** SAMSUNG 4K 240/165HZ ODYSSEY NEO G8/G7 AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER **

Associate
Tested the G8 vs the 42C2 and there is no comparison across the board. G8 returning to Samsung.

20220630_205238-jpg.488046

Caporegime
Yup, the Samsung is looking like awful value for money atm when options are compared (and I really don't like the look of the comparison above, OLED is miiiiiiiiles better!).

I think I'm going 42C2 for the £943 it's currently at :)

Soldato
Tested the G8 vs the 42C2 and there is no comparison across the board. G8 returning to Samsung.

20220630_205238-jpg.488046

why is the blooming so bad

digitaltrends just did a video saying people should stop talking about local dimming cause the average person can't see blooming anymore

well I always knew Caleb Denison was an idiot

Soldato
First "review"

This is a very casual YouTube channel so reviews are generally bad as is the case here too but you do get to see the screen in action at least.

There is one interesting thing he mentioned, the brightness of the screen drops a lot when variable refresh is used and for some reason he says the monitor doesn't support Gsync, which I don't think is the case

Associate
I can’t see a price or where to actually order it. It says “where to buy” and then just lists places which don’t have it when you search for it. ‍
Same, it's newly added finally but can't find a way to purchase. Spoke to Samsung and they said the third parties already have them but I'm still unable to find anywhere...

Associate
God those reviews were both awful.
Yep, at the moment I would probably choose either the AW3423DW or the LG C2 42” over the Neo G8/7.

Hopefully there will be a HUB review soon that goes into more depth. I am quite concerned with the Samsung QC as there has been quite a few people post with issues.

Soldato
Unfortunately it's as I suspected. Whilst OLED is available this monitor comes dead in the water. Especially when you consider how much this thing costs. I wouldn't touch it at £500 with that nasty curve :(

Last edited:
Associate
Anybody tempted to try one when it's released ?
I am thinking about trying the Neo G7 while my AW3423DW is on order. But also still thinking of the LG C2 42”. And then pairing it with a 7800XT/ 7900XT when they come out. My goal is to eventually play AAA single player games at 120-144hz which I think the new cards should be able to reach.

Soldato
I am thinking about trying the Neo G7 while my AW3423DW is on order. But also still thinking of the LG C2 42”. And then pairing it with a 7800XT/ 7900XT when they come out. My goal is to eventually play AAA single player games at 120-144hz which I think the new cards should be able to reach.
I had a good experience with the G7 personally but wanted to go 4K 144hz so i am currently running a Gigabyte M28U.

I might give the G8 a whirl if the price is right but not at £1300.

Associate
I had a good experience with the G7 personally but wanted to go 4K 144hz so i am currently running a Gigabyte M28U.

I might give the G8 a whirl if the price is right but not at £1300.
Very true. The price is not great and especially when in the US you can use discount codes to get 15-20% off. I think they need to lower the price especially with the Sony M9 coming out at £999. I think the Neo G7 should be £999 and the Neo G8 £1100. For a starting price before discounts or special offers. Amazon was selling them for $999 which makes the UK price an even bigger kick in the teeth.

When you can buy a LG C2 42” for £949 with a discount and before cash back. It makes the Samsung prices look even worse as well.

Soldato
Very true. The price is not great and especially when in the US you can use discount codes to get 15-20% off. I think they need to lower the price especially with the Sony M9 coming out at £999. I think the Neo G7 should be £999 and the Neo G8 £1100. For a starting price before discounts or special offers. Amazon was selling them for $999 which makes the UK price an even bigger kick in the teeth.

When you can buy a LG C2 42” for £949 with a discount and before cash back. It makes the Samsung prices look even worse as well.

Yeah i noticed the yanks are getting it at a better deal with some discount codes, hopefully the UK price will get adjusted but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Sony M9 is overpriced also and is only 27", LG 42" C2 is the sensible option but still to big for my liking.

Associate
Yeah i noticed the yanks are getting it at a better deal with some discount codes, hopefully the UK price will get adjusted but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Sony M9 is overpriced also and is only 27", LG 42" C2 is the sensible option but still to big for my liking.
Yep which is why I the 32” Neo G8/7 still pulls me. If the C2 was 32” then it would clinch it. As with a 42” I would either have to wall mount it or get a against the wall stand.

I don’t think anyone is coming out with a OLED smaller. There are the 34” UWs but nothing at 4K. Asus has a 42” and 48” coming. But then that puts you in the same boat as the C2.

Rtings and HUB have both said they have got the Neo G8/7 and are testing with results posted next week. So that might give me the final decision to make as I trust their reviews.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom