line is, it does.
In normal desktop viewing (reading sites, twitch, YouTube, reddit) and especially anything with dark mode, its near on disgusting, weather on high/low. You have to set it to auto or off for a better desktop experience. The problem is here is that when you want to watch a video or game, the auto mode doesn't actually give you the same experience as setting it to low/high so your ruining the reason you paid for the monitor, but going into the OSD every time you want to switch is not on to me.

The haloing in games is very dependant on the game itself, i tried BF2042 and it didn't bother me one bit, fortunes keep on Warzone, was horrific, entering any building was just bloom/halo city around any object that emitted even a low amount of light. EFT was not nice on the eyes in the menu, outside in customs you didn't notice but enter any darker area with light sources and again it just halo central. Its very much like the image posted in previous pages next to the 42 LG OLED. While the monitor handles bright or outside scenes fine and does look very good, as soon as you go inside or enter darker areas and your just wanting to turn it off.

2. Heat - My god, this thing gets hot, i can feel it radiating heat towards my face as im here, i'm also sure its caused my ambient temp to rise at least 2-3c in my room (no scientific evidence for that haha). The rear and front is warm to touch after its been on for even short periods and it genuinely feels like a fan may have been a good idea. For the first time ever with a display, I'm actually concerned by how warm it gets and potential longevity of the product.

So these are just my thoughts after a couple of days now. The resolution/PPI is great, the 240hz is smooth as butter, the heavy coating isn't even that bad to me (maybe due to the higher ppi), it does also help with black levels i hear. But for the money it costs, the backlight implementation just isn't good enough, if it was 600-700 maybe I'd be more lenient but £1300, no. My 48CX is far superior for the money, and if you can get away with the 42 OLED on your desk then I'd generally advise that instead if your serious about image quality, or even the UW QD-OLEDs.

Excuse my terrible grammar.

MiniLED with more zones are coming, 2000 and 3000 zone models next year and yeah 1000 isn't enough a mouse cursor will still halo you need zones that are significantly smaller

Associate
What are others thoughts on the monitors now you have them? I was so looking forward to this monitor but it just seems that the reviews just aren't up to where I was expecting it to be, although there are some which are great like rtings. Might be a me problem with having too high expectations for a monitor :(
My Neo G7 manages to be both really good and terrible all at once.

• The black levels are nigh perfect. Large black areas are indistiguishable from the the monitor being off.
  • The brightness is ok. I know it's not the brightest HDR monitor, but it's bright enough that if there's a bright scene immediately followed by a dark scene, it takes a couple of seconds for my eyes to adjust before I can see it properly.
  • Very little haloing. It's not noticable at all most of the time.
  • It's fast.
  • Mine has started developing scan lines. It didn't have them to start with. Later, it only had them when the monitor was set to 165Hz. Now it has them even when it's set to 120Hz. I'll keep it for a while to see if it changes, but I might end up having to send it back because of this.
  • Local dimming causes the brightness of the desktop to change. It's quite annoying to have the screen dim just because I opened a web page with a white background. Turning local dimming off completely is the only way to keep the brightness constant.
  • The curve is non-linear, making objects towards the left/right edges of the screen appear to bend backwards.
  • Nonetheless I prefer it to a flat monitor.
  • Viewing angles are terrible, which is probably why it's curved. Definitely not a monitor to share with a second viewer.
  • High power consumption. My other 32" 4k monitor uses 34W. The Neo G7 uses 71W.
  • Colours are muted. This can't be because the gamut is too small, since it does sometimes display colours that are far more saturated than an SDR monitor. It's changed over time too, becoming worse - maybe related to the scan lines?
  • The AR coating is good. I generally prefer matter monitors than this, but it actually has less of a problem with reflections than other monitors I have. AR coatings are certainly a lot better than they used to be.

OcUK Staff
OP
My Neo G7 manages to be both really good and terrible all at once.

• The black levels are nigh perfect. Large black areas are indistiguishable from the the monitor being off.
  • The brightness is ok. I know it's not the brightest HDR monitor, but it's bright enough that if there's a bright scene immediately followed by a dark scene, it takes a couple of seconds for my eyes to adjust before I can see it properly.
  • Very little haloing. It's not noticable at all most of the time.
  • It's fast.
  • Mine has started developing scan lines. It didn't have them to start with. Later, it only had them when the monitor was set to 165Hz. Now it has them even when it's set to 120Hz. I'll keep it for a while to see if it changes, but I might end up having to send it back because of this.
  • Local dimming causes the brightness of the desktop to change. It's quite annoying to have the screen dim just because I opened a web page with a white background. Turning local dimming off completely is the only way to keep the brightness constant.
  • The curve is non-linear, making objects towards the left/right edges of the screen appear to bend backwards.
  • Nonetheless I prefer it to a flat monitor.
  • Viewing angles are terrible, which is probably why it's curved. Definitely not a monitor to share with a second viewer.
  • High power consumption. My other 32" 4k monitor uses 34W. The Neo G7 uses 71W.
  • Colours are muted. This can't be because the gamut is too small, since it does sometimes display colours that are far more saturated than an SDR monitor. It's changed over time too, becoming worse - maybe related to the scan lines?
  • The AR coating is good. I generally prefer matter monitors than this, but it actually has less of a problem with reflections than other monitors I have. AR coatings are certainly a lot better than they used to be.
Hopefully once TFTcentral have had it for a week they'll share the best settings to make the most of this monitor!

Associate
Hopefully once TFTcentral have had it for a week they'll share the best settings to make the most of this monitor!
They definitely do the best monitor reviews.

I tried calibrating it but couldn't get it to work properly. I gather that this is because colorimeters don't handle wide-gamut displays well. I'm going to get a spectrometer to see if I can do it properly. Just doing it by eye against my other (known to be reasonably accurate) monitor, it looks better just by turning the saturation up from 50 to 60.

Also, the scan lines have gone away again.

Soldato
based on comments from reviewers who's used apple's 10,000 zone MiniLED panel, MiniLED monitors will continue to have visible blooming for sometime yet. Even with 10,000 zones bloom is still sometimes visible - a lot less visible than 1,000 zones but it's not matching OLED and it's estimated that to make blooming invisible to the human eye requires somewhere between 10,000 and 100,000 zones

Associate
I just read the TFTCentral review of the G8. I'm kinda surprised Badass didn't mention the AR film. I found it to be one of the worst modern AR films I've seen on a monitor. Dirty/sparkly and detracted noticeably from the 4K clarity. That and the super obvious scan lines made me return it.

Back
Top Bottom