• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday/cyber Monday - what would count as worth buying?

Associate
there is a used market that gives you far better value, you sure your not suffering FOMO here :p theres always a choice, your not being forced to buy a new over priced card;)
I might buy used next time when I upgrade actually. But “New” is a bit overpriced for various reasons- some people just want “New” :)

Last edited:
Associate
I went with the 7800xt nitro deal as an upgrade on my vega64. I did consider a 7900xt but running a 5800x3d on an old ax370 motherboard and 1440p monitor that tops out at 75Hz i thought this would do me for several years more. Install next weekend, I hope they play nice together.

Associate
A bog standard 7800xt, which is more or less a slight refresh of a 3 year old card for £475? Buying that would make me feel bad.

I wanted an upgrade for my 3060ti but there is no card that wouldn't make me feel like I got ripped off.

Instead took that £475 and got an OLED 512GB Steam Deck.
You’ll have to wait a while then as the next gen is 2025 and you have to hope they don’t just do what they did this gen.

Associate
A bog standard 7800xt, which is more or less a slight refresh of a 3 year old card for £475? Buying that would make me feel bad.

I wanted an upgrade for my 3060ti but there is no card that wouldn't make me feel like I got ripped off.

Instead took that £475 and got an OLED 512GB Steam Deck.
How is getting a steam deck not getting ripped off?- RDNA2 apu that’s 3 years old rehashed in a handheld device that has problems playing AAA games?

Last edited:
Associate
You’ll have to wait a while then as the next gen is 2025 and you have to hope they don’t just do what they did this gen.

The best games I played this year were Tears of the Kingdom and Risk of Rain Returns, both of which can run easily on my 3060ti and will be able to run on a Steam Deck.

If next gen GPU's are just as bad value for money then I will just continue to play games on Steam Deck and my 3060ti. I am looking for double the performance of the 3060ti for no more than £400 before I upgrade.

Caporegime
If next gen GPU's are just as bad value for money then I will just continue to play games on Steam Deck and my 3060ti. I am looking for double the performance of the 3060ti for no more than £400 before I upgrade.
Tbf it's not like the 3060Ti is a bad card, you'll just need to tune settings on some stuff but still be more than playable for a good while :)

Associate
How is getting a steam deck not getting ripped off?- RDNA2 apu that’s 3 years old rehashed in a handheld device that has problems playing AAA games?

Are you seriously suggesting that a handheld computer with a 90hz HDR OLED screen, a fairly capable SOC, 512GB SSD, built in gamepad, two touch pads, 16GB RAM, battery, speakers, carry case, supported with regular updates is bad value at £475? Paying £475 for all that is getting ripped off? I wouldn't be surprised if Valve make a loss on each one sold.

Do you actually think that paying £475 for a basic 7800xt is a good deal? In an alternative reality where we didn't have the pandemic with all the scalping and chip shortages which showed nVidia, AMD and the retailer's how much mugs where willing to pay for GPU's, a 7800xt would probably be selling closer to £350.

There is no good value in Graphics cards anymore.

Last edited:
Associate
Are you seriously suggesting that a handheld computer with a 90hz HDR OLED screen, a fairly capable SOC, 512GB SSD, built in gamepad, two touch pads, 16GB RAM, battery, speakers, carry case, supported with regular updates is bad value at £475? Paying £475 for all that is getting ripped off? I wouldn't be surprised if Valve make a loss on each one sold.

Do you actually think that paying £475 for a basic 7800xt is a good deal? In an alternative reality where we didn't have the pandemic with all the scalping and chip shortages which showed nVidia, AMD and the retailer's how much mugs where willing to pay for GPU's, a 7800xt would probably be selling closer to £350.

A 7800xt allows you to do so much more having a functional PC vs handheld. Each has its merits. Please don’t demean others’ purchase decisions to justify your purchase.

Last edited:
Associate
Tbf it's not like the 3060Ti is a bad card, you'll just need to tune settings on some stuff but still be more than playable for a good while :)

Exactly. At 1440p my 3060ti will still play all the new releases for at least the next 5 years. Unless you are rich, chasing Ultra settings is a mugs game unless AMD and nVidia start offering value for money GPU's.

Associate

£475 is a good deal (please evidence any better deal out there in the gpu market?) considering how capable a 4070/7800xt tier class card is at 1440p. Allowing console level gaming and more on PC.

Last edited:
Associate
A 7800xt allows you to do so much more having a functional PC vs handheld. Each has its merits. Please don’t demean others’ purchase decisions to justify your purchase.

You don't need to have a 7800xt to have a functional PC. A Steam Deck is a functional PC. If you are paying £475 for a basic 7800xt you are being ripped off. It is as simple as that.

Associate
You don't need to have a 7800xt to have a functional PC. A Steam Deck is a functional PC. If you are paying £475 for a basic 7800xt you are being ripped off. It is as simple as that.
I beg to differ.

Getting a locked in handheld without ability to modify/upgrade is not such a great future proof deal.

That handheld will be ewaste within 2-3 years I reckon.

Anyone who buys a gpu now will still be able to sell that for 50% value in 2-3 years. A handheld will hold no such value.

Last edited:
Associate
£475 is a good deal (please evidence any better deal out there in the gpu market?) considering how capable a 4070/7800xt tier class card is at 1440p. Allowing console level gaming and more on PC.

A 7800XT doesn't allow console level gaming. It doesn't do anything at all on it's own. You still need the rest of a PC. Console level gaming costs £390 for a PS5 and a game.

A 7800xt is a rip of at £475. It should be no more than £350.

Associate
A 7800XT doesn't allow console level gaming. It doesn't do anything at all on it's own. You still need the rest of a PC. Console level gaming costs £390 for a PS5 and a game.

A 7800xt is a rip of at £475. It should be no more than £350.
Okay mate don’t worry you keep thinking that (and let Gibbo/OCUK know as well-so they can readjust their business strategy accordingly :D)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom