• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
I'd be very surprised if we don't get a 24 core model soon with 3 dies enabled. However, I'm guessing power consumption may be the limiting factor here... If two enabled are 165w... With four that's going to be a hell of a lot of power and heat

Soldato
It will really upset Intel if you are able to unlock them too, like the 12c/24 to a 24c/48t and so on.

I'm sure some other AMD chips did this in the past but don't remember which.

Caporegime
I'd be very surprised if we don't get a 24 core model soon with 3 dies enabled. However, I'm guessing power consumption may be the limiting factor here... If two enabled are 165w... With four that's going to be a hell of a lot of power and heat

Intel must be biting their nails... they can, so will they, or will they not? iiiiggggnmnnnnnffff.......???????????

Associate
If it was simple and possible, why wouldn't AMD's marketing department be pushing a flagship 32core and making the money it would bring in?

Soldato
AMD already have a 32 core flagship products called Eypc and AFAIK there is a model for 1P motherboards too,so that area is covered.

Threadripper is more a prosumer CPU,and I would imagine AMD doesn't want its 1P 32 core Epyc platform to have internal competition??

Caporegime
AMD already have a 32 core flagship products called Eypc and AFAIK there is a model for 1P motherboards too,so that area is covered.

Threadripper is more a prosumer CPU,and I would imagine AMD doesn't want its 1P 32 core Epyc platform to have internal competition??

Doesn't have to be 32 core HEDT, could be 24 core, that would easily beat out Intel's 18 core HEDT.

Soldato
They'd just lower the clock speed with more cores to fit in the power envelope but the overclocking potential would probably be similar especially with the soldered IHS. Whether they will is another question - they might think there's no market for it right now.

Caporegime
The Intel higher core count CPUs are based on a larger chip than the the Core i7 7900X,so they must be massive and probably clocked very low. Hence,I do wonder whether the 1P Threadripper 32 core platform would be price comparable.

The 18 core HEDT is salvaged from Intel's 24 core 'i think' Xeon, yes its massive. we know the 18 core Intel SKU is $1,800 because Intel already paper launched it.

With AMD's 16 core coming from the same EPYC SKU at $1,000 there is no reason why they can't leave more of the cores unlocked *24, and charge???? $1,400 to really wind Intel up.

Soldato
The 18 core HEDT is salvaged from Intel's 24 core 'i think' Xeon, yes its massive. we know the 18 core Intel SKU is $1,800 because Intel already paper launched it.

With AMD's 16 core coming from the same EPYC SKU at $1,000 there is no reason why they can't leave more of the cores unlocked *24, and charge???? $1,400 to really wind Intel up.

Maybe AMD is having a wait and see approach,or they could point to their proper professional platform with ECC support,etc and say get that over the Intel prosumer CPU??

The 1P EPYC 7401P,is 24C/48T with an RRP of $1075.

Caporegime
Yeah, AMD could release a HEDT processor with anything upto 32 cores tomorrow, the thing already exists.

Maybe it is a case of wait and see, there isn't any need for such a chip yet or maybe in AMD's mind there never will be.

Wait and see.

Associate

The question is, do they need to? Those Xeon chips will be having low clokcs where AMD is able to have high clocks for 16 core threadripper. What has been saving Intel is their higher clockspeed and I really dont see 16/18 or really even the 14 core Intels to have clocks over 1950X or maeby even coming close to it. And like someone said, I dont think AMD will want to compete with their 1P Epyc lineup.

Soldato
Haha, just seen the video. So AMD has a 32C chip up its sleeve for the HEDT platform.

The good thing also is that it won't require a new motherboard if they do ever release it.

Rumour is that the X299 motherboards at the moment can't actually support above the 7900X. So will be released later on new motherboards.

Back
Top Bottom