• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Zenith and 1950X seems the winning combo to me but maybe a bit over kill for just watching YouTube. :D

Caporegime
If you have £1500 to spend you'd be better off getting a 7820X/X299 and a 1080Ti for a gaming setup, or R7 1x00 for better value. Threadripper only really makes sense for productivity etc.

Soldato
Don't the 7820X lose out to even the 1600 in gaming due to arch difference ? Or am i getting mixed up with these damn CPU/GPU numbers ? :o

Associate
Don't the 7820X lose out to even the 1600 in gaming due to arch difference ? Or am i getting mixed up with these damn CPU/GPU numbers ? :o
Average.png

Caporegime
If you have £1500 to spend you'd be better off getting a 7820X/X299 and a 1080Ti for a gaming setup, or R7 1x00 for better value. Threadripper only really makes sense for productivity etc.

The fastest 'Gaming CPU' is the 7700K, there is no petter gaming CPU. if you're looking for a 'Gaming + productivity' setup the Ryzen 1700 offers the best bang for your money, for dedicated productivity the 12 cores 1920X or 16 core 1950X is the one to go for.

SkyLake-X is an odd ball CPU that doesn't really fit in anywhere, its no batter at gaming than Ryzen or Threadripper, for that the 7700K is better than both, in productivity Threadripper / Ryzen offers more at every price point.

(Threadripper gaming performance is assuming its no better than Ryzen, we don't know what impact Quad Channel memory has in Infinity Fabric, yet)

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Threadripper for me seems the perfect CPU for Streaming & Gaming / Gaming and other work flows for me but I am waiting for full reviews before committing.

Caporegime
7700K might be fastest but it's not particularly good value and in some cases more than 4 cores will be beneficial, with Threadripper you're basically paying for cores you'll never use. The 8 core Threadripper looks promising (with cheaper motherboards) which is probably why AMD and motherboard makers have delayed them (got to milk the high end first), 12-16 cores are just a complete waste of money for gaming.

Soldato
7700K might be fastest but it's not particularly good value and in some cases more than 4 cores will be beneficial, with Threadripper you're basically paying for cores you'll never use. The 8 core Threadripper looks promising (with cheaper motherboard) which is probably why AMD and motherboard makers have delayed them (got to milk the high end first), 12-16 cores are just a complete waste of money for gaming.

Once we get to gen 2 of Threadripper I believe we will be there though.

It has already been shown from certain game devs about multi-core/threading will become prominent in the next few years. Certainly not a bad place to be though. The price as well for people who play and stream and have a 2nd screen for other things like internet open etc will all be good for them.

Soldato
From my research the new mesh architecture and gaming don't work well and is slower than the previous gen.

Have you used AMD graphic cards on your research? Or only based on the general reviews of Nvidia ones, with their drivers who seem failing on both Ryzen & SkylakeX/KabylakeX?
Because you wont find but one review of Ryzen with AMD GPU, and none with SkylakeX.

Deleted member 66701

Deleted member 66701

Thermal and power issues have put me off the whole X299 platform.

Associate
Have you used AMD graphic cards on your research? Or only based on the general reviews of Nvidia ones, with their drivers who seem failing on both Ryzen & SkylakeX/KabylakeX?
Because you wont find but one review of Ryzen with AMD GPU, and none with SkylakeX.

Can only go by the data publicly available so far, we won't know until Vega gets tested. Testing older AMD GFX cards on these new platforms would be pointless imo.

Caporegime
7700K might be fastest but it's not particularly good value and in some cases more than 4 cores will be beneficial, with Threadripper you're basically paying for cores you'll never use. The 8 core Threadripper looks promising (with cheaper motherboards) which is probably why AMD and motherboard makers have delayed them (got to milk the high end first), 12-16 cores are just a complete waste of money for gaming.

You're right its horrible value, its why i recommend the Ryzen 1600 for gaming rather than the 7700K and explain why.

Soldato
In the mean time back to the subject.
Things found today, while the E2500U work laptop was building the 73 project solutions, numerous times for various bug fixes & tests, so a lot of downtimes browsing :(
(I am on bug fix duty this week)

a) The MSI carbon supports 3600Mhz ram, while seems pretty descent board and great value. And if I take my experience from the cheap and cheerful X79 GDA it will deliver as good as the 60% more expensive boards.
(Mine did 5Ghz the 4820K without sweat, whole it was the cheapest board at it's day). And yes pointing accusing finger at the Zenith price coming with £100 useless modules to many.

b) The Gaming 7 has already AGESA 1003 bios out, while they have published their RAM support list with speeds up to 2667 only. Even if on their website states 3200OC

c) Got reply from Asrock EU rep, telling me that he going to ask the colleagues at Taiwan about the date Asrock plans to publish the Ram support list for their X399s. I will let you know when I get results back.
(Taichi another great candidate for me)

d) Asked EKWB about availability of waterblocks. Got the reply back "they will be ready on release date". So make sure you have something to cool the CPU, or you going to have many days the £1400+ system just sitting there.............

e) 1920 (non x) is posted on Asrock website for both the X399s, with base speed 3.2Ghz. (go and see).

f) Seems 8Pack going to sell bundles with Zenith and 3466 Ram.

g) Threadrippers are top 2% Ryzen cores, so we might expect 4.1-4.25 being achievable with good custom watercooling. (if not 4.3 and crossing fingers).
That 5.2 on AMD reference board, shows great potential with good custom watercooling.

Thats it. By the time I wrote the above had my second beer while contemplating do I go for the "old days" experience collecting the Threadripper in person (Sat 12th unfortunately) or ask for faceless delivery by a carrier.......

Associate
d) Asked EKWB about availability of waterblocks. Got the reply back "they will be ready on release date". So make sure you have something to cool the CPU, or you going to have many days the £1400+ system just sitting there.............

Cheers for this! I wonder if "on release date" means they'll be with retailers ready for shipping on release date?

Back
Top Bottom