• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Caporegime
The question is, do they need to? Those Xeon chips will be having low clokcs where AMD is able to have high clocks for 16 core threadripper. What has been saving Intel is their higher clockspeed and I really dont see 16/18 or really even the 14 core Intels to have clocks over 1950X or maeby even coming close to it. And like someone said, I dont think AMD will want to compete with their 1P Epyc lineup.

Thats a very good point, the 7800X already needs silly clocks with silly power consumption just to beat the 1800X, it can't even do that in gaming with a 20% higher clock.

Because AMD HEDT SKU's are small CPU'lets "Glued" together they can individually clock high without the power envelope Intel need, AMD can clock them at 3.6 Base clock with 32 cores, i can't remember what EPYC is but its not far off that, 3.4 i think. Intel 24 core Xeon is 2.2Ghz and still far more power hungry.

There is no way Intel can get anywhere near that without needing 400 Watts to power them, actually at 4.7Ghz the 7900X is pulling that much power, its a 10 core. it puts Bulldozer to shame.

Caporegime
Can you imagine if AMD actually released said chip fully unlocked on the HEDT platform, 32 cores would make Intel marketing literally pee their pants.

Not the full fat 32 core, 24 or even 28.... even if they don't need to, i think they should and at way less than the $1,800 team blue are asking for their flagship HEDT, if only just to troll Intel....

Soldato
I'd love to see them unlock the other two dies for 32 core consumer chip just to screw with intel.

Even if it means having a limit of 64 lanes instead of 128 (such hardship).

The TDP might go up a large amount however. The pro 32 core chip is 2.2ghz (boost 3.0) at 180w, the 16 core threadripper is 3.4 (boost 4.0) at 180w

TDP going up is not that much of a big deal considering how big the whole thing is, not to mention we've seen a 220W 8 core from amd before which no one likes to think about. Plus people round here are regularly clocking the nuts off their cpu and I'm not sure everyones aware that causes the TDP to be vastly more than it says on the stock label.

Anyway there's plenty of cooling that can handle 200w+, it's already being done.

Or the flip side is that TDP stays the same and it could come out with low clocks like the EPYC. More likely actually, then all TDP messing about is with the consumer fiddling the clocks themselves.

Man of Honour
Don't think there is anything to suggest they are all necessarily 4 dies the sample size so far it too small to tell - TR might be a mixture of salvaged Epyc and 2 die variants.

Doesn't make much sense to me though with the relative modularity and shared hardware of it I'd have thought they could quite effectively bin with minimal salvaging with very low counts for failed Epyc parts aside from the ones that got damaged in assembly. That said intentionally using 4 dies with some failed cores on each would spread out heat and help with holding higher clock rates, etc. but its not particularly economical as an intended approach.

Caporegime
I had an AM3 board which turned an Athlon II X2 into a Phenom II X4 with the unlock tool. :p

I seem to recall someone getting a single core Sempron which unlocked into a dual core Athlon II as well.

Pretty cool.

Soldato
I can't believe they are actually selling 32c CPUs with half of them disabled to consumers, somebody release a board that can enable the locked cores like the old days and I'll buy this in a heartbeat lol.

Soldato
Yep, which is fair enough and means they are still getting brilliant yields and not wasting cores.

With that it does mean in future maybe Zen2 we could still get 32 core Threadripper because they could place 4 cores in there as needed. So still seems good to me for AMD overall with options to expand if Intel push forward with more cores later or similar.

Associate
It does give AMD flexibility in the future to just release 24 and 32 core models without really much fuss. That really would be sticking the finger up at Intel!

Soldato
Dummy cores? So what AMD told Roman is a lie? Not disabled cores. So either AMD are lieing or PC World are chattin.

which leads to beleive it is actually two ryzen dies and not salvaged Epyc CPUs.

Back
Top Bottom