Xbox Scorpio

Soldato
Interesting to see Devs potentially taking advantage of the extra power in differing ways other than just headline resolution.

http://mspoweruser.com/xbox-one-x-a...ntage-playstation-4-pro-ark-survival-evolved/

“Instead of targeting 30 FPS like on the other consoles, we’re targeting 60 FPS for the Xbox One X. I would say most of the time for PlayStation 4 Pro you would be seeing 30 FPS…at 1080p, whereas with the Xbox One X you’re going to see double the frame rate at 1080p 60 FPS. We might even allow the frame rate to go higher than 60 FPS, but we’re still looking into that. Right now it’s actually uncapped but on a TV…Previously on PlayStation 4 Pro, we had the option to choose between frame rate at 720p 60 FPS and resolution 1080p 30 FPS. We removed it (720p 60 FPS) because it’s a better experience for the users now.”

Soldato
This thing was a year too late. May have had a decision to make 12 months ago, now I just don't see much incentive.

Crackdown 3 and Forza. £450 seems a huge wack for those two.

Was hoping there would be a flurry of 60fps games, but that's been shot down now.

Guess we will just have to wait for the Xbox Two \ PS5 or whatever they might be.

Soldato
I wonder if MS will drop the generations thing and just keep releasing more powerful machines which are more like Steam boxes where everything is forward and backwards compatible. NextBox.

Associate
I wonder if MS will drop the generations thing and just keep releasing more powerful machines which are more like Steam boxes where everything is forward and backwards compatible. NextBox.

Yeah that's what Phil Spencer sorta wants to do, make it more pc like. So now all games will work on all MS consoles. We'll get an xbox two, then an xbox two Pro/Scorpio along with slim versions and it'll go like that from now on.

Associate
I really wanted to get Scorpio and was waiting for this announcement (have £200 gift card from GAME, so need to spend it on something), but had a look again yesterday on Sony games presentation. God of war, Days gone, Spiderman, TLOU 2 (later on). I really want to play those games + Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn. There is nothing I would like to play from Xbox family, from the last few years (and I wanted to give them a chance this time).
I mean comparing Days Gone and State of Decay 2, game on XOX looks like from previous generation.

Spencer is wrong, they need to push more for games (purchase some new studios, invest more in game development with them), not only scifi shooters or games that look like for kids, and every tablet could run them. I mean when they made a deal with CDPR with Witcher 2 and xbox, they could've invested in them, see opportunities, they would have had every few years big AAA release (now it's obviously too late).

Even if you play games that are released for all platforms, you start hearing that there won't be too much advantage on XOX as it all depends from developers and they don't want to push this hardware to its limits. What's the point of selling "true 4k console" if MS can't force them to actually have games in true 4k.

Sorry for the salty post but feel a bit disappointed, games wise (not console, price, hardware, those are fine for me).

Soldato
Yeah that's what Phil Spencer sorta wants to do, make it more pc like. So now all games will work on all MS consoles. We'll get an xbox two, then an xbox two Pro/Scorpio along with slim versions and it'll go like that from now on.

I can see why they did the xbox S and Ps4 PRO versions due to the advantages of 4k and people that own a 4k TV, but if/when most have a 4k TV are people really going to keep upgrading to these better versions just for a slightly more powerful console.

Caporegime
is it worth buying this if you have a 1080p tv ? i really don't want to upgrade the tv yet only a few years old and still under warranty.

Moreso than the PS4 Pro as all the games which have the "native 4k" sticker on will be supersampled down to 1080p for a clearer image. Now that all depends on the games themselves. Some I can immediately see a difference like in Rise of the Tomb Raider but others I can't as in Horizon Zero Dawn.

But at the end of the day is it worth £250 more than the Xbone S. I'd say not. In fact, I'm thinking of selling my PS4 Pro and putting the base PS4 back under the tele. It's gonna be ages before I get a 4K TV.

Soldato
Why are they not available to pre-order yet? they've announced the date and price yet according to a retailer Microsoft being very 'cagey' regarding pre-orders.

Soldato
The console hasn't passed FCC/CE certification yet.

I just read that, apparently pre-orders will come 'later in the year'.

I know it's happened before but quite unusual and disappointing that it wasn't available to pre-order along with the announcement and they waited until after the announcement to seek the approval.

Associate
I can see why they did the xbox S and Ps4 PRO versions due to the advantages of 4k and people that own a 4k TV, but if/when most have a 4k TV are people really going to keep upgrading to these better versions just for a slightly more powerful console.

Aye, I see what you mean. It all depends on when Sony releases their next console. I think we're past the days where both consoles get released around the same time. I hope I'm wrong! But I think Sony has messed up the equilibrium by making the Pro. I'd imagine they will alternate a new console every X amount of years waving the biggest gfx Willy about. That's why I'd imagine they will still release a proper 'new' console every...say 6-8 years and somewhere in the middle release an overclocked Pro/Scorpio.

Associate
I can see merit in that approach, especially in this day-and-age where people are used to buying a slightly upgraded phone or tablet each year, but I still like the idea of there being a big leap in performance every 5-7 years rather than small improvements every 2-3. It definitely generates a lot more buzz and excitement.

I also think multi-player complicates the whole continual compatibility thing. Already it feels like games are being held back at 30fps so there's parity with the original X1 to avoid giving a gameplay advantage on the more powerful console. I'm not sure how true that is however, so it'll be good to see if we do get multi-player focused games with differing framerate performance between consoles in the same family.

Back
Top Bottom