• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black Friday/cyber Monday - what would count as worth buying?

Soldato
I beg to differ.

Getting a locked in handheld without ability to modify/upgrade is not such a great future proof deal.

That handheld will be ewaste within 2-3 years I reckon.

Anyone who buys a gpu now will still be able to sell that for 50% value in 2-3 years. A handheld will hold no such value.

They are not "locked in", you clearly have not done your homework on the new handhelds and what they really are capable of doing. You can even side load games from other gaming platforms on the steamdeck and install windows on it too, also the steam os even has a full OS desktop so can be used as a full pc that way or as said install windows and will become a fully enabled windows pc handheld like the ASUS Rog, Lenovo Legion Go and all the other Chinese brand handheld pcs, huge market in handhelds right now. Go check the Legion Go and Asus Rog Ally and devices like that including the steamdeck what they really can do, also the AMD Z1 Extreme APU in the Ally and Legion Go are very capable cpus/gpus inside that apu and only going to get better on next APU updates coming around the corner too.

I have been looking a lot into a new handheld pc and the one right now that fits the bill for me is the Lenovo Legion Go (use will be not just for gaming mostly but applications that require a lot of cpu cores and a good gpu in a small device) but recently released and stocks are still difficult to get in UK and EU but released the end of October and stock landing in most UK and EU places was set around middle of this month so soon many will be about, the whole PC gaming on a desktop/laptop is heading very quickly to PC handhelds there is huge demand for it and why you are seeing more and more well known companies join in now and more to come for sure, the Chinese handheld brands lead the way at the really high prices as they were niche products and now becoming more normal/realistic prices for the masses to buy eg steamdeck,Asus Rog Ally and Lenovo Legion GO.

Watch how this market gets in the near future even none techies and nerds are all excited by it and want one of these devices or in some cases more than one.. Go youtube a bit about these devices and what you can do with them and I warn you ... You will want one too after it :p . Great devices and most exciting thing that has happened to PC gaming to the masses in decades. Remember I told you when you look back in just a few years and your collection of handheld PCs.

Associate
They are not "locked in", you clearly have not done your homework on the new handhelds and what they really are capable of doing. You can even side load games from other gaming platforms on the steamdeck and install windows on it too, also the steam os even has a full OS desktop so can be used as a full pc that way or as said install windows and will become a fully enabled windows pc handheld like the ASUS Rog, Lenovo Legion Go and all the other Chinese brand handheld pcs, huge market in handhelds right now. Go check the Legion Go and Asus Rog Ally and devices like that including the steamdeck what they really can do, also the AMD Z1 Extreme APU in the Ally and Legion Go are very capable cpus/gpus inside that apu and only going to get better on next APU updates coming around the corner too.

I have been looking a lot into a new handheld pc and the one right now that fits the bill for me is the Lenovo Legion Go (use will be not just for gaming mostly but applications that require a lot of cpu cores and a good gpu in a small device) but recently released and stocks are still difficult to get in UK and EU but released the end of October and stock landing in most UK and EU places was set around middle of this month so soon many will be about, the whole PC gaming on a desktop/laptop is heading very quickly to PC handhelds there is huge demand for it and why you are seeing more and more well known companies join in now and more to come for sure, the Chinese handheld brands lead the way at the really high prices as they were niche products and now becoming more normal/realistic prices for the masses to buy eg steamdeck,Asus Rog Ally and Lenovo Legion GO.

Watch how this market gets in the near future even none techies and nerds are all excited by it and want one of these devices or in some cases more than one.. Go youtube a bit about these devices and what you can do with them and I warn you ... You will want one too after it :p . Great devices and most exciting thing that has happened to PC gaming to the masses in decades. Remember I told you when you look back in just a few years and your collection of handheld PCs.
I’m enlightened with your post and will now consider handhelds in the near future.

Why didn’t it take off before eg PSP etc?

Last edited:
Soldato
Bought. Ordered yesterday and arrived today. The 1TB version at £65 is also tempting, went out of stock though.

Also seen 750W modular Corsair PSU for £80 same place that was sold out too. £20 cheaper than a SeaSonic I was looking to buy.

GPUs don't have any decent deals. Not seen 7900XT at <=£700 like before. Closest we have are the Sapphire deals on 7800XTs here.
And considering that 7800XT seems to mostly be a rebadged 6800XT for similar price/performance, makes one realise how bad things are both with and without discounts.

Only Pc components on deals worth buying are NVME SSDs, everything else is a fake deal or even more expensive than before sadly. Even at the huge retailers online and on the high street.. This BF is a fail unless you need SSD storage ... sadly this is how BF has been going for years or the retailers clearing out the junk they can't sell at a "deal" price but still really overpriced in most cases.

So need SSD storage now is the time to go buy it and also the PS5 deals are very good too and some are if still available come with a game, ps5 disc and two controllers for £399.99 bargain, £40-£60 game included and a £55 controller extra too... Shop around people these are the two things this BF worth considering a PS5 bundle deal and SSD storage and a good time to buy both so you have a nice storage upgrade on your pc or PS5.

Associate
When I bought my 7900XT for £699 with the Starfield bundle in July I felt a bit of guilt for spending so much on a new GPU.

