700D carbon fibre build: Blackbox II

Soldato
OP
just back from pub, drowning my sorrows lol

I couldn't believe it when I put the panel back on, that it was so wrong.

It's because I had measured and marked the MID POINT for the curve, but not its DEPTH relative to the front bezel. In the end I forgot this and took the mid-point mark as also being correct for depth when it never was.

I'll use my clear acrylic for now and save the tinted for later.

I probably could glue the old piece on but a new panel will be easier:)

I think I will need to e-mail corsair as I can't see anywhere in the uk that sells em.

As for the rad issue, I was originally going to end the top of the window with the bottom of the rad. However the rad acts as a nice 'foreground', introducing the eye into the rest of the insides in a step-wise fashion. The 'XSPC' is lit up well from the cathode above and it is a talking point to newbies, 'here is the heatexchanger/radiator etc...'

I'm pretty pleased with my cuts though, was hot, noisy work

Associate
Hi 3t3p very nice build sorry to see the side panel mistake have u thought about spraying the clear acrylic mat black where it shows the hd cages side might be a temporary sollution untill u get a new side panel

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well I am used to it now and having taken the tape off it looks soo much better.

guys when the tinted acrylic is on, surrounded by carbon vinyl, with the pump and GPU block glowing white, surrounded by glowing UV blue tubing, I think you will find it looks fine (i'm hoping) and forget about our turbulent past;)

P1010985.jpg

P1010989.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ta reflux, you'll need to do me a nice sig when she's finished;)

i've yet to braid the aquaero usb wire, mobo/case wires and the two case fan wires.

then it will be icy clean:)

if I had cut the curve at the correct depth, from where I sit on my desk, I wouldn't be able to see the res or the mobo 24pin connector, i.e. not much at all. so am getting more and more used to it...

Soldato
OP
well you've all been supportive, so, i've added some more lighting...

Bitspower 1/4'' crystal lighting stop fitting with white LED, connected to the aquaero (I can adjust brightness, looks nice on 50% as well as 100%, or get it to change intensity to temps:))
P1010993.jpg

P1010996.jpg

P1010997.jpg

P1010994.jpg

ohh my lens is dusty, how do I clean it?!

one UV cathode, I haxed in a small amount (looking at it it's TOO much but heh) of purple on microsoft picture thingy to try to emulate the small amount given off by the cathode that the camera can't detect. the colours are more accurate i'd say now...
P1020001.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well try buying and using real carbon and get back to me on how it went!

I've got the side panel on now:D

Covered in vinyl with the tinted perspex in place.

Photos can't 'get' it at all:(

do people still wanna see?:)

in person it looks...well nice enough that a girl thought it looked nice...

Last edited:
Associate
Love the carbon fibre. Just waiting for someone to use pre-peg and a pressurised customer designed case. That matting will also be quite reflective (I had it in my racing car) so those led's will look really bright.

Soldato
OP
window cut with metal bladed jigsaw, it was soo clean, perfect tool for the job people:
P1020004.jpg

P1020005.jpg

vinyl time:
P1020006.jpg

no more nails 20kg 'blue roll':
P1020007.jpg

stuck down:
P1020008.jpg

this stuff is beast:
P1020009.jpg

hard to get a photo of the window, its very classy IRL:
P1020011.jpg

P1020017.jpg

vinyl on the optical drive:
P1020023.jpg

P1020025.jpg

here she is:
P1020030.jpg

nicer in there now:)

just trialed the pump and GPU LED's, it is going to MAKE this build put it that way :D

more later

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i've got these lights doing a very slow pulse effect, like it's 'intelligent'

in short it looks absolutely sick:D

P1020036.jpg

Associate
Dude that#s look awesome.did you decided to keep that panel?in worst case you can cover drive bays with some pressed ali to the shape.i covered a bottom compartment in my 800d you cant see any cables at all.

Soldato
OP
cheers, I kept the panel as is, cba changing it

trying to acquire light-tinted 2mm acrylic with no luck, as the side door doesn't quite sit flush with the front bezel due to the 3mm stuff being too thick:(

thinking now I need a brighter reservoic LED hooked up to my controller, with three components and the mobo backlighting doing their thing it will look really dynamic in there:)

pre-wired ultra bright white LED ordered from phenoptix, 27p ea or something:D

Last edited:
Associate
You really are very good at the vinyl application mate, awesome job on the optical drive too & very nice cut with the jigsaw dude ;), has some stars :D.

Back
Top Bottom