• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday/cyber Monday - what would count as worth buying?

Associate
I beg to differ.

Getting a locked in handheld without ability to modify/upgrade is not such a great future proof deal.

That handheld will be ewaste within 2-3 years I reckon.

Anyone who buys a gpu now will still be able to sell that for 50% value in 2-3 years. A handheld will hold no such value.

Gameboys are ewaste are they?

Used LCD Steam Decks are still going for over £200 in the members market.

Associate
Okay mate don’t worry you keep thinking that (and let Gibbo know as well :D)

I will.

I don't blame anyone for buying a GPU in 2023. Just don't kid yourself that paying £475 for a mid range one is a good deal or that it is value for money. You are being milked hard by the retailers and the manufacturer's.

Quite frankly I am surprised at how many people here seem keen to defend these prices. You must all have paid even more for your 7800xt's and 4070's!

Associate
I will.

I don't blame anyone for buying a GPU in 2023. Just don't kid yourself that paying £475 for a mid range one is a good deal or that it is value for money. You are being milked hard by the retailers and the manufacturer's.

Quite frankly I am surprised at how many people here seem keen to defend these prices. You must all have paid even more for your 7800xt's and 4070's!

quote-when-we-die-the-money-we-can-t-keep-but-we-probably-spend-it-all-cause-the-pain-ain-kanye-west-64-85-13.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
A steam deck might sound good, especially with an OLED, but one cannot call it a PC experience. C'mon, the expectations have to be tempered way too much for my liking to even run the thing.

It is a PC. How can it not offer a PC experience? That doesn't make sense.

If you get a dock for it, it is a very capable PC. If you don't like the Linux desktop you can install Windows 11 (or any other operating system).

Last edited:
Associate
It is a PC. How can it not offer a PC experience? That doesn't make sense.

If you get a dock for it, it is a very capable PC. If you don't like the Linux desktop you can install Windows 11 (or any other operating system).
Fair enough.

For me though. I'd the actual components, sitting in a case; each of those components replaceable and tuneable.

Associate
I will.

I mean still 7800xt is the best purchase at the moment, wouldn't call it a rip off at 475 just an ok deal given horrible market conditions.
Look at the 4070 ti at 750 though, now that is one fascinating option with 12vram (selling fast!!! xD).

Associate
I mean still 7800xt is the best purchase at the moment, wouldn't call it a rip off at 475 just an ok deal given horrible market conditions.
Look at the 4070 ti at 750 though, now that is one fascinating option with 12vram (selling fast!!! xD).
It's wild. It's like people are being starved of oxygen or something. As @Tetras said (not exactly in those words - some paraphrasing and insinuating going on) in another thread; stop buying sh*te products and then we might see some change.

£750 for a cheapest 4070 ti and 12 gig of vram is absurd, IMO.

Associate
It's wild. It's like people are being starved of oxygen or something. As @Tetras said (not exactly in those words - some paraphrasing and insinuating going on) in another thread; stop buying sh*te products and then we might see some change.

Rather have a 7800XT with 16gb vram for £200 less

Associate

It really is wild isn't it.

The 4070ti should have been called a 4070 and be no more than £500.

Even after massively overpaying for these GPU's, most people will be playing on a screen that is of worse quality than that of the £475 OLED Steam Deck. To get a screen of equal quality to pair with the overpriced GPU you need to spend a further £750!!!

Standard sitting at your desk PC gaming is an absolute rip off these days.

The funny thing about this thread is everyone posting here must care about getting some semblance of value for money otherwise they would already have just bought a 4090 and wouldn't even care about Black Friday sales on midrange cards. I have to conclude that anyone on here saying a £475 7800XT is a good deal has probably already bought one!

Associate
It really is wild isn't it.

The 4070ti should have been called a 4070 and be no more than £500.

Even after massively overpaying for these GPU's, most people will be playing on a screen that is of worse quality than that of the £475 OLED Steam Deck. To get a screen of equal quality to pair with the overpriced GPU you need to spend a further £750!!!

Standard sitting at your desk PC gaming is an absolute rip off these days.

The funny thing about this thread is everyone posting here must care about getting some semblance of value for money otherwise they would already have just bought a 4090 and wouldn't even care about Black Friday sales on midrange cards. I have to conclude that anyone on here saying a £475 7800XT is a good deal has probably already bought one!
Please be respectful of peoples’ differing purchasing decisions!

What works for you doesn’t automatically mean it works for others.

Last edited:
Associate
I am not allowed to say that I think a £475 7800XT is a rip off in case I upset your feelings?
I think that may be classified as trolling in a PC parts forum where people buy parts based on affordability and performance and have the right to purchase what they like (also the right to not being made to feel bad for it).

We are all gaming enthusiasts let’s all make it a nice community.

Last edited:
Associate
I was tempted to upgrade my 3070 to a 7900xt but the pricing seems higher than it was in the summer.

Comparatively, in the last year i've bought a Series X, PS5 and 55" Oled for less than the price of a FE 4090. It makes it very difficult to justify pc vs console.

Associate
I think that may be classified as trolling in a PC parts forum where people buy parts based on affordability and performance and have the right to purchase what they like.

Please don't think I am personally attacking you and your purchasing decisions. If you think you paid a fair price for your 7800XT then that's great. I am just trying to make people who are thinking about buying one of these overpriced parts, consider that for the same price you can buy a whole PC, controller and OLED screen.

Sure comparing the Steam Deck to a GPU is not apples to apples, but it is certainly an alternative.

A question any prospective buyer should ask themselves is "will paying £475 for a GPU with the performance of a 3 year old card make me feel good?"

I asked myself this question and I had to answer no. I would be paying £475 to go from about 60FPS to 90/100FPS. It would be better but not by that much.

With the Steam Deck I will get the fun of tinkering with it as well as playing games. I know not everyone likes tinkering but it makes it way more interesting long term than just pulling out the old GPU and slotting in the new then watching the number in the corner go up a bit higher.

Last edited:
Associate
Please don't think I am personally attacking you and your purchasing decisions. If you think you paid a fair price for your 7800XT then that's great. I am just trying to make people who are thinking about buying one of these overpriced parts, consider that for the same price you can buy a whole PC, controller and OLED screen.

Sure comparing the Steam Deck to a GPU is not apples to apples, but it is certainly an alternative.

A question any prospective buyer should ask themselves is "will paying £475 for a GPU with the performance of a 3 year old card make me feel good?"

I asked myself this question and I had to answer no. I would be paying £475 to go from about 60FPS to 90/100FPS. It would be better but not by that much.

With the Steam Deck I will get the fun of tinkering with it as well as playing games. I know not everyone likes tinkering but it makes it way more interesting long term than just pulling out the old GPU and slotting in the new then watching the number in the corner go up a bit higher.
Fair enough :)I may very well buy a handheld when my current card isn’t up to it and cards are still way overpriced.

Associate
I’ve seen a 2tb SN850X for £109.

That’s a bargain.
Bought. Ordered yesterday and arrived today. The 1TB version at £65 is also tempting, went out of stock though.

Also seen 750W modular Corsair PSU for £80 same place that was sold out too. £20 cheaper than a SeaSonic I was looking to buy.

GPUs don't have any decent deals. Not seen 7900XT at <=£700 like before. Closest we have are the Sapphire deals on 7800XTs here.
And considering that 7800XT seems to mostly be a rebadged 6800XT for similar price/performance, makes one realise how bad things are both with and without discounts.

Back
Top Bottom