Xbox Scorpio

Soldato
How are you finding the OLED for Image Retention? IR and some reported motion issues are the only things stopping me from buying one. Coming from a VT65 I am extremely fussy... :(

LG OLEDs from 2016 and 2017 are perfect. I'm super picky about Image Quality and i can't fault my LG OLED at all

Soldato
How are you finding the OLED for Image Retention? IR and some reported motion issues are the only things stopping me from buying one. Coming from a VT65 I am extremely fussy... :(

Image rentention no problem for me and not noticed any motion problems, I turn off all processing junk mind you.

I had a Sony w905 before which was considered a very good gaming tv and I've not noticed any difference with game lag.

V F

V F

Soldato
Early reports exactly what I expected and said Microsoft would NOT be able to do a native 4k consol for all games unless it had a 1080 or 1080ti, in defence there is nothing wrong with the checkerboard technique just look at horizon zero dawn just stunning however considering ms claimed true 4k just laughable really

Well what does one expect. Marketing is always usually horse manure. It is to hype and sell.

Caporegime
I honestly believed it. After what I'd read on Digital Foundry which was basically them saying that any game than runs at 900p or 1080p on Xbox One will run at native 4K on XB1X with the same settings and framerate. So why has that all gone boobs up now?

Soldato
Well what does one expect. Marketing is always usually horse manure. It is to hype and sell.

You can still try be honest can you Not? Sony told truth about ps4 pro on it's conference when it was announced they showed checkerboard technique etc.

It just looks poor that after all this time of ms claiming true 4k etc ...its not and they use that line to bash ps4 pro.

I understand tech so it was to me and most others here they could never deliver 4k sub £500

Soldato
I honestly believed it. After what I'd read on Digital Foundry which was basically them saying that any game than runs at 900p or 1080p on Xbox One will run at native 4K on XB1X with the same settings and framerate. So why has that all gone boobs up now?
Price it's just not possible to do it for £500, a pc graphics card that can do 4k true native Is over £600 alone.

That's my theory anyway, if Microsoft did put out the consol at £700 it just wouldn't sell for them.

I'm sure the Xbox one x will do some games at native 4k will depend on the game but I doubt you'll see any big aaa titles at native they will all likely use the checkerboard technique which whilst not native it is still as pretty imo.

Soldato
If anyone really did believe it would be native 4K for high end graphical games, they really aren't living in the real world. 6 TFLOPS is like 1060 /980ti power and I have a 980ti and most of the new titles run 1440 60fps but crank up to 4K and my card really struggles. As I said before in a previous post, DF had Battlefront II running on a 1080 and it ran the game fine at 1440 60fps ultra - but soon struggled at 4K, and the 1080 is a lot more powerful then an xbox one x.

the one x is good, and its a lot of power for a console and TBH 30fps on modern TV's is pretty smooth in most cases, so its no slouch, but true 4K /60fps will be for select games.

Careful, I was told to educate myself when I suggested that ...

Caporegime
I agree checkerboard is indiscernible from native and we'd all be playing in ignorant bliss save for those pesky kids at Digital Foundry. I guess now we just wait til November and see how things turn out.

Soldato
Anyone who thought the new Xbox will run every game at 4k/60fps is a bit deluded if I'm quite honest. I said the moment it was announced to my friend they'll be using the checkerboard method.

It'll be like the consoles before, A fair few of the first party games might reach it, Especially if there isn't a great deal happening on screen, but the vast majority of third party titles won't reach it.

Soldato
Isn't thing like first party all running 4k native? For a etc. The problem is what 3rd parties are choosing to use as they might want that power for lighting effects etc.

Soldato
Who cares if you cannot tell the difference.

Oooh, loaded question. If you cant then happy days. IF it ends up like forza (and i think at the moment at least that's probably best case!) where shadows and textures and other details are dynamically scaled down then...maybe. That then depends on our own setup. Ie, 10ft away from a 50" 4k tv...probably not. 20" away from a 4k monitor....probably yes.

Soldato
Honestly I am simply expecting games that will be ~1800p/30 on the Pro to be Native 4K/30 on the X. 4K/60 may be possible on 1st party exclusives (if they prioritise FPS over *shiny*) but multi plats will most likely go for a reasonable middle ground (per above).

Bring on the games :)

Soldato
In all fairness you probably wouldnt notice the difference from checkered (upscaled) 4K to native 4K at a distance.

But it is noticeable having tested it on PC. Nothing quite like native 4K unfortunately although upscaled was still a decent improvement over standard 1080p.

Associate
Interesting thread on Reddit breaking down some common mis-conceptions. I still think its a good package MS has put together though, even with the 4K/60fps debate.

If we look at the Xbox One and PS4 as examples of shared memory, they have 8GB shared but obviously they don't come close to an 8GB video card, they're more similar to a 2GB or 3GB video card with 6GB of system memory. It's not all for the GPU, the part of the game that runs on the CPU needs that memory too!

As for the speed of the shared memory, remember that the memory bandwidth has to be shared between the GPU and CPU. For reference the PS4 had 176GB/sec of memory bandwidth. That sounds great, right? Well it still can't do 16x anisotropic filtering (a feature that relies on extra memory bandwidth) in most games, something that is easy for almost any dedicated GPU. The GTX 950 is way more powerful than the PS4, yet it only has 106GB/sec of memory bandwidth. Even the GTX 960 has less memory bandwidth at 112GB/sec. This is partly due to more efficient architecture with caching and delta compression and tiled rendering, but it's also due to the PS4 having to share that RAM. The CPU needs to use the memory too! The XXX has 326GB/sec while the RX 580 has 256GB/sec. Again, the GTX 1070 actually has the same amount of memory bandwidth as the RX 580 at 256GB/sec, but we know it's much faster.

Microsoft has been talking about 6 TFLOPS a lot, and people have really latched onto it. That's more TFLOPS than a GTX 980 Ti and near the GTX 1070! Oh wait, an AMD RX 580 gets over 6 TFLOPS with boost clocks or overclocking, and that isn't close to a 980 Ti or 1070. You just can't compare TFLOPS on different architectures when talking about game performance. the 6GB GTX 1060 which compares very closely to the RX 580 gets only 3.9 TFLOPS (4.3 with boost clocks). For another comparison, the PS4 gets 1.84 TFLOPS while the GTX 1050 only gets 1.7-1.8, and the GTX 1050 is definitely more powerful.

I've seen lots of people claiming that because the XXX has an 8 core CPU that means you would need an 8 core Ryzen or Skylake-X to compare. This is completely ridiculous because it's the same old Jaguar architecture as the 8 core CPUs in the Xbox One and PS4, which we know sucks. It's like people forgot that the original releases also had 8 core CPUs. It's an architecture designed for tablets. The CPU in the Xbox One and PS4 gets handily beaten by the dual core Pentium G4560, in most games the Pentium gets more than double the performance. Obviously the number of cores is not everything. The XXX increases the clockspeed by about 30%, not enough to close that gap.

The new integrated GPU on the XXX is a modified version of the RX 580, it has more cores but a lower clockspeed. In the end they get pretty similar TFLOPS as the XXX increases the number of cores by about 11% but decreases the clockspeed by about 7% to 13% for boost clock. Sauce, with sauces

Back
Top Bottom