Does a car being towed need insurance?

Permabanned
You can't just 'activate' the braking system on a car. Do you actually have any idea how brakes work on a car?

Yet again you manage to make yourself sound even more silly.

Of course I do. You would have a motor that basically does the job of the foot pedal which could be remotely activated or by cables from one car to the other.

A bit like those remote control cars they have on 5th gear (the full size ones they use for crashes and stuff) but just for the brake pedal.

Obviously this would be totally ridiculous, but that's why I said if you really could be bothered to do it it'd have to be under 750kg to make it worth it so you didn't need breaks. It's still be better to get a trailer though. And that's why I never actually put it forward as a serious proposition.

It wasn't a "joke" as in to make people laugh. It was just a random thing I said which is relevant and true. I hadn't actually thought about how you would physically do it, but it is a legally allowed.

But thanks for more of the personal attacks, I hope you realise there not having an effect though.

Caporegime
I could bolt magnets to both cars which would hold then together and then have a massive fan which would allow the car being towed to hover, this way the wheels don't touch the ground! It's physically possible!

Sometimes silly ideas need to stay in your head rather than spouted out at every random opportunity.

Permabanned
I could bolt magnets to both cars which would hold then together and then have a massive fan which would allow the car being towed to hover, this way the wheels don't touch the ground! It's physically possible!

Sometimes silly ideas need to stay in your head rather than spouted out at every random opportunity.

I don't think that would be possible, there isn't a law that talks about anything like that though, that I know of. :p

I didn't intend to make this a thread about crazy ideas. I just said what the law is. Which is if the car has an A frame it can be counted as a trailer, and thus trailer laws apply to it.

Caporegime
It's not, it's a car with a bit of scaffolding welded to it, the car in question will almost certainly be over 750kg so it renders your whole stupid arguement useless.

Permabanned
It's not, it's a car with a bit of scaffolding welded to it, the car in question will almost certainly be over 750kg so it renders your whole stupid arguement useless.

It's not supposed to useful! It wasn't even an argument for it being a good idea. The law is that if it has an A Frame on it it can be classed a trailer strictly speaking, I have no idea if you'd get away with it, I suspect not. Bottom line is it's possible to do it with cars over and under 750kg (there are a fair amount of cars under 750kg such as Minis (old ones) which are all over the place) but it'd be a lot harder with a car over 750kg.

The only reason I'm arguing this out is because people are trying to use this thread as a way to make me look stupid. To add to the "list" of other apparently stupid threads and posts I've made.

Caporegime
Funny thing is, no one agrees with you so in fact you are saying there's a problem with the whole forum and not you. You've gained a well deserved reputation of being very silly you you're doing a good job of keeping it up and I am very annoyed with myself for wasting my precious bandwidth argueing with a kid with no driving licence who seems to think you can 'wire' car brakes together.

Permabanned
Funny thing is, no one agrees with you so in fact you are saying there's a problem with the whole forum and not you. You've gained a well deserved reputation of being very silly you you're doing a good job of keeping it up and I am very annoyed with myself for wasting my precious bandwidth argueing with a kid with no driving licence who seems to think you can 'wire' car brakes together.

I didn't say that did I. I said you could wire the cars together so that the brakes worked at the same time as each other from one push of the pedal.

I'm not saying there is a problem with the forum at all, I don't get on with a few of the people in the sub section, that's about it though. I think people have got the wrong end of the stick for the most part, and most people here just don't like me anyway and would probably insult me whatever I posted like they do in just about every other thread.

Anyway this is just me and you discussing me, which is boring. So lets draw a line under it now.

Soldato
I didn't say that did I. I said you could wire the cars together so that the brakes worked at the same time as each other from one push of the pedal.

I think its comments like this that aren't doing you any favours. You cannot just 'wire' up cars in this fashion, you are making up ridiculous things just to prove some sort of point you think you have.

No one cares whether it's legal to tow a mini in a bodged up yantorsen way, they need useful advice, something which you have not provided once in this thread.

edit: I wouldn't usually reply to such drivel but it's just so painful to read and quite embarrassing.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I think people should ease up on yantorsen.

Remember, anything is possible with enough time and money, so in that sense he is correct* and he openly admits it was a daft suggestion.

*A frames are totally illegal for transporting a vehicle (ok for emergency recovery though). It doesn't turn a car into a trailer, it just means you have a car with only the front or rear axle on the ground - it's just a car being towed, but illegally. The only way you can tow a car legally is on a bar or a rope, all wheels on the ground with someone in the car to control the brakes and steering. Plus all the associated MOT/Insurance/driving license etc.

What you can get away with is an entirely different discussion though.

Permabanned
I think its comments like this that aren't doing you any favours. You cannot just 'wire' up cars in this fashion, you are making up ridiculous things just to prove some sort of point you think you have.

No one cares whether it's legal to tow a mini in a bodged up yantorsen way, they need useful advice, something which you have not provided once in this thread.

edit: I wouldn't usually reply to such drivel but it's just so painful to read and quite embarrassing.

But people are saying it isn't possible, and calling me a retard for saying it is. But it clearly is possible. But I haven't said anybody should actually do it. The OP got his answer in the first reply. It's fairly obvious that the second part of my post wasn't deadly serious.

Soldato
The OP got his answer in the first reply. It's fairly obvious that the second part of my post wasn't deadly serious.

No, he got the CORRECT answer in the SECOND reply. Also, we don't need people spamming useless drivel in motors, lately it's been bad enough with people trolling. People come in here to get serious answers to their problems and advice, not to get stupid suggestions from people that don't know the subject fully.

Can we please leave it now? This thread has gotten rediculous, as have many others, due to people posting complete tripe. If you know the answer for sure, and have correct proof (ie DVLA / Govt. Motoring) or even real world experience, then fine, try and help, otherwise, press the back button.

Caporegime
O dear, yantorsen is gone. Another day, another dollar! O wait, no we're in the UK where people use normal trailers...

Spamtorsen managed to post 52 times where the next person only posted 18 times. I swear he was just doing it for the post count.

He needs to learn how to
multiquote_off.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom