• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

TIME FOR ANOTHER 6900 XT DEAL? I THINK SO! *PRE-ORDER SPECIAL* PLUS SOME OTHER AMD DEALS!

Associate
Received this card on Monday after purchasing a Gigabyte M28U 4k monitor last week, so a decent upgrade from a 2070s and 1920 x 1200 monitor for £1100. Currently running on a Corsair RM850X so hopefully that will suffice, planning to run the three 8 pin connectors to separate Pci-e connectors on PSU. Will only get chance to fit the GPU on Friday so hopefully all goes well.
it should be fine, think the main reason they want way higher than the system is likely to pull is so the spikes dont knock your system offline

OcUK Staff
OP
Some things to try.
Load BIOS defaults and ensure no components are overclocked.
If the GPU has a BIOS switch set it to the quiet mode.

Disconnect fans.

Now see if it’s any more stable at booting.

Associate
Mine arrives today, and weirdly my old W6600 has started crashing frequently same day! I was considering return to sender as I didn't really need it.. but now i do so..... :)
I'll do a before & after benchmark !

Associate
You can still get 6900xt cards for sub £700, just not as good as this card. Hopefully more price drops from other manufactures coming soon to clear stock.

Soldato
then you go 150 more for an xtx, oh no now 100+ more for a aib xtx! :D where does it end? :p

Ah I know, it’s a slippery slope. Just think at that price, when you can get a XT for 899 which outperforms it, had better RT, newer architecture, more vram…I know which one I would go for :)

Associate
Some things to try.
Load BIOS defaults and ensure no components are overclocked.
If the GPU has a BIOS switch set it to the quiet mode.

Disconnect fans.

Now see if it’s any more stable at booting.

edit semi solved-posted in haste

Mine arrived yesterday. I also purchased a new 1000W PSU to replace my 750w.

In short when loading a game the card makes a weird noise like someone quietly scratching a piece of cardboard or a quiet old internet dial up. When entering the game it crashes immediately. (various games tried)

BIOS updated, new drivers after using DDU in safe mode to get rid of the old (done twice). 3 x 8 in connectors are running separately to the PSU. There is a BIOS button on the card that I have tried in both directions - no joy.

Any idea what the noise could be ? The noise stops and starts as the game loads, then crashes. GPU Z showing all good at idle, temps normal etc.

I'd rather sort than send back as I suspect I won't see anything again this side of Xmas.

i59600k , Gigabyte Z390 mobo, Gigabyte 1000w power supply.

Cheers

######Edit......I've started from scratch..GPU and new PSU out....vipers nest of cables re seated...arrrgggghhh .now running..///my error just the noise now

Last edited:
Soldato
Mine arrived yesterday. I also purchased a new 1000W PSU to replace my 750w.

In short when loading a game the card makes a weird noise like someone quietly scratching a piece of cardboard or a quiet old internet dial up. When entering the game it crashes immediately. (various games tried)

BIOS updated, new drivers after using DDU in safe mode to get rid of the old (done twice). 3 x 8 in connectors are running separately to the PSU. There is a BIOS button on the card that I have tried in both directions - no joy.

Any idea what the noise could be ? The noise stops and starts as the game loads, then crashes. GPU Z showing all good at idle, temps normal etc.

I'd rather sort than send back as I suspect I won't see anything again this side of Xmas.

i59600k , Gigabyte Z390 mobo, Gigabyte 1000w power supply.

Cheers

The noise you heard is coilwhine, I bought this card too and high fps it will make a lot of coilwhine but most high end cards do now. Something you gotta expect sadly. As for the crashing I suggest you turn off windows 11 auto update as it will over ride the drivers you install, mines is working fine. Some issues but that’s typical for amd drivers sadly.

Associate
Still Msrp for 2 year technology (not specifically this card but pretty much 6800xt/6900xt/rtx3080/rtx3070/rtx3060)

Last card I got was gtx980ti (zotac omega) for £340 brand new after gtx1080 came out. Remember those good old days when new cards came out, the old cards reduced. What a farce the whole market is. Even after crypto crashes its clear nvidia and AMD don't want the rip off party to end....whinge...whine..grumble..bah humbug

Soldato
Still Msrp for 2 year technology (not specifically this card but pretty much 6800xt/6900xt/rtx3080/rtx3070/rtx3060)

Last card I got was gtx980ti (zotac omega) for £340 brand new after gtx1080 came out. Remember those good old days when new cards came out, the old cards reduced. What a farce the whole market is. Even after crypto crashes its clear nvidia and AMD don't want the rip off party to end....whinge...whine..grumble..bah humbug

In a nutshell this it, there's only bad deals, and comparatively worse deals. For people at the low-end I think it's probably even worse, totally priced out. What a crap show.

Associate
Yeah I'm not sure given the current prices of the current cards how the rtx4060 & rtx4070 are not gonna be around £600 & £800 respectfully. And that rtx4060 ain't gonna be any faster than a rtx3080 which you were meant to get for that price 2 years ago.

£600 for a 60 card! Incredible. These prices need to come down. What is available to the masses/lower end? O wells, night x

OcUK Staff
OP
Yeah I'm not sure given the current prices of the current cards how the rtx4060 & rtx4070 are not gonna be around £600 & £800 respectfully. And that rtx4060 ain't gonna be any faster than a rtx3080 which you were meant to get for that price 2 years ago.

£600 for a 60 card! Incredible. These prices need to come down. What is available to the masses/lower end? O wells, night x

AMD 6500 XT sub £200 ! The card this forum slammed but we’ve sold thousands now as it’s actually a very capable 1080P card.

Best value though is the RX 6600 as it’s actually quite powerful !

Associate

XBX. PS5.

Soldato
then you go 150 more for an xtx, oh no now 100+ more for a aib xtx! :D where does it end? :p

Thats true but my worry for spending £750 on a previous gen card would be the current gen cards dropping in price. I wouldn't be surprised if the 7900xt prices dropped in the new year. They don't seem to be selling so well but I'd much prefer a 7900xt over a 6900xt

Back
Top Bottom