What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Independence Day Resurgence.

As a standalone brain out film it wasn't too bad, guide funny (not sure if intentional or not) in places, but as a followup to the first it just didn't fit, completely different style of film.

Which will certainly increase it's chance of being on pour telly!

Soldato
Compared to something like The Revenant', I thought it translated pretty well! There's certain scenes that definitely feel more 'cinematic' on the big screen (the helicopter approaching the shell for the first time), but otherwise it's fine.
We watched it small screen over two nights, loved it, this with his earlier Sicario make a modern blade runner follow up more interesting than I would have expected!

Soldato
Detroit 8/10
Superb film.
Centres around a harrowing interrogation of several African American teens, a Motown group and a couple of white girls wrongly accused of shooting at the police/national guard from a motel during the Detroit riots.

Last edited:
Soldato
Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 2.

I was starting to worry about this, as I kept hearing there were too many jokes etc and it got in the way, but I didn't find this at all, not even slightly. I really, really enjoyed it.

9/10

Caporegime
Dunkirk last week with my son. Very good but like a lot of Nolan films it's technically excellent but felt a little bit clinical. 8.5/10 though. Even Mr Stiles was pretty good in it I thought.
Captain America the winter soldier again. Still my favourite Marvel movie so far. 11/10.

Soldato
Finally got to the cinema to watch Spiderman Homecoming. Nice take on the younger Spiderman, coming at it from a different angle from previous movies. I found it quite refreshing, though like others I found him to be too "teched up" by Tony Stark instead of having his natural abilities (where was his spider sense?) I'm looking forwards to seeing what they can do with him as he (and Tom Holland) grow up in future movies. Michael Keaton was great as the baddie, and despite a few big set pieces, it felt like a more down-to-earth, more personable film. It was more Ant-Man than Avengers, but that's okay because you don't want every Marvel film to be about saving the world.

Soldato
War Dogs

Really enjoyed this film. Based on a true story about two American friends who fall into the arms business. At first they enjoy making decent money selling 'crumbs' to the US government. Soon though they land the who pie, a massive deal worth tens of millions and things start to spiral out of control. Jonah Hill steals the show.

PayDay Lover
Associate
Finally got to the cinema to watch Spiderman Homecoming. Nice take on the younger Spiderman, coming at it from a different angle from previous movies. I found it quite refreshing, though like others I found him to be too "teched up" by Tony Stark instead of having his natural abilities (where was his spider sense?) I'm looking forwards to seeing what they can do with him as he (and Tom Holland) grow up in future movies. Michael Keaton was great as the baddie, and despite a few big set pieces, it felt like a more down-to-earth, more personable film. It was more Ant-Man than Avengers, but that's okay because you don't want every Marvel film to be about saving the world.

I think that is a problem with a lot of films these days - they seem to feel the stakes need to be real high with save the world type stuff, when actually much more down to earth style plots are far more enjoyable. Fast & Furious is a good example of a film series that lost its way by going 'bigger' with save the world type plots (regardless of what you think of these films overall, the upscaling to world threats made them worse).
A good action film doesn't have to be life or death of the world (Die Hard 1 a great example of a film with smaller scale)

Soldato
I think that is a problem with a lot of films these days - they seem to feel the stakes need to be real high with save the world type stuff, when actually much more down to earth style plots are far more enjoyable. Fast & Furious is a good example of a film series that lost its way by going 'bigger' with save the world type plots (regardless of what you think of these films overall, the upscaling to world threats made them worse).
A good action film doesn't have to be life or death of the world (Die Hard 1 a great example of a film with smaller scale)
" A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic"

Soldato

To be fair - Fast & Furious were awful from day one! I agree though - less is often more.

Man of Honour
Safety not guaranteed. Better than I thought it would be and Aubrey is hot so that helps.
Also re watched hacksaw ridge, still a brilliant film so good.

Caporegime
Your Name

Finally they are showing this in my local Odeon! This would be the 3rd proper time I have seen this now and still love it, this film really stays with you afterwards long after you leave the cinema, having seen it on the big screen now it makes me love it even more.

Go see it !

p.s. I have seen this with the title track in English and I think the main theme is best in Japanese, I am not sure why, even though i don't understand a single word when the song comes up, it stirs something inside me much stronger than the English version of the song.

daz

daz

Soldato
Dunkirk. Really good. The music was probably a bit much - too loud and I think some silence could have been used to good effect in places but overall a good film.

The standout performance for me was the captain of the Moonstone (the little pleasure yacht).

Back
Top Bottom