****The Official 5G Home Broadband Thread**** (Three/EE/Vodafone/etc)

Associate
Hello all.

Recently purchased the new 5G hub from three, as you all already know there customer service is rubbish!

Had problems when it turned up,was on the b10 firmware n 5G wouldn’t work.
Luckily I took the sim out and reset the hub. And then the hub updated to b12 and now I’m getting speeds of 100-400mbps consistently 95% of the time.

But the problem I’m now facing is the hubs advanced settings. I’ve tried playing around with them to optimise my devices connected. (Xbox series x/ smart home etc) but can’t for the life of me get ipv6 working and the correct mtu

Currently on ipv4/ MTU 1360

If anyone has any tips they could share that will help me out I’d appreciate it

Soldato
Hello all.

Recently purchased the new 5G hub from three, as you all already know there customer service is rubbish!

Had problems when it turned up,was on the b10 firmware n 5G wouldn’t work.
Luckily I took the sim out and reset the hub. And then the hub updated to b12 and now I’m getting speeds of 100-400mbps consistently 95% of the time.

But the problem I’m now facing is the hubs advanced settings. I’ve tried playing around with them to optimise my devices connected. (Xbox series x/ smart home etc) but can’t for the life of me get ipv6 working and the correct mtu

Currently on ipv4/ MTU 1360

If anyone has any tips they could share that will help me out I’d appreciate it

Can't you select ipv6 in apn settings? Assuming it's the Zyxel router?

Last edited:
Soldato
Very much so, but it would be nice to have a bit of future proofing.
Totally agree. You seem to be able to put it to good use. :) I'll still end up getting one no doubt haha. I'd use it for the Primary WAN (EE) and I'd keep the current/older 7101 for the Secondary WAN (Smarty). The 7101 has two SIM slots but sadly doesn't do any sort of automated aggregation or automatic failover. Which is shame - seems like a missed opportunity.

Associate
Can't you select ipv6 in apn settings? Assuming it's the Zyxel router?
Tried that mate, but it just reverts itself back to dual stack or just ipv4,

Now I’m also having the issue we’re the hub has now decided it doesn’t want to connect to 5G I was getting speeds of 250-600 mbps and since this morning it’s stayed on 4G+ with its peak download of 35mbps now at a stable 4mbps?.
Tried resetting hub etc, but no joy.

Soldato

Now I’m also having the issue we’re the hub has now decided it doesn’t want to connect to 5G I was getting speeds of 250-600 mbps and since this morning it’s stayed on 4G+ with its peak download of 35mbps now at a stable 4mbps?.
What's the apn you're using?

Associate
Reading that you would think that is workable for 4G/5G as the spectrum range fits. I have a Solwise Directional Antenna (5G-XPL-A0002) just sitting here if you want to try it? I can post it down and if no good just send it back to me. It has 5m SMA cable, but I also have two TS-9 adapters that I can add on for you. Let me know. If it works, great we can work something out. :)

Poynting-4.jpg
How much was one of these mate? Was thinking of getting one due to drops in connection

Soldato

Is the ISP doing any work in the area or on the mast you connect to for 5G? Might explain why it has reverted to 4G/4G+? My EE connection dropped on the Primary WAN the other day and I haven't checked to see if it is back, so I'm on my failover WAN at the minute with Smarty. Might be something similar here?

Associate
Is the ISP doing any work in the area or on the mast you connect to for 5G? Might explain why it has reverted to 4G/4G+? My EE connection dropped on the Primary WAN the other day and I haven't checked to see if it is back, so I'm on my failover WAN at the minute with Smarty. Might be something similar here?
I did type my postcode into the checker and it did say they were carrying out maintenance, but how much can you trust there word lol.. just frustrating as I’ve had the hun roughly a month now and only had 5g for a few days before it switched back to 4g+.. now my speeds are no higher than 10mbps? Just frustrating

Man of Honour
Help for my Brother in Law please.
He's recently had the Three Hub.

1) In the kitchen he gets a download of 750meg + download, in the living room 550meg +.
2) The router is in the living room and many years ago he bought a WiFi Extender for Talk Talk and put it in the kitchen, this only gets 30 meg download from the Three router.
3) He has an ethernet cable that goes in the router all the way to the kitchen which is currently plugged into a Firestick with an ethernet adapter.
4) We did try the WiFi Extender with the ethernet cable thinking we would now get a very fast WiFi but it didn't.

Is there a much better WiFi Extender he can plug the ethernet cable into that will give him a very fast WiFi in the kitchen?
Or perhaps he needs one of these devices that uses his electricity cables!
Somebody must already be doing this.

Soldato
Could anyone recommend an alternative to a CPE Pro 2 as it seems to be having the same problem every day now of slowing down to terrible speeds until I reboot it. I just did a speed test via ethernet and I was getting 14mb. Rebooted it and I'm getting 330mb. It seems to happen multiple times a day and I've had enough now so looking for alternative hardware.

Any recommendations are welcome, it must be able to use an external antenna and I'm not fussed about WiFi as I hardware it to a media cupboard where I have an Asus mesh setup and cat5 around the house.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Help for my Brother in Law please.
He's recently had the Three Hub.

1) In the kitchen he gets a download of 750meg + download, in the living room 550meg +.
2) The router is in the living room and many years ago he bought a WiFi Extender for Talk Talk and put it in the kitchen, this only gets 30 meg download from the Three router.
3) He has an ethernet cable that goes in the router all the way to the kitchen which is currently plugged into a Firestick with an ethernet adapter.
4) We did try the WiFi Extender with the ethernet cable thinking we would now get a very fast WiFi but it didn't.

Is there a much better WiFi Extender he can plug the ethernet cable into that will give him a very fast WiFi in the kitchen?
Or perhaps he needs one of these devices that uses his electricity cables!
Somebody must already be doing this.

I can't believe this question can't be answered!
Surely somebody must be going from their 5G Router via ethernet cable to a transmitter elsewhere in the house?

Soldato
I can't believe this question can't be answered!
Surely somebody must be going from their 5G Router via ethernet cable to a transmitter elsewhere in the house?

Yes, but every situation is different so a solution that works for one person in one place may not work for another in a different place.
The issues are sounding like they are internal network related to wi-fi/powerline adapters, and unrelated to the supplier of the actual incoming WAN connection, perhaps post a dedicated thread to ask a wider audience who may not visit this thread based on the very specific topic it covers.

Back
Top Bottom