*Transfer Window 2014/15 Season Rumours/Signings *AKA Man U fans listing every player under the Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I don't recall any transfer windows where so many players have been linked away from one club, plenty of time to get replacements in i suppose but to the current level of those outgoing? Not bloody likely.

Suddenly that joke article about Southampton not having enough players to field a team from a few months back doesn't seem like so much of a joke :p

I think that makes the current players (at least half seriously) rumoured to be leaving:

Lambert, Lallana, Shaw, Lovren, Clyne, Wanyama and Schniederlin.

Osvaldo will likely be going for a pittance to whoever is brave enough too.

I know Southampton have always been a selling club but this window has gone mad, half the league seems to rumoured to be pillaging our squad. Not only that, but most of the reports are written as if we don't have a choice / won't put up a fight to keep anyone, like we're obliged to sell any player that Liverpool or Man U or whoever else tell us they want :/

Soldato
If Saurez bites someone or Sturridge gets injured I think he's a good option to have, but I'd prefer someone a bit better as a 3rd option.

Man C have Aguero, Dzeko, Negredo and Jovetic
Chelsea have Torres, Ba, Eto'o
Manu have Rooney, Persie, Hernandez, Welbeck

We definitely need a decent 3rd option up top and maybe a not so good 4th (get Borini back?)

You can't compare us to City....their spending power dwarves anyone's. Even so Suarez is better then anything they have and Sturridge scored more goals then anyone on that list.

Chelsea? Well they don't have Eto so their forward line is likely to be Costa,Torres and Ba....I'll take ours all day long.

Same with United's.

Suarez,Sturridge, Lambert and Borini is a good selection to choose from..seriously don't get the uproar. Its like people were expecting us to sign a superstar like Benzema for the bench...

Last edited:
Soldato
Any player that leaves to Chelsea/Man U will get a big pay rise. That's a pretty good reason to switch jobs.

All well and good when there is a sporting incentive to go with it (ie they are coming from a much less likely team to win a league) but AM have just won La Liga against the odds and came within seconds of winning the CL final.

Soldato
I know Southampton have always been a selling club but this window has gone mad, half the league seems to rumoured to be pillaging our squad. Not only that, but most of the reports are written as if we don't have a choice / won't put up a fight to keep anyone, like we're obliged to sell any player that Liverpool or Man U or whoever else tell us they want :/

I was thinking about this this morning on the way into work. I can't ever remember a team being picked apart in the media as badly as we have already this summer. Like you say, it's as though we don't have a say in any of the transfers.

Sadly though, I expect whilst we have a lot of say our board are quite keen to get some money back that Ms Liebherr put into the club then look to sell. For our chairman to come out and say there won't be any transactions before a new manager comes in, then less than 24 hours later we have this Lambert story which appears pretty concrete I don't think it bodes well for the rest of the summer.

I think all of us Southampton fans would rather just find a hole in the ground somewhere, live in it for the summer and just see what ended up happening when we come out rather than having to go through the endless rumours of our entire squad moving here there and everywhere every single day...

Associate
as an arsenal fan i have experienced this feeling, year after year. linking our best players with top clubs around europe and dreading every rumour.
fabregas, nasri, rvp, hleb, clichy, henry.... they all seem to go at some point. its just inevitable...
although, after getting two of your brightest prospects, im not sure i can complain too much! :)

Soldato
Arsenal were the closest I could think of. It seemed to be every summer one of their team was the subject of lots of speculation.

For Southampton this summer though it is the entire team. We've had Pochettino, Clyne, Lovren, Fonte (contract), Shaw, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Lallana, Cork (contract), Lambert, Rodriguez, Osvaldo.... I don't think I'm missing anyone? I think we're being bullied by the press! :p

Soldato
The daily express are reporting that Chelsea are offering £18m plus Lukaku for Mehdi Benatia.

Surely this has to be BS? There's no way that Chelsea would be spending effectively £40m on a 27-year old centreback when the Terry-Cahill partnership is working so well - especially with Gallas available as backup. If Chelsea are going to strengthen defensively then surely a defensive midfielder is what they'd be looking for?

fez

fez

Caporegime
If he has a storming World Cup then he may cost more money. Southampton don't necessarily need/want to sell either. I don't have any issue waiting a bit longer but for the sake of a few million I would rather get him. A bigger priority is probably to get rid of some of the deadwood in the squad really.

Soldato
Spurs have also had their fair share of the transfer rumours about a lot of players over the years. The Bale saga raged on for ages, so did the Modric one, then there's Vertonghen always rumoured to be leaving, papers are saying Soldado today, we've had Lloris linked to PSG, Paulinho to Chelsea, Lamella back to Italy somewhere. Go back over the years and Spurs are always rumoured to be selling/letting their best players go and often it's proven true.

So I also share Southampton's woes about an uncertain summer. It's a pretty crap feeling.

Soldato
West Ham wanting to offer 50k a week to nick Colback from Newcastle.

How is that club afloat when they have small attendance and pay insane money? Is their debt level huge?

Colback is a decent player but not worth 50k a week. 40k at a push but more realistically a 30k player.

Soldato
17 goals and 12 assists in 37 matches last season for 4m, Nice bench option :D

Agreed - though I'd raise that this could be a great little deal.

Liverpool played ~43 games last season. Playing 2 strikers, they needed to get 86 games out of Suarez, Sturridge and Aspas. They were probably lucky to do that, and Sturridge played a few games half fit. Aspas nearly contributed nothing.

Next season Liverpool will play more like 60 games in the same space of time, and might need 120 games from their two strikers. Having Sturridge, Suarez, Lambert and Borini gives them a much better chance of doing that. If the latter two play 45 games between them and contribute 20 goals then the team would be very happy.

Lambert plays in a team that plays and similar style and is premier league proven. A much more confident signing than Aspas or Borini over the past two summers. He's happy to sit on the bench for the team he supports, and play a bit of champions league football. If he plays 50 games over two years and scores 20 goals then everyone will be very happy with this deal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom