******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Caporegime
Cutlass revamp, it got big.

M1_CWKrj.jpg

Actually that really is quite a big ship now :O

Soldato
I'm sure it will... once VR is nothing more than a check-box enablement in terms of being a fully developed slot-in solution.

It already is pretty much from a technical standpoint. Just a few lines of code to start rendering stereo to the HMD, then plug in the tracking transform and you have the basics.

The bit that takes the time and effort is the design and UX work, that'll never be a drop-in solution.

Ironically, SC being a solely PC-focused game makes VR harder to add later. Console UIs (that ED was always designed with in mind) work quite well in VR so don't require a huge amount of rework. Itty bitty mouse driven PC UIs don't work in VR.

Soldato
Ha ha , yeah maybe thats the way i should look at it...

Ta for the comment :)

It's been 3 years since I chucked money at SC. Every six months or so I download the latest build and have a look at what state it's in.....but I don't plan on playing it seriously at all until release. Don't want to spoilt it!

Soldato
It already is pretty much from a technical standpoint. Just a few lines of code to start rendering stereo to the HMD, then plug in the tracking transform and you have the basics.

The bit that takes the time and effort is the design and UX work, that'll never be a drop-in solution.

Ironically, SC being a solely PC-focused game makes VR harder to add later. Console UIs (that ED was always designed with in mind) work quite well in VR so don't require a huge amount of rework. Itty bitty mouse driven PC UIs don't work in VR.

I agree, however have you played rick and morty VR? if so then you will know what i mean when i say the way the watch works in that.. imagine the mobiglas set up like that..... *drools* especially with steams upcoming controllers...

I do think however, SC should play it very safe with VR and maybe do it similarly to how they are doing this. Release it in modules. IE VR only in ships to start with maybe.

Soldato
not sure about VR myself, i've played a couple arcade games literally years ago and they were good; it works for sitting-in-a-cockpit stuff cos i'll be sitting at a desk, but i think VR whilst walking about whilst sitting at a desk would feel a bit odd. i've seen various comments about the E:D stuff too, apparently it's jaw dropping in a couple of scenarios but greatly frustrating in most of the others. i'd think it's wise for RSI to leave others to get on w/ it and iron out all the bugs etc then install it later, if possible. could be someone else will do a kinda drop-in module for Cryengine that they could use.

Soldato
ta for the info.
you never know, VR might have passed into the "fad" stage by the time SC is actually up and running as a game, so it might be a moot point. or, of course, someone comes up w/ a far better/easier/generic way of implementing such things.

Soldato
They will wait for Lumberyard to do it as that is a big thing for Amazon on their list of them supporting VR so it will save CIG a significant amount of time where they can literally wait 2-3 years for Lumberyard to give them 90% of the code they need and then they can adjust it to suit their requirements.

Soldato
Like I said, it's not the code that is the difficult part. Adding HMD support is easy.

Re-designing your game to work in VR, that's a big job, and no-one's going to provide that for you.

Soldato
That's what I mean, though - SC uses some seriously god-awful nauseating QTEs for things like entering the ship, getting out of bed and all that first person stuff. Once that has been resolved and made non-dizzying, likely by other FPS games, they'll simply rip the code or whatever and adapt it to effectively tack it on to SC.

That, or delay release for another few years while they rewrite the whole game, attempting to keep people interested by issuing new, slightly different game assets for insane money...

Caporegime
I got a refund the games taking far to long already 3 years since i originally pledged and probably another 3 years or more until its ready.
If anyone else wants one just email [email protected] saying the games taking too long or whatever your reasons are and you will get a copy pasta response about the state of the game and saying to reply confirming you still want a refund.

Soldato
I still don't get how people expected a studio that started with 6 people was going to get the largest scaled MMO and single player campaign out in anything less that about 7 years.

I also have been pledged to it for 3 years and am more than happy with it's progress and what has been shown. If it comes out in three years I believe it will be about what is expected from going off a drawing board to full release.

My opinion is:

• Alpha 3.1, 3.2 & 3.3 will be target for up to Gamescom 2018.
  • Alpha 4.0 will be Citizencon 2018 to xmas release early December which is where these 5-10 systems will come into play at earliest.
  • Beta will be 5.0 which will add some final mechanics and where balancing will really start.

Soldato
I'm sure it will... once VR is nothing more than a check-box enablement in terms of being a fully developed slot-in solution.
This isn't how it works whatsoever. You're very much not understanding how fundamentally different VR is as a medium.

VR cannot adapt to Star Citizen. Star Citizen needs to adapt to VR. And it's becoming way too late for that.

More than the endless feature creep and eventual Microsoft intervention on Freelancer? :D
If he fluffs this one up, he'll never work in this town again... but he'll also have skimmed enough profit share that he won't have to care and can go back to making WIng Commander movies!!
I respect Chris Roberts. Even if he overpromises, I still feel he has the potential to deliver something great. There's always something to be said for trying to be ambitious with a great vision. And honestly, he's never had the freedom from deadlines and budget he has now. So we'll see.

I dont want to sound negative. As a huge space sci-fi enthusiast, I want Star Citizen to be the best thing ever. I just kinda wish there was a bit more 'groundedness' in terms of what Chris tells us will be possible. Cuz I'm quite positive VR will not happen. At least not in any acceptable fashion.

Soldato
This isn't how it works whatsoever. You're very much not understanding how fundamentally different VR is as a medium.
Very much not caring, to be honest.
It's the principle of what I was getting at and the result, explained up in Post #7513 rather than any technical details behind the implementation.

TL; DR - They copy/rip-off what everyone else has produced and made the norm.

I respect Chris Roberts. Even if he overpromises, I still feel he has the potential to deliver something great.
I respect some of what he's done in the past.
Of course he has the potential... I've just been gradually losing faith over time, both in what was promised versus what is now promised, and how it's turning out versus what I thought it would be, not helped by a lot of the ship designs and things, coupled with Roberts' reputation of late (ie since 2003) and a number of concerning 'tales' from former employees, etc etc etc....

I just kinda wish there was a bit more 'groundedness' in terms of what Chris tells us will be possible. Cuz I'm quite positive VR will not happen. At least not in any acceptable fashion.
Well, that's part of the problem in having loadsamoney and freedom from deadlines...

Associate
Not being funny, but it's been 5 years almost since the kickstarter. Will there ever be a finished game?

I'm sure it'll get released… when? Throw a dart blind folded at a list of dates pinned to a wall. Ironically, probably the fastest way to ensure that happens sooner rather than later is if everyone stopped giving them money! That'll ensure they'd have to publish something playable to stay in business! Personally if I'd invested in StarCitizen I'd just write my money off as lost & leave them to it & it'll arrive either when it's ready or the bank account is about empty.

Associate
Not being funny, but it's been 5 years almost since the kickstarter. Will there ever be a finished game?
It's the most ambitious game ever made, they have also just moved over to a new engine, opened up 3(?) new studios around the world. That alone takes a lot of time, also, don't forget unlike 'normal' game releases where they have already spent 2 or 3 years in development and then showed to the public via gaming centric media and then released later that year or the next, Star Citizen was a kickstarter, so we've all known about it from pretty much day one. But yes it taking a VERY long time, and are missing every deadline, by months at a time, but I'm happy to wait. It's worth remembering that there have been games that have taken a very long time yet got a free pass for some reason...
Shenmue - 6 years
Star Craft 2 - 7 years
Galleon- 7 years
LA Noire - 7 years
Spore - 8 years
Too Human - 9 years
Team Fortress 2 - 9 years
Prey (original) - 11 years
Diablo 3 - 11 years
Duke Nukem Forever - 15 years

Back
Top Bottom