Now, I’m glad I did.
I have to admit I felt the same, as I was planning on buying a 7800xt for my son's build. But I was going to buy Starfield for my self and thought the money I saved on that I would put towards the graphics card. The graphics card is still in it's box since July.

Soldato
I’m enlightened with your post and will now consider handhelds in the near future.

Why didn’t it take off before eg PSP etc?
PSP was huge even with it locked in to Sonys software, the difference is handhelds have always needed a good OS that people use everyday and can use their current software on and windows handhelds were all meeh before unless you had real use for it they were really windows tablets and huge and heavy still but business loved them for certain applications, but not a device the general public wanted (nerds at time did, tiny amount).

These new devices now have a lot of power in the size and weight, prices are massively cheaper and even general public wants them because its a windows PC they know in their hand and they have lots of software from their laptops/desktops so can use right away and not locked into a console platform for example as you can stick whatever game you want and even emulate these consoles on them. The emulation scene has exploded with these devices too. Look into it a bit mate, great devices and only going to get better and better to the point people are now trading their gaming laptops in for them and even some desktop users as they can dock these devices as their main pc now too. I think this is going to be the way of the future for PCs for the general public that don't want or need a desktop/laptop as they can just add a keyboard,mouse and screen and basically a desktop/laptop and can even add external eGPU's for home use if you want more GPU power etc etc .. you get where I'm going with this.. I think these handhelds are what will keep the PC gaming market alive and healthy for the near future till some other big thing happens or the market will evolve into something new, but interesting times for the PC world.

Last edited:
Associate

Half-Life: Alyx - £16.99​

800 Euro for a Fanatec DD2

Even better, I just asked alexa to convert 800 euro to GBP. Seems it is around £700. You have shipping costs to consider too.

Last edited:
Associate
:)PSP was huge even with it locked in to Sonys software, the difference is handhelds have always needed a good OS that people use everyday and can use their current software on and windows handhelds were all meeh before unless you had real use for it they were really windows tablets and huge and heavy still but business loved them for certain applications, but not a device the general public wanted (nerds at time did, tiny amount).

These new devices now have a lot of power in the size and weight, prices are massively cheaper and even general public wants them because its a windows PC they know in their hand and they have lots of software from their laptops/desktops so can use right away no locked into a console platform for example as you can stick whatever game you want and even emulate these consoles on them. The emulation scene has exploded with these devices too. Look into it a bit mate, great devices and only going to get better and better to the point people are now trading their gaming laptops in for them and even some desktop users as they can dock these devices as their main pc now too. I think this is going to be the way of the future for PCs for the general public that don't want or need a desktop/laptop as they can just add a keyboard,mouse and screen and basically a desktop/laptop and can even add external eGPU's for home use if you want more GPU power etc etc .. you get where I'm going with this.. I think these handhelds are what will keep the PC gaming market alive and healthy for the near future till some other big thing happens or the market will evolve into something new but interesting times for the PC world.
Makes me kinda wish I had the funds to have both PC and mobile gaming device. :)

Last edited:
Associate
I don't think £475 for a 7800xt is that bad a deal at all , considering I paid £540 for a 3070ti FE 2 years ago , dont get me wrong we would all like it to be cheaper but unfortunately the way things are with components it's only going one way, and the way Nvidia is going the 5070 will be £800 with 14gb of ram :p

Associate
You should be ok then, let us know how you get on :)
Seeing you are here. Would you recommend an AIO or good air tower for a Ryzen 7900? I'm serverally disabled, paralyzed from neck down, some arm movement. I worreid i can not maintain/service an AIO. My mum's 70 and i think this might be the last build i ask here to do. Was thinking, peerless assasin, graphine, and AM5 cpu holder. Would i see much diferance with an AIO? 420,360 240?

Caporegime
I don't think £475 for a 7800xt is that bad a deal at all , considering I paid £540 for a 3070ti FE 2 years ago , dont get me wrong we would all like it to be cheaper but unfortunately the way things are with components it's only going one way, and the way Nvidia is going the 5070 will be £800 with 14gb of ram :p
It's only "going that way" if we keep buying them at the higher prices.

You can just opt out. I suspect I'll have my 3060ti for a very long time, indeed. Current prices aren't just bad, they're insulting.

Associate
It's only "going that way" if we keep buying them at the higher prices.

You can just opt out. I suspect I'll have my 3060ti for a very long time, indeed. Current prices aren't just bad, they're insulting.

Agreed. The only good value in video game hardware these days is from companies with storefronts, i.e. Nintendo, Steam, Xbox and Sony. They can sell their hardware at close to cost price and try to recoup their money via software sales and subscriptions.

Nvidia and AMD need to make all their profit from the hardware and they like to make a lot of profit.

Associate
Seeing you are here. Would you recommend an AIO or good air tower for a Ryzen 7900? I'm serverally disabled, paralyzed from neck down, some arm movement. I worreid i can not maintain/service an AIO. My mum's 70 and i think this might be the last build i ask here to do. Was thinking, peerless assasin, graphine, and AM5 cpu holder. Would i see much diferance with an AIO? 420,360 240?

I have the Peerless Assassin cooling my Ryzen 5600 and it is amazing for the price. I actually have it set so the fans don't even have to spin at idle. I seem to recall it was one of the easier CPU coolers I have fitted.

Back
Top Bottom