US: True Detective

Soldato
I thoroughly enjoyed it.
They've created a nice dark atmosphere and introduced the main characters and now the story should start to unfold. Season 1 started slow and just got better with every episode, hopefully season 2 will do the same.

One

One

Soldato
I did once hear that the exec producer credit was there just to make the "talent" who gets it feel more important but it isn't an active role.

There's no way of telling from the title. Sometimes an executive producer is given the title as a favour, sometimes given it because they've helped pay to make the production, sometimes for creative input outside of the usual roles, sometimes just to have a big name in the credits etc. It's pretty much a one size fits all title.

Does anyone know if Mat McConahahe was an exec producer for the first series?

I've heard that what can often happen is a producer will be credit for the season they work on but then they aren't removed from following seasons and even still receive a cut of the pay, not by accident but as part of the contracts.

Soldato
Just can't get in to this series so far. Series 1 had me gripped from the first episode, this just isn't doing it for me. Not sure if it's the weak cast, or the weaker writing. But seriously. How the hell cast Vince Vaughn, he's bloody terrible. When he tries to come across as dangerous and threatening its just laughable. More wooden then Pinocchio.

One

One

Soldato
I don't know. Nothing's happened yet. It's just one murder which is obviously to protect corrupt ties between the local government and whatever 'business associates' are involved. I'll watch the whole series and hope it perks up a bit.

I might potentially be a bit overwhelmed too, there seems to be heaps of sidelines which are not being fully worked.

Caporegime
Weren't expecting that at all.

The problem I find is that when the officials and police are talking together, it rattles along too quickly, using acronyms and language which I'm finding it difficult to keep up with. Just slow the dialogue down for Christ sakes.

Associate
Weren't expecting that at all.

The problem I find is that when the officials and police are talking together, it rattles along too quickly, using acronyms and language which I'm finding it difficult to keep up with. Just slow the dialogue down for Christ sakes.

That was exactly what i thought made it a little bit hard to enjoy

Soldato
***** did i just watch?

I'm guessing it might have been beanbag rounds as I didn't see any blood, but then what would be the point of the second shot? I dont get the point of all that backstory and character development if they are going to kill him off 2 eps in. They hinted at an interesting partnership developing with the chick cop, was interested to see how that panned out. Instead we get a cheap shock tactic for a character that is not yet fully developed, so it doesn't really work anyway. Just feels like the first 2 eps have been mainly a waste of time if he really is dead.

Season 1 was great, but if season 2 is going to rely on crap like this in order to try and live up to the first season I'm not sure I want to waste my time with it. i'll stick with it for now though as I was enjoying it till the end of ep 2.

Associate
It's slowly getting better but still not a patch on the first. Why would a serial killer use non-lethal riot pellets in his shotgun though? Seemed a bit lame, he already shot the other guys bits off with proper shells?

Soldato
I think it is decent TV. The problem is, so far, it doesn't have a patch on season 1.

If this was called something other than "True Detective" I think people would think more of it.

It shouldn't have been called True Detective at all IMO.

Soldato
I really hope this gets better, the story isn't exactly something that brings you in..

TD season 1 was also pretty slow, but what held it together was Harrelson and Mcconaughey, great acting.

Its pretty strange, Season 2 has a good cast sorta but it just seems like a miscast for the roles especially Vince?

Back
Top Bottom