• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Soldato
Well if the prices are accurate, Zen4 best have insane ST & MT performance leadship, over 12th and 13th gen from Intel.

I've been saying for months, can't see how AMD can compete with a 13th gen i5, cheap Z690 board and DDR4, for the mainstream builds.

I'm still going to jump on Zen4 for the high end flagship, assuming ST is better than 12/13th gen, looking forward to reviews :)

Associate
Going by the judge in performance in gaming of the current 3D chips, its going to be a bit of a waste upgrade to jump into to the first line up of CPUS as a gamer when the 3D Cpus (when they come available) will be a lot better performing in games?

Any word on when they might hit after the first cpus drop?

Associate
rumors range:
7800X3D could release before end of 2022
or, if Raptor Lake doesn't have a big advantage, could wait until Meteor Lake.

I could wait easily until end of 2022. im still on a 3800x, but i think i will still see a huge upgrade with GPU from my 5700xt since i will be getting the next gen when they arrive.

Soldato
But these are no low end chips. Low(ish) core count yes, but performance wise you can expect even a 6 core Zen4 to be faster than most/all current gen CPUs.
DDR5 still comes with premium and AM5 motherboards will be much more expensive than AM4 too.
You pay that premium to get top of the line gaming performance, not "low end"

When things put that way, 16 cores with 5.7-5.8 GHz boost... 7950X starts to look like a bargain to me...
So anyone wanting more budget friendly parts on a new platform are priced out and if they want to go with AMD they are forced to buy a 3 year old CPU arc?.

Associate
So anyone wanting more budget friendly parts on a new platform are priced out and if they want to go with AMD they are forced to buy a 3 year old CPU arc?.
This is nothing new
Intel is also doing a staggered release of K models first, other SKUs later.
And to be fair, the "budget" parts like Ryzen 5600 are not obsolete. Combo with B550 motherboard and DDR4 can't be beat pricewise on AM5.

And for those that really want to touch the Zen 4 magic on the budget, 6 core 7600X is a perfect CPU. Just stay away from $400+ motherboards.

Soldato
I see the hysteria and hyperbole is already setting in from the usual people based on a few price leaks. I get the feeling these are the people that read the Daily Fail (or just the headlines) and run with with the whole story as true. :cry:

Don
I see no point in x670, especially now when Pcie 5.0 devices are not common.
Depends how long you plan on keeping it - with AM5 supposedly having a planned 5 year lifespan like AM4, PCI-E 5.0 could become relevant.

Exactly the same as every Intel launch ever - "Halo" parts (12900K) and upper-midrange parts (12600K/12700K) launched first (Q4 '21), with almost every other lower end part (e.g. 12600, 12500, 12300, 12100, G7400, G6900) launching Q1 '22 - potentially up to 6 months later.

Soldato
based on https://www.techpowerup.com/297805/msi-x670-motherboards-listed-for-sale-from-315-usd
x670e territory starts from 400, but x670 start at 300

I see no point in x670, especially now when Pcie 5.0 devices are not common.
If I was going Zen4, would pair it with top of the line B650. But they are holding its release back so that early buyers all go for the expensive model.
or the socket support could be long lasting like AM4 and could drop in gen5 devices in the future

Soldato
I've been saying for months, can't see how AMD can compete with a 13th gen i5, cheap Z690 board and DDR4, for the mainstream builds.
Lots of people will opt for B650 motherboards, which will still have everything people need, except for people who want PCIE5 for graphics cards, who will probably be willing to pay more.

Unfortunately, looks like very few will be getting USB4 boards, whether they choose an AMD or Intel build... Even the top boards have only got 2 USB4 ports anyway, from what I've seen so far.

Soldato
I'd wager a fiver saying that B650E is not a thing. What exactly would constitute a B650E that differentiates it from a X670? You could use a 2nd chipset to certify more PCIe Gen 5 SSDs, but then why bother getting X670?
Yes, that's what I was thinking too.

Rumour mill has got confused again most likely, or made assumptions that because there's a x670E, there must also be a B650E.

Maybe there will be some B650 boards on launch or by October, but AMD certainly doesn't want to talk about them before then.

Soldato
made assumptions that because there's a x670E, there must also be a B650E.
It's a perfectly sound theory given how the tech industry will stagger their offerings. AMD use chiplet designs for CPUs so they can mix and match to make whatever SKUs they need, with varying capabilities. It's logical to assume that a chiplet design for the motherboard chipset would allow similar granular segmentation. Mix and match one or two chiplet dies to create any combination of multiple GPU slots, multiple SSD points, boatloads of IO, and then segment (and price) accordingly.

But, of course, since there's no actual information right now on what AMD is going to do, you gotta get them clicks by just superficially saying "well, of course there's a B650E because there's a X670E" without actually analysing what such chipset combinations would offer, and how they overlap. That's what speculation is supposed to be.

Soldato
Lots of people will opt for B650 motherboards, which will still have everything people need, except for people who want PCIE5 for graphics cards, who will probably be willing to pay more.

Unfortunately, looks like very few will be getting USB4 boards, whether they choose an AMD or Intel build... Even the top boards have only got 2 USB4 ports anyway, from what I've seen so far.

B650 prices are set to be much more than their AM4 counterparts, plus doesn't negate the need for expensive DDR5. As I mentioned in the post you quoted - just can't see how this will compete with 13th gen i5, z690 board and cheapo ddr4 in price/performance.

Soldato
But, of course, since there's no actual information right now on what AMD is going to do, you gotta get them clicks by just superficially saying "well, of course there's a B650E because there's a X670E" without actually analysing what such chipset combinations would offer, and how they overlap. That's what speculation is supposed to be.

ASRock showed their list of upcoming boards with the B650E in that list, several SKU's actually. Also the B650E makes a lot more sense for Mini-ITX, as you can't use X670E features due to the physical size, but there is a market for a better board with PCI-E 5.0 support on both 16x slot and M.2's

Soldato
B650 prices are set to be much more than their AM4 counterparts, plus doesn't negate the need for expensive DDR5.

Except you can get 16GB of DDR5 5200 for the huge cost of £71.xx now, and it is dropping almost daily. The B650 target is ~£100 for an entry level board, but obviously you'll argue against that as it isn't branded Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom