Dashcams!

Associate
So getting a new car in a few months which we will keep for 3.5-4 years and was wondering if it was worth getting a dashcam. Where do i start? What brands should i be looking at?

Soldato
So getting a new car in a few months which we will keep for 3.5-4 years and was wondering if it was worth getting a dashcam. Where do i start? What brands should i be looking at?

At the top end of the dashcam ranges max to spend is £250 on a thinkware f770. Cant recommend them enough bud.

Take a look here: http://thinkwaredashcam.uk/product/thinkware-dash-cam-f770/
The parking surveillance mode alone is worth the extra premium over cheaper models let alone all the other bumpf they are capable of. Don't forget to get the 'hardwired' version if you want to use the parking surveillance mode.

Has anyone attempted to increase the size of the SD card for the Thinkware f770 up to 128GB?

128gb is very difficult to get working with the thinkwares, its do-able but you have to try out sd cards urself as even thinkware say on their site they dont support 128gb at all. I have read of users elsewhere managing to get 128Gb cards working but even then they complained of having to format the card more than default so it's dodgy ground at best bud.

Last edited:
Soldato
Those getting new thinkware cameras - don't forget to update the firmware - latest release is 1.00.03 I believe - oh wait a sec - even I'm out of date lol :)

Grab the latest speed camera data too from the same site, that way its all updated and ready to go from the offset. :) enjoy.

EDIT: Thats wierd! - can't seem to locate the speed camera data files anymore on their site!

Heres some screenies from the android app so you can see what adjustments can be made:

Screenshot_20160907-104312_zpsttaltda6.png

Screenshot_20160907-104349_zpsu88qvqdd.png

Screenshot_20160907-104402_zpsu3nuwtlu.png

Screenshot_20160907-104412_zpszcwqjunx.png

Screenshot_20160907-104424_zpsj29h4we6.png

Screenshot_20160907-104435_zps0nbxjdsn.png

Screenshot_20160907-104453_zpsy9yzuxqa.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks Zoomee, are they the best settings to use ? (assuming your hardwired in)

No bud - it varies according to the car you have and how and where its mounted as to which sensitivity levels are required. Bit of trial and error. Once setup though thats what I love about these thinkwares - theres no need to faff around after initial config.

The F750 in my volvo S60 worked perfectly as it was a lighter car. My newer VW CC however has really heavy doors so stuff like sensitivity for parking mode had to be turned down (it still picks up when the doors are closed though lol!).

Also - i've disabled all the Lane detection and Front Collision stuff as I never use them (Volvo had all that stuff built-in and I never used it).

One more setting to note is what I have set the minimum voltage to - 11.6V is what my auto-electrician recommended for an oil burner (I'm assuming cus they have larger batteries etc). It'll be different (probably lower) for a petrol motor.

EDIT: btw try changing the Security light settings - knight rider mode lol :)

Last edited:
Underboss
thanks mate, is the security light on the inside or so you can see on the outside of the car?

I had a call from thinkware today, there website went funny, and I wasn't the only one who's had problems ordering and...... they are out of stock ! said I might get it tomorrow , latest Monday, as they are waiting for the stock from TNT who have messed up or something, they send out via DPD (good to know!)

had a long conversation with a guy called Ben, seems like a decent chap, and we got chatting about cars and working on cars etc, and I asked him about installation and about RAC..

He said RAC use them (Thinkware UK / Chameleon Group) and said they are all qualified auto electricians, and they will match RAC prices

if anyone wants to know

Soldato
thanks mate, is the security light on the inside or so you can see on the outside of the car?

I had a call from thinkware today, there website went funny, and I wasn't the only one who's had problems ordering and...... they are out of stock ! said I might get it tomorrow , latest Monday, as they are waiting for the stock from TNT who have messed up or something, they send out via DPD (good to know!)

had a long conversation with a guy called Ben, seems like a decent chap, and we got chatting about cars and working on cars etc, and I asked him about installation and about RAC..

He said RAC use them (Thinkware UK / Chameleon Group) and said they are all qualified auto electricians, and they will match RAC prices

if anyone wants to know

Thata the one, Ben! Hes a very helpful bloke.

Theres a small blue led on the rear camera which cant be disabled. The security LED is on the front of the dashcam alerting peeps to its presence.

I have it switched off but the knight rider mode is lolz ;)

Associate
128gb is very difficult to get working with the thinkwares, its do-able but you have to try out sd cards urself as even thinkware say on their site they dont support 128gb at all. I have read of users elsewhere managing to get 128Gb cards working but even then they complained of having to format the card more than default so it's dodgy ground at best bud.

Thanks zoomee for your comments.
I may go with a samsung evo+ as they have been using these on blackboxmycar

Soldato
With regards to wiring it is this correct? Does the camera still need its own power source, or will the relay pass it through? (As this device seems to suggest otherwise).

guz0iNw.jpg

Thanks!

For those interested it work as per the diagram, passes the current through.

Works a treat, I've set the delay to 12 seconds, the countdown starts soon as I turn the electrics on at the ignition, giving me time to wait for the glowplug light on the dash to turn off then crank the engine, after which it switches the camera on.

Strangely the relay switch doesn't lose power when cranking the engine, so it must only be the dashcam that's sensitive to it.

JiCyJPu.jpg

Associate
Bad news is I ordered the wrong right-angle cable from china lol - took 35 days to get here but I quickly realised the camera angle is so messed up its worse than using a straight connector lol.

Good news is I've figured out which Micro-SD cards you can use to upgrade your thinkware dashcams - Transcend Premium 300X has been working a treat this past week. Tis currently on special offer at the tree.

This one:Transcend 64GB Premium MicroSDHC Memory Card Class 10 UHS-I - Black

51V1T4xs9vL._SX90__zpsieggqp7l.jpg

Still working for you? Will pull the trigger if you confirm it's still good :D

Underboss
I've installed my Thinkware F770, well most of it

Wasn't expecting it to tell me what's its doing ! lol

I've put it up behind the mirror, (so just off centre) as I wanted it higher up, routed cable no problem (and I have a tendency to break things I cant DIY to save my life, but this was easy)

installed into a fuse loop wire (still using the Plug & Play lead)
I've not fully tested this cam out yet)

going to be updating the firmware and speed camera database tomorrow

cant play back the videos whilst im in the car as it needs to download a file (and I don't have data on my phone) Zoomee, do you know what this is so I can download it indoors? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom