What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
How did you manage that?! My father in law has one of those so need to avoid doing that!
Think it took up a bit of very thin branch / twig which got stuck. Only very spindly stuff. Started smelling of burning, then quickly died.

The paddles were actually easier than I remember as a kid! Though it was one of those job in a job in a job things - to have paddles I first had to cut them from a larger sheet, but to get the larger sheet out I had to move a bunch of stuff, but to move it really required sorting... So I ended up sorting toys and bikes in the garage in order to pick up leaves in the garden :rolleyes:

Soldato
Prepared and fitted insulated plasterboard to window reveal and walls. If anyone’s interested it’s kingspan K118, 37.5mm in the reveal, 62.5mm on the walls.

2 more bits to do tomorrow.

Window reveal top:

You cut it deeper than the depth of the reveal, for the wall boards, 62.5mm, plus some excess wiggle room ~20mm or so.

Same on the sides

Trim the insulation off of the protruding parts leaving just board protruding:

First piece cut around, here you can see the extra wiggle room of the protruding board, will trim it flush later. This job wouldn’t be so bad except for mitring this stuff to the ceiling. Used a track saw, it’s very hard to keep a hand saw at a steady angle through 1.2m of board.

First two awkward bits done. Last two are easy.

And finally here is a little bit of the protruding board I trimmed flush, will give the PU adhesive as long as possible to go off before I trim it finally:

Soldato
Very helpful! Looks great. Will be nice and warm. Did you trim it back with anything special or just a blade/plasterboard saw?
Thanks. No just used an old blunt first fix panel saw. It’s what I use for cutting through the insulated plasterboard too (apart from track saw for the mitred cuts). Don’t use a fancy saw through it, plasterboard dulls the saw quick.

Wow @Mason- that's quite a job. Is it a single skin wall and therefore cold that motivated you to do this?
Thanks. It’s a double brick wall, but solid with no cavity (so no insulation). External wall insulation isn’t really feasible at the moment so going for internal.

Associate
Been helping with destroying a house with a little deforestation closer to home For that last 3 days

Tree pruning during the ten minutes it wasn’t raining
4ejqyVy.jpeg

Installed a temp toilet
3xuaZay.jpeg

Took out a wall
ultBESx.jpeg

Dug out a concrete floor
br8PKnE.jpeg

Soldato
Bit more… last 2 bits in.

Looks worse than it is. The whole boards on the side are tapered edge, whereas the middle bits are cut square edge so looks worse. It’s actually pretty flat, nothing the plasterer can’t sort. Will foam the gaps.

Next part was putting some battens in for the rad.

Marked out where the brackets will be

I cut it out with a pad saw, would have just used the multi tool but they’re loud af and not bank holiday friendly.

5 screws is probably excessive but want it to be solid.

Covered the back with tape to seal it from the wall

Tapped the screw heads with a hammer to mark the wall so I know where to drill for my plugs.

Stopped there, don’t want to hammer drill on a bank holiday, that room is adjacent to the party wall with my neighbours. Hard works done anyway, will hang it tomorrow. Then need to do a bit of plumbing, the rad tails aren’t in the same place as the old one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Prepared and fitted insulated plasterboard to window reveal and walls. If anyone’s interested it’s kingspan K118, 37.5mm in the reveal, 62.5mm on the walls.

2 more bits to do tomorrow.

Window reveal top:

You cut it deeper than the depth of the reveal, for the wall boards, 62.5mm, plus some excess wiggle room ~20mm or so.

Same on the sides

Trim the insulation off of the protruding parts leaving just board protruding:

First piece cut around, here you can see the extra wiggle room of the protruding board, will trim it flush later. This job wouldn’t be so bad except for mitring this stuff to the ceiling. Used a track saw, it’s very hard to keep a hand saw at a steady angle through 1.2m of board.

First two awkward bits done. Last two are easy.

And finally here is a little bit of the protruding board I trimmed flush, will give the PU adhesive as long as possible to go off before I trim it finally:
Is this a solid brick house with no cavity? Have you noticed much of an improvement after adding the insulation?

Soldato
Is this a solid brick house with no cavity? Have you noticed much of an improvement after adding the insulation?
Yeah it is. Too soon to say for this room, was only 2 days ago, and there’s no rad there yet, as well it’s been really mild.

I did another room with it, but only with 37.5mm board all round, and it’s by far the warmest room in the house. Wish I did it in this chunkier stuff, but being honest I was a bit ‘scared’ of doing it. It’s not so bad that’s why I’m using the chunkier stuff now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